wiping part of a track

jonathan boose

I could swear I could just drag the smart tool  and drag forward to remove the unwanted part from the beginning or ending. Basically disappear the waveform.

Now I can't do it with any tools. Erase tool  doesn't work either.

Win 10 Pro
Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40 GHz, 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM
64 bit op sys
Lynx Aurora 16 ADC w/ AES16e card

Edited by jonathan boose

I hit "remove automation lane".

Then I automated the track and the mute, because you have to do both, as unbelievably counterintuitive as that may seem, otherwise it won't work.

Then I played the track back, nothing.

Then I remembered that "read" doesn't mean read. It means you have to also have "write" on to read, even though you don't want it, again, as unbelievably counterintuitive and utterly ridiculous as that may seem.

I still can't erase the end of the track like I used to do but at least I have a workaround.

Not solved, beyond kludge. 

Edited by jonathan boose

I'm not sure you have a grasp on how it works. 

There is always more than one way to do the same thing in Cakewalk but I'll explain how I do this and possibly it will help you. 

Record a guitar track. 

If I only need bits and pieces I use split ( hold cursor at position on track and press "S" ) and then I slip edit so only the parts I want are visible.  They are still there if I change my mind but they won't play.  I do this instead of mute I guess. I find this visually helps me "see" when this track has an active part.  

I might at this point apply fade ins and fade outs to the ends of these clips depending on my end goal for this track. I do this a lot on vocal tracks. 

When it comes time to mix the song I activate the "W",  play the song,  and run the fader getting as close as I can.  

As I mix the song I will possibly return to the track and fine tune the envelopes manually. 

NOW- if I want to do any additional slip editing/ copy paste I will have to turn automated lanes on or it won't let me edit. As long as there is a lane for the envelope the track will behave normally for editing.  

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

I'm not sure you have a grasp on how it works. 

I'm not sure you have basic reading comprehension skills. Reread my post.

I've been playing guitar for decades and I don't need any fancy editing skills for that. I'm just trying to either get the auto mute function to work as it should or erase the end of one track.

Edited by jonathan boose
  • Meh 2

This bit is totally wrong 

Then I remembered that "read" doesn't mean read. It means you have to also have "write" on to read, even though you don't want it, again, as unbelievably counterintuitive and utterly ridiculous as that may seem.

I've never need Write on in order for Read to work.

Let me say this politely - you're doing something wrong

Edited by Bristol_Jonesey

8 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

you're doing something wrong

It's called working when I should be sleeping.

Back to the original topic.

Unless I'm mistaken, I used to be able to crop the end of a clip with the smart tool by clicking and dragging. 

And when I started this topic, the erase tool wasn't working. Without doing anything differently, it's working today.

Gremlins?  Maybe a poltergeist?

Edited by jonathan boose

I've used  CW/SONAR since early 90's. I don't recall ever reading, hearing or seeing of something being erased in track view.

Neither have I ever needed to have Write on in order to make Read work. 

AFAIK to get rid of a part of a clip has always included either using Split/Delete (or Mute) or Slip editing.

Sorry if you somehow can read into text a condescending tone?? that's pretty intuitive.   Didn't intend that as that's rude and I am not a rude person. 

Did you try changing the smart tool to an eraser tool? That most certainly will erase parts of tracks. I just tried this to confirm it works. I don't think the multipurpose smart tool becomes an eraser in track view. I cannot get that to happen. It works in PVR. But if I click on the eraser icon it works as expected. 

8 hours ago, Kalle Rantaaho said:

I've used  CW/SONAR since early 90's. I don't recall ever reading, hearing or seeing of something being erased in track view.

I've only been using it since 2006 and I just erased something yesterday using the erase tool in track view. 

Track view is the main editing view, isn't it?

2 hours ago, John Vere said:

Sorry if you somehow can read into text a condescending tone?? that's pretty intuitive.   Didn't intend that as that's rude and I am not a rude person. 

Did you try changing the smart tool to an eraser tool? That most certainly will erase parts of tracks. I just tried this to confirm it works. I don't think the multipurpose smart tool becomes an eraser in track view. I cannot get that to happen. It works in PVR. But if I click on the eraser icon it works as expected. 

'Sorry if you fail to grasp the intricacies and nuance of the English language, deah boy!'

Sorry if I was snippy. 

It's just that it's frustrating when you've been using something for years and people automatically assume you're clueless.

From the OP: The erase tool wasn't working. I know how to use it -- it wasn't working. Now it is, and nobody seems to know why.

4 minutes ago, micv said:

There is an  erase/mute tool short cut is F10.  F5 is the smart tool, don't think smart tool has erase function, just slip edit (shorten or extend a clip's ends) just by dragging the ends

Thanks. 

I probably used the erase tool.  

I do more mixing and recording than editing. I usually get tracks that are already curated and comped or I record them myself, so I wind up either auto muting or erasing, crossfading. 

Maybe some of the functions of the smart tool changed over the years?