A music Nun for Bob!

S.L.I.P.

2 hours ago, InstrEd said:

I see several with wedding rings.  I thought nuns weren't allowed to marry, no?  (I'm not and have never been, Catholic, so I don't know their rules...)

A couple look VERY scary too - probably those teachers I've heard about...

Traditionally, a nun wears a wedding band to symbolize her "marriage" or fidelity to the Church. Nuns and religious sisters commit to vows of "poverty, service, charity and obedience" to the superiors of their religious order, as well as to God.  FYI  :D

4 minutes ago, craigb said:

A couple look VERY scary too - probably those teachers I've heard about...

My wife had some nuns as teachers and she said the same thing.

5 hours ago, craigb said:

I'm not and have never been, Catholic, so I don't know their rules..

As far as I can make out they can do whatever they like as long as they say sorry afterwards.

FYI, if you ever get invited to a Catholic wedding make sure that unfortunately you have other commitments that day. I went to one once because I didn't know that it would be any different to a "regular" one, but I lost the will to live long before they were done with the ceremony.

55 minutes ago, paulo said:

As far as I can make out they can do whatever they like as long as they say sorry afterwards.

FYI, if you ever get invited to a Catholic wedding make sure that unfortunately you have other commitments that day. I went to one once because I didn't know that it would be any different to a "regular" one, but I lost the will to live long before they were done with the ceremony.

Ah, so that's where the line "'Tis better to ask for forgiveness than permission!" comes from, ya?

• Great Idea 1

I do remember a priest telling us that if after urinating "if you shake it more than 3 times, you're playing with it."

Reading what has been in the news in the last few years, was he jealous?

Anyway, I'm glad I'm got out of Catholic school unmolested by a priest.

The nuns inflicted both physical and mental pain on most of us. I think I got a good education there, but there was a heavy price to pay.

1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

The nuns inflicted both physical and mental pain on most of us. I think I got a good education there, but there was a heavy price to pay.

I think my wife would agree with you on the nun part. We sent our daughters to Catholic primary school and the public high school teachers told us they can tell our kids went to private school by the way they behave.  They are more impressed by that then the grades my kids get.  I think the one advantage the private education has is we the parents had to participate in our own children's education with the school.  We have friends that have public school kids and they always complain to us about the school not teaching their kids. I ask them what about you and the reply it is not my job!   I agree when the kids are older but not when they are in primary grades.
We were blessed with great Junior High teachers in the Catholic school that all had advantaged degrees and loved teaching and when by kids wanted to learn extra the teachers pushed them to excel.   But on the flip side the Church had 2 priest removed from the parish because of the scandal.