Scary Deal - Acustica Audio Sand

cclarry

23 hours ago, Zo said:

Larry have you seen a deal on Magenta ? MAnley is what i need i'm pretty covered with ssl (Vertigo VSC 3 , VSC 2 , Duende, Waves , IK , NI, Townhouse ect ...) 

Last year at Black Friday, Magenta5 was 70% off (€199 -> €60) and personal discounts could stack. That doesn't mean it'll happen again this year of course, just that it might be waiting a few weeks to see.

And Zo, sorry I didn't fully get your last post. By "not pretty" on the SSL comps, did you mean that no plugin really stood up to hardware, or that some plugins were much better than others?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mister_tea said:

And Zo, sorry I didn't fully get your last post. By "not pretty" on the SSL comps, did you mean that no plugin really stood up to hardware, or that some plugins were much better than others?

Yeah, same here.

Just now, Mesh said:

How do you guys like this Sand 3 plugin so far?

The Acustica plugins are quite nice.  I definitely feel that they are the closest to 
Analog that you can get, but UAD is REALLY close, and actually better in the respect
that they are able to offload the CPU hit to the DSP.  The other thing that is unique,
and special, about UAD is the "Unison" technology that allows the preamps in the 
interface to emulate the actual preamps in the plugins!  THAT is really a "game changer"
to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In all my tests the most analog sounding would be Softube / kush (AR 1 , novatron) and some brands here and there (Kanglem , ddmf magic death eyes , arousor ect ..) 

Testing heavy the acustica , same feeling i had back then (that said engine seems way more solid) : static , no life ... 

They got the first contact with sound spot on (attack disto ect with first transients) but the time is not even bad but non existent , zero grouve or mouvement , i tried diffrent calibration , no way ....i might be a purist or crazy but this is what i feel ..

Can't comment on uad  , but HW would be HW , more than never i'm conisdering it because now we have total recall and full analog (Wes audio , tegeler audio , better maker ect ...) 

Pretty sure we spent the equivaklent in plugins to a good buss comp and eq (or something like ssl fusion) my waves mercury alone could have been one thingy 

Sure plugins are unbeatble when it comes to tools and utilities (stereo imager , metering , analysis, desseing , multinand ec) but for fundamentals (compression , EQ, saturation) , nope  ... (i tired silver buller , black box , and ssl fusion versus drive i have , the only one that deosn't fails is true iron isnce it keeps the contour even if driving) 

Edited by Zo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Larry Shelby said:

The Acustica plugins are quite nice.  I definitely feel that they are the closest to 
Analog that you can get, but UAD is REALLY close, and actually better in the respect
that they are able to offload the CPU hit to the DSP.  The other thing that is unique,
and special, about UAD is the "Unison" technology that allows the preamps in the 
interface to emulate the actual preamps in the plugins!  THAT is really a "game changer"
to me.

yup, it attracts me too but let's not forget UAD plugins require UAD hardware

10 hours ago, Zo said:

but HW would be HW

Zo, there is no theoretical obstacle software emulate 100% hardware. Even if it is still not the case it will...  This is why I like AA customer approach very much...

One day they will make some updates and after then even Zo will hear no difference hw vs soft  😛

And not that you will be so old you will lose your hearing ;)  Progress in software development is really huge.

AI is still in premature stage about applications for us.... But it will change dramatically... So be careful with investing too much in hardware ;)

HAAS is great option.