[NOT DEAL] Starting Waves wars

Piotr

Hi guys,

if you know me a little you know how much I hate not optimized for workflow and not thoughtful design...

I have been complaining about it a lot...

But after wasting time to clean after plugin managers again and again... I decided to try again to approach developer with some  attempts to force them to start understand at last it is not minor issue making their users to waste time and make then angry...

So this is my post to Waves:

Feel free to join to make them to notice a problem after so many years of ignoring it... Or if you prefer feel free to show them your love for such approach... 😛

Here are  my words:

----

Hello

You are very experienced plugin company, I like your plugin as despite of trends or fashion the only rule if sounds good then sounds good.  So even for oldest plugins if it sounded in records few year ago it would probably still sound good.

But there is one thing you should be ashamed of...  Seriously...

Why WaveCentral is still (it continues it by so many years) so mindless?
To be specific:

1. Why I cannot set which folder for VST I wish to pick?? Instead it is forced...
2. Why I cannot decide which version of plugins I want to have installed? VST or VST3 ? 64-bit and NOT 32-bit!
3. Why it is forcing install AAX version of plugins for users who never got Pro Toolls ???
4. Why WC is trashing my disk and precious place with all possible versions?
In consequences VST scanning last few times more than it should !

It is kind of laziness and - forgive harsh word - mindless of designers/developers to assume 'less needed support when putting everything everywhere' so it is good...

Even very small developers started many years ago to provide installers when we could pick where to install and what version to install to minimize space disk used and time needed for VST scans !

I beg you please give us more love and respect. For out space, time, nerves.

Best regards,
Piotr

Edited by Piotr
  • Like 9

I'm far more concerned with the fact every single time I've upgraded to a new version WC has broken my plugins.

9 ->  10 all version 9s no longer worked and since I wasn't on WUP for 9 support would not provide assistance....so 9s left to rot

10-11 (smoothest thus far) but the scans and authorizations did not work properly on all computers.

11-12  most worked fine, but Berzerk does not work on one of my machines after the move to 12 (and I have more than one license for it).  Other computer seems to work ok.

Then we have the 1 seat per purchase rule which means the plugins basically cost double what every other company charges for those of us that use more than one machine and don't want to be botehred every single day transfering the seat back and forth.

The extra space and install path is annoying, but not on the same level of magnitue that breaking and lack of support provide along with treating customers like criminals with one single install.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The ENTIRE process could be vastly facilitated easily...and they should eliminate WUP
altogether, and just go to a standard "upgrade model", like most developers do...that way,
If you want to, you can, and if you don't, you don't have to.  Just MO.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Brian Walton said:

I'm far more concerned with the fact every single time I've upgraded to a new version WC has broken my plugins.

9 ->  10 all version 9s no longer worked and since I wasn't on WUP for 9 support would not provide assistance....so 9s left to rot

10-11 (smoothest thus far) but the scans and authorizations did not work properly on all computers.

11-12  most worked fine, but Berzerk does not work on one of my machines after the move to 12 (and I have more than one license for it).  Other computer seems to work ok.

Then we have the 1 seat per purchase rule which means the plugins basically cost double what every other company charges for those of us that use more than one machine and don't want to be botehred every single day transfering the seat back and forth.

The extra space and install path is annoying, but not on the same level of magnitue that breaking and lack of support provide along with treating customers like criminals with one single install.

Pretty nasty thing :(  
While I am not experiencing 
it (so far) and having all 9,10,11,12 working (although did not try every of them yet) I can imaging such thing could make me insane crazy :(

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cclarry said:

The ENTIRE process could be vastly facilitated easily...and they should eliminate WUP
altogether, and just go to a standard "upgrade model", like most developers do...that way,
If you want to, you can, and if you don't, you don't have to.  Just MO.

I agree but at this juncture, they have the model of confusion that generates money (even people in this deals forum are clueless and buy WUP for basically no real world reason).

Once they make it clear that the next version doens't actually provide any type of upgrade, they are less likley to see revnue.  (this v12 with pluign resizing is about the only "upgrade" they have really ever done.    

• Like 7

The thing I hate most about Waves is the VST shells. Has to be rescanned every time I start Cakewalk! The multiple versions are annoying as well. WUP is just the icing on the shit cake. That's why I never bought any Waves plugins and only got free ones. I also wont be getting WUP. If it becomes a hassle, I will just delete all their plugins. I am making sure I don't need or rely on their plugins, so when the time comes, deleting them wont be an issue.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Hillmy said:

The thing I hate most about Waves is the VST shells. Has to be rescanned every time I start Cakewalk! The multiple versions are annoying as well. WUP is just the icing on the shit cake. That's why I never bought any Waves plugins and only got free ones. I also wont be getting WUP. If it becomes a hassle, I will just delete all their plugins. I am making sure I don't need or rely on their plugins, so when the time comes, deleting them wont be an issue.

The rescan you can disable.

29 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Sure we can disable lot of things but not every person like it. I like very much CbB (Sonar inherited) ability to VST rescan online even during active session.

Waves is slowing down significantly all scans by its mad amount of shells (VST 32 and 64 , VST3 32 and 64, for some people AAX etc  and Waves Version specific)

I would like to use - let's say -  just 64-bit VST3 and done.

I can manually remove anything else but we know... WC will install it again and consider installation is broken (like NA, why lack of 32bit plugins is to be considered as broken? lol)

I wish developers focus on understanding what users need instead of forcing to them what they thing users should need.... That's all. It is so simple but not for them ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hillmy said:

The thing I hate most about Waves is the VST shells.

This ^^^

and that you can only use the plugins on 1 single computer (I don't have any free USB's on my laptop and they don't support iLok any longer).

• Like 2

I just updated recently since I have paid up until mid 2021 for most of what I have. Waves leave the plugins in the cloud, then you have to sign in to transfer the licenses back to a usb drive. This saves them the trouble of dealing with your setup. 

I guess the other stuff doesn't drive me nuts. I can delete AAX if they install those. I see them phasing out 32bit in the near future. Certainly things could be streamlined a bit better. No argument there. I'm a hobbyist . I don't think I've ever used all of my plugins. If I'm making a project I do my best to make sure the plugins are working. If I run into trouble I use something else that gets the job done. I guess you could call me passive like that.  It's like using screwdrivers. If one of them is bent I grab another one and deal with it at a later time.  If I repeatedly have trouble after updates and upgrades I might consider simply dumping that company and not going back. With me so far, things haven't gotten to that point with Waves. They make good plugins business model aside. 

Marled I thought the last update lets you use two computers?  That was one of the selling points I thought?

In any case I'm not defending or negative toward them. For me it's path of least resistance. I use what I have that works well :)

3 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

But I rather not. I like the automated scan. If you scan manually it doesn't give you the notifications of new and removed plugins like the auto scan does. Also, makes you manually have to scan each time you make changes, which I rather be automatic.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, marled said:

This ^^^

and that you can only use the plugins on 1 single computer (I don't have any free USB's on my laptop and they don't support iLok any longer).

8 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I don't like their licensing.  I have 2 machines and I've bought 2nd licenses.  It gets to be a money pit.

TIP: Waves (10, 11 or 12) license's can be put on a USB stick that can also be plugged into a USB hub. I do this on both my PC and my MacBook Pro. One license, used on any machine I want anywhere in the world with my USB stick.

image.png.d96abeb7db9ec52e1f582ea2b0557541.png

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Piotr said:

Hi guys,

if you know me a little you know how much I hate not optimized for workflow and not thoughtful design...

I have been complaining about it a lot...

But after wasting time to clean after plugin managers again and again... I decided to try again to approach developer with some  attempts to force them to start understand at last it is not minor issue making their users to waste time and make then angry...

So this is my post to Waves:

Feel free to join to make them to notice a problem after so many years of ignoring it... Or if you prefer feel free to show them your love for such approach... 😛

Here are  my words:

----

Hello

You are very experienced plugin company, I like your plugin as despite of trends or fashion the only rule if sounds good then sounds good.  So even for oldest plugins if it sounded in records few year ago it would probably still sound good.

But there is one thing you should be ashamed of...  Seriously...

Why WaveCentral is still (it continues it by so many years) so mindless?
To be specific:

1. Why I cannot set which folder for VST I wish to pick?? Instead it is forced...
2. Why I cannot decide which version of plugins I want to have installed? VST or VST3 ? 64-bit and NOT 32-bit!
3. Why it is forcing install AAX version of plugins for users who never got Pro Toolls ???
4. Why WC is trashing my disk and precious place with all possible versions?
In consequences VST scanning last few times more than it should !

It is kind of laziness and - forgive harsh word - mindless of designers/developers to assume 'less needed support when putting everything everywhere' so it is good...

Even very small developers started many years ago to provide installers when we could pick where to install and what version to install to minimize space disk used and time needed for VST scans !

I beg you please give us more love and respect. For out space, time, nerves.

Best regards,
Piotr

Amen !!!

I also contacted AAS , as there's DLL all other the place for NI KK ect ....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1