[NOT DEAL] Starting Waves wars

Piotr

1 hour ago, Hillmy said:

But I rather not. I like the automated scan. If you scan manually it doesn't give you the notifications of new and removed plugins like the auto scan does. Also, makes you manually have to scan each time you make changes, which I rather be automatic.

Well, I don't install new plugins every single day, but adding 5 minutes to every time I launch Cakewalk to scan all my plugins is absurd.  When I install or remove plugins, a re-scan is part of the process.    Rescanning all my plugins for no reason whatso ever is a time waster.

Yet another problem with the one seat system, wasted time of rescanning.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bapu said:

TIP: Waves (10, 11 or 12) license's can be put on a USB stick that can also be plugged into a USB hub. I do this on both my PC and my MacBook Pro. One license, used on any machine I want anywhere in the world with my USB stick.

image.png.d96abeb7db9ec52e1f582ea2b0557541.png

I have mine on a USB stick as well, however moving the seats back and forth in this manner is really no less of a pain than the transfer via the cloud would be most of the time.  When I take the other computer somewhere, I don't have room for the extra USB hub, I need those seats authorized to the machine.  So effectivly I can use the hub to move the seats, but I'm still having to authorize them using WC and transfer.

And the scanning process is also a big time waster when using the computer with or without the USB or WAVES seats, etc.

2 hours ago, Bapu said:

TIP: Waves (10, 11 or 12) license's can be put on a USB stick that can also be plugged into a USB hub. I do this on both my PC and my MacBook Pro. One license, used on any machine I want anywhere in the world with my USB stick.

image.png.d96abeb7db9ec52e1f582ea2b0557541.png

We had this discussion once before! But the thing is I don't like to use a hub on my laptop. 'Cos another name for a laptop is "mobile computer" and with a hub it is not so mobile anymore! 😆

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Starise said:

I can delete AAX if they install those. I see them phasing out 32bit in the near future. Certainly things could be streamlined a bit better.

This is exactly the point. Finally I have to clean up after each plugin installer, because they mess up my systems:

• Some install AAX (64 and 32 bit, with another interface I don't remember now)
  • Some create additional copies in a Steinberg or VstPlugins subfolder (64 and 32 bit)
  • Some create unnecessary program subfolders for documentation only, but I store all plugin documentation in one location only (no program folder), it is easier to find it.
  • For many you cannot stop creating Vst3 even if you use Vst2 for some reason. This may cause issues, because the Vst3 folder is always scanned.
  • Some create menu entries with some rubbish (like site link, uninstaller that can also be accessed in Windows, ...). If you have a lot of plugins, then you're menu tree gets full of rubbish for almost nothing (I excuse those that have an exe)!
  • Many do not remove all installed files when you remove the plugin
  • and more

So in the end it takes more time to use installers and installation managers (if you want it to be clean) than when you install plugins by hand (zip files) like in the old days! 😆

• Like 4

Although it's very sad, that companies like this are forced to milk their user base to survive, I agree with Piotr and all the good folks here that creating chaos with versioning and plugin formats is not the best way to treat loyal customers. My wallet waves them good-buy. I'll stick with what I have.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, marled said:

This is exactly the point. Finally I have to clean up after each plugin installer, because they mess up my systems...

I had one installer placing the plugin dll in a subfolder in Program Files and all the files that should go into Program Files went to my Vstplugins folder. Go figure out! :D

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I dont like that stuff either.Too convoluted. Im not a big fan of the subscription either. Great prices on bundles and single plugins. Even free ones. Then when you have way too many to back out a new version and WUP up again. It's been every 12 or 14 months for a while hasn't it? That's not really a subscription is it. It's not. But yeah it is.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, marled said:

We had this discussion once before! But the thing is I don't like to use a hub on my laptop. 'Cos another name for a laptop is "mobile computer" and with a hub it is not so mobile anymore! 😆

Well don't carry a power cable with your laptop and hope your battery lasts long enough. 

I'll get me coat.

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, Hillmy said:

The thing I hate most about Waves is the VST shells. Has to be rescanned every time I start Cakewalk! The multiple versions are annoying as well. WUP is just the icing on the shit cake. That's why I never bought any Waves plugins and only got free ones. I also wont be getting WUP. If it becomes a hassle, I will just delete all their plugins. I am making sure I don't need or rely on their plugins, so when the time comes, deleting them wont be an issue.

As others have said by switching to manual scan you avoid that.

2 of things I frequently use in MenuMagic* are
1) Scanning my VSTs on demand without having to run Cakewalk (using MenuMagic's icon tray app shown here)
image.png.7f3c820def1e235538b87de8bd87ce50.png
I run the scanner this way everytime I add, remove or relocate a plugin.
I have Cakewalk set for manual VST scanning for a quick(er) load.

2) Using the Plugin Info Grid to check before downloading or paying for a plugin to verify that I don't already own it.
image.png.36059279db69dfb3a922e0bc8f30551b.png

* Forgive the plug for my retail app but it seemed appropriate in the context of this discussion.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 3

Great idea @Piotr and one that I will support via an email to Waves!

When they first brought out v11 I carefully followed their procedure to upgrade the plugins that would allow it and I was amazed that it worked and all of my v9, v10 and v11 plugins happily co-existed. However, I was well aware of the problems that others had experienced and knew that I was probably just lucky. Well that was on the old PC!!! Read on...

On my new PC (in July 2020) I wanted to keep everything neat and tidy so created VST64 and VST32 folders (for any plugins that insisted on installing 32 bit versions). I deliberately held off installing Waves plugins until much later in the migration process knowing that they have their own ideas about where they are going to install. Initially I installed v10 and v11 plugins as these did not require an offline installer. That all went well so I did a backup and next tried installing the v9 plugins using the offline installer.

End result....ALL OF MY WAVES PLUGINS WERE TRASHED!! Literally none of the Waves plugins worked any more - they would scan but not load or some other errors or issues. I was very pleased that I took a backup before doing the v9 install which I quickly restored.

Looking for a quick solution (I still haven't heard back from Waves when I raised a support ticket) I decided to WUP the v9 plugins that I still use and have used on a great many projects. That worked and I was then able to install the missing plugins which all worked fine. I appreciate that v9 plugins are out of their support period but I didn't expect them to break all of my other Waves plugins!! I have plenty of other old plugins that still work and don't break anything when I install them. The cynic in me can't help but think that it is some kind of ploy by Waves to get people to WUP their plugins so that they can extract as much money as possible from their customers. So you think that plugin you just bought was a bargain at $29...think again as it will cost you more in the long run.

I also hate the use of multiple Waveshells which causes unnecessary scanning every time I run my DAW(s) - I have it set to manual scan in CbB and disabled in Studio One purely because of Waveshell.  I'm also not happy with Waves Central and plugin managers in general as it makes it impossible to use tools like Revo Uninstaller to back out of bad installations.

Edited by ZincT
typos
  • Like 2

WavesCentral, it looks like a lot of developers spent a lot of productive, valuable time creating utterly counterintuitive hoops that users must painfully navigate.

All to protect what amounts to a bunch of $29 plugins.

But while we gripe, it's fair to acknowledge Waves has given us a slew of decent-to-high quality plugins for $29. You would have killed for that 20 years ago.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ZincT said:

I decided to WUP the v9 plugins that I still use and have used on a great many projects...

If you WUP them does it mean they get upgraded to v12? Will they still open and play fine in projects where they was previously used as v9?

I'm wondering if I upgrade my v11 plugins that are still in the grace period, will they then open and play fine as a new v12 versions in my projects created while they were still v11. Hope that makes sense. I had a problem in the past with updating waves plugins between some v9 editions, like v9r03->v9r06 or something like that, they wouldn't want to open in Cakewalk and I had to reinstall the old version, save presets of the plugins that were used in my project and then reload these presets in the new versions. Sick.

Edited by chris.r

9 minutes ago, chris.r said:

If you WUP them does it mean they get upgraded to v12? Will they still open and play fine in projects where they was previously used as v9?

Yes they get upgraded to v12 and they still load fine on old projects that used v9 before.