Crash when pressing the > play button

Mark Withers

Question

I'm suffering a problem such that when I press the play button on the transport control, cakewalk crashes and shuts down (!@#$%$~!).  At first I thought it was my control surface (Roland V-Studio VS-700C) so I tried using just the mouse (same problem!). The space bar does not exhibit this phenomenon. I have gone so far as to reinstall Cakewalk and ALL the drivers for my interface and control surface (all of which are  V-Studio) and have tried using Win 7 (not supported) and Win 10.

Do any of you have a similar experience?

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Mark Withers said:

I'm suffering a problem such that when I press the play button on the transport control, cakewalk crashes and shuts down (!@#$%$~!).  At first I thought it was my control surface (Roland V-Studio VS-700C) so I tried using just the mouse (same problem!). The space bar does not exhibit this phenomenon. I have gone so far as to reinstall Cakewalk and ALL the drivers for my interface and control surface (all of which are  V-Studio) and have tried using Win 7 (not supported) and Win 10.

Do any of you have a similar experience?

Not here.

Can you give some details as to what plugins you're using.  Maybe hold down shift as you open the project to rule out a plugin issue.

What driver mode are you using?  What sample rate, bit depth and buffer size are you using?

When you reinstalled the drivers for your interface, did you download the latest versions? (using manufacturer's websites rather than Windows updates)

Also, are you using Cakewalk by Bandlab 2020.9 build 006 (Check this with Help | About)

I appreciate your help Promidi.

The sample rate is 44.1K ASIO. I have tried all the other modes as well. Yes, these are the manufacturer's  latest drivers. I might mention that the drives worked fine for quite some time (before).  I've tried moving the buffer sizes around. I only us 16bit. I re-installed BandLab to the most recent available version.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Mark Withers said:

I appreciate your help Promidi.

The sample rate is 44.1K ASIO. I have tried all the other modes as well. Yes, these are the manufacturer's  latest drivers. I might mention that the drives worked fine for quite some time (before).  I've tried moving the buffer sizes around. I only us 16bit. I re-installed BandLab to the most recent available version.

Thanks

Did you try the holding shift while opening to bypass plugins  - just to rule out the possibility of a plugin doing this.....?

This just started happening to me too after the last update! When I click on the transport, it freezes and eventually gives me an ‘unable to open audio playback device’ error. It was working great before the update. All my drivers are updated and my sample rate is consistent. This is frustrating!