Plugins not Recording or Working Properly

Donal McCarron

Just downloaded Cakewalk a few days ago and using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and having a few difficulties with lack of sounds.

1. I followed one of the YouTube( Creative Sauce one) videos to record a simple drum beat( from the the drums plugin provided) but when I go through it step by step it just doesn't record anything for some reason....when I play it back the track is blank 

2. I have got my electric guitar playing through the Scarlett on the software but when I try to add TH3 Amps and effects( I can successfully  add the pedal, Amp and Cabinet in the window and they are switched on) the Level( the yellow, green, red gauge just remains greyed out) doesn't pick up anything up so I don't get the desired effects on the Guitar.

Have tried doing 1 & 2 several times by deleting tracks and starting over again but yo no avail as the issues remain.

Any help on these would be very much appreciated

1) Please provide a link to the Creative Sauce video so we can begin to guess what you possibly did wrong.
Together with that, maybe you don't have any sound coming from Cakewalk. Is the track actually blank (ie no midi info in the track) or do you just not hear anything?

A screenshot of your trackpane after trying to record will help. (A picture speaks a thousand words.)

2) A screenshot please.

Thanks for the reply Nigel, I actually got the #2 issue sorted out with a bit of tinkering. I had to put the Output Echo on and actually had the TH3 plugin on mute so both those things combined sorted the problem!

With regards #1 See below the link for the Creative Sauce video I was following up until 10:00mins.....basically I follow the steps add the Drumkit and record a drumbeat, but when I play it back the track is just blank so it is obviously not picking it up for some reason. 

https://youtu.be/YZqXiL2L36g

This is a screenshot of after the track has been recorded

Drun_Track.JPG

Edited by Donal McCarron
Added Screenshot

5 hours ago, Donal McCarron said:

Thanks for the reply Nigel, I actually got the #2 issue sorted out with a bit of tinkering. I had to put the Output Echo on and actually had the TH3 plugin on mute so both those things combined sorted the problem!

With regards #1 See below the link for the Creative Sauce video I was following up until 10:00mins.....basically I follow the steps add the Drumkit and record a drumbeat, but when I play it back the track is just blank so it is obviously not picking it up for some reason. 

https://youtu.be/YZqXiL2L36g

This is a screenshot of after the track has been recorded

Drun_Track.JPG

What MIDI device are you using to play the drums with?

Because, from what I can see you are using a virtual controller (VrtIcntrl0). You need to go into Preferences, MIDI and where it says 'Inputs', select your midi controller (The midi device connected to your computer).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, zaquria said:

Because, from what I can see you are using a virtual controller (VrtIcntrl0). You need to go into Preferences, MIDI and where it says 'Inputs', select your midi controller (The midi device connected to your computer).

I tested it and the virtual controller works. 😀

My previous reply seems to have disappeared.
1) Do you click the Record Button as well? The Red button on the track is Record Arm.
2) While you are recording, do you hear the drums?

5 hours ago, Donal McCarron said:

I actually got the #2 issue sorted out with a bit of tinkering. I had to put the Output Echo on and actually had the TH3 plugin on mute so both those things combined sorted the problem!

I'm not sure how that would have fixed the issue for you tbh.

All you would be doing then is have a dry sound of the guitar without the effects from TH3.

Sounds like you are getting the sound from direct monitoring from the Focusrite Scarlett. Unless there is a specific reason you need to listen to the Focusrite Scarlett direct monitor, turn it off.

1. Add a audio track,
  2. Drag TH3 into the FX bin of the Audio track.
  3. On the Audio Track (after the Gain), these is a select option (it has a small square with an I). Select your Focusrite Scarlett and choose the left or right track (not stereo) determined by which jack you have your guitar in on the Focusrite Scarlett. Click on the Option Echo on.
  4. Select a preset from TH3.

You should hear your guitar going through the audio channel and the now.

12 minutes ago, Nigel Mackay said:

Only if he is using his Computer Keyboard as a midi controller, but not if he is using an external midi controller, hence the reason I asked.

Edited by zaquria
  • Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 3:56 PM, zaquria said:

I don't have any Input for MIDI se screenshot below:

image.png.b20708fc83e6bc52e5d73063989866ac.png

On 10/27/2020 at 3:56 PM, zaquria said:

On 10/27/2020 at 4:14 PM, Nigel Mackay said:

My previous reply seems to have disappeared.
1) Do you click the Record Button as well? The Red button on the track is Record Arm.
2) While you are recording, do you hear the drums?

Yes, I can hear the Drums while I am recording but there is nothing coming up in the sound file so I know it is not recording it 

On 10/27/2020 at 4:26 PM, zaquria said:

Only if he is using his Computer Keyboard as a midi controller, but not if he is using an external midi controller, hence the reason I asked.

I tried recording a Drum track this evening after recording a guitar and vocal track but again it didn't record.....I set the Input to the SD Drumkit but still didn't work

image.thumb.png.5eaf785e92a78d40286139297b43750c.png

4 hours ago, Donal McCarron said:

I tried recording a Drum track this evening after recording a guitar and vocal track but again it didn't record.....I set the Input to the SD Drumkit but still didn't work

Set the input to the drum kit to 'None'. That will set Omni input for the instrument, so if you are using a virtual controller or any other, it will route the MIDI correctly.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, abacab said:

Set the input to the drum kit to 'None'. That will set Omni input for the instrument, so if you are using a virtual controller or any other, it will route the MIDI correctly.

I have done that but now cannot hear the Drums at all now!! see the seceenshot below

image.thumb.png.d63c6b3419db66c36fa61e01b9df7b54.png

Start a new )Basic) project.
Insert the drums.
Open the drum GUI.
Click on the snare.
Do you hear it?

You still haven't said. What to do you use to make drum notes? Keyboard plugged into the Focusrite? The Virtual Controller (PC Keyboard)?

Please don't tell us that you are clicking the drums in the GUI. Because that is for auditioning drumkits, not for recording.

2 hours ago, Nigel Mackay said:

Start a new )Basic) project.
Insert the drums.
Open the drum GUI.
Click on the snare.
Do you hear it?

You still haven't said. What to do you use to make drum notes? Keyboard plugged into the Focusrite? The Virtual Controller (PC Keyboard)?

Please don't tell us that you are clicking the drums in the GUI. Because that is for auditioning drumkits, not for recording.

Ahhh Okay the penny drops! Yes I was actually using the GUI when recording as it didn't say in the video that for recording purposes the GUI is not functional...,,,,I was using the drums GUI for recording!!!! ..thanks for the info .......

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nigel Mackay said:

Somebody should probably sticky that comment! This is not the first time. 😉

2 hours ago, Donal McCarron said:

Ahhh Okay the penny drops! Yes I was actually using the GUI when recording as it didn't say in the video that for recording purposes the GUI is not functional...,,,,I was using the drums GUI for recording!!!! ..thanks for the info .......

If you could use the GUI Mike would have shown doing it. As it is, he said he's moving over to his keyboard to record the bass and drums. 😀

VST instruments ONLY work with MIDI data. Apart from recording live audio that is what a DAW does: Midi-Data -> VSTi -> Audio -> FX -> Export-Audio.

The MIDI data can come from a MIDI controller (keyboard, keypad, MIDI guitar) or MIDI data can be written into the PRV.

What you can do is find a groove that you fancy from the presets in the GUI and drag and drop it onto the track. The needed MIDI notes will be added to the track.

The addition of synth audio recording a few years ago made it possible to record audio from synths that have an audition feature such as SI-Drums.

That said, I suspect most find it easier to enter MIDI than use the plug-in UI to record a audio.

There are several ways to add MIDI data to a project without a hardware controller.

Discussed at length here

21 hours ago, Nigel Mackay said:

If you could use the GUI Mike would have shown doing it. As it is, he said he's moving over to his keyboard to record the bass and drums. 😀

VST instruments ONLY work with MIDI data. Apart from recording live audio that is what a DAW does: Midi-Data -> VSTi -> Audio -> FX -> Export-Audio.

The MIDI data can come from a MIDI controller (keyboard, keypad, MIDI guitar) or MIDI data can be written into the PRV.

What you can do is find a groove that you fancy from the presets in the GUI and drag and drop it onto the track. The needed MIDI notes will be added to the track.

Yes indeed he does say he is moving across to the the Keyboard to record the Bass in the video but he doesn't explicitly say that you cannot record drums vis through the GUI! Anyway thanks for the reply and that's a really good tip about  dragging and drop it onto the track because there was some pretty good grooves in there alright. 

• Like 1