Mastering app? Landr?

Laurence Levin

Hi! I've been using Bandlab exclusively the last few months, but I have a Sonar Artist license. I see on my Cakewalk by Bandlab utility menu an option for Cakewalk Landr mastering, but the app isn't installed. Is this still available? Can I get it through my Sonar Artist license? Is it any good?

This is no longer available with CbB, as BandLab offer their own free mastering service.

Re-installing SONAR Artist through the Cakewalk Control Center should make this available again.  I can't recall whether a custom install will allow you to only install the LANDR export utility, but it might be worth giving it a try.

Normally we recommend installing SONAR first (to get all the included 3rd party software), then Cakewalk by BandLab afterwards as it updates some shared components, but in theory, the SONAR Artist installer should leave any newer shared components alone.

Bandlabs free mastering service? Sounds interesting - do you know how is this accessed and what do they require from the user?

Edit: I just did some research and I cannot find out where my project library is as I understand I can click on a wav file and basically master it from within  CbB.  There doesnt seem to be too much information about though. Does it only work with a mono/stereo file or can it master a complete project with multiple tracks? 

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Edited by brandon

Thanks for the link above - however it states  "Another way to integrate mastering into your workflow is using the drag-and-drop functionality in the Tree View. Head to ‘Projects’ click the track you want to add a revision to, drag the track over the existing version and drop it in. Next you will see the save screen pop-up with mastering options to choose from: Automated, Manual or Off".

I am at a loss as to what the 'Tree View' is and where 'Projects' are if anyone is able to enlighten me?  In the Projects folder on my hard drive there is nothing in any of the songs individual folders that allows me to click on and send it for mastering.

Thanks in advance.

6 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Re-installing SONAR Artist through the Cakewalk Control Center should make this available again.  I can't recall whether a custom install will allow you to only install the LANDR export utility, but it might be worth giving it a try.

Unlike X3 and older there are no advanced install options for products installed using Cakewalk Control Center. Instead the products are broken out into multiple installers.

Regardless, core applications such as the programs in Shared Utilities always require installing the DAW regardless of the whether the installer has an advanced install option or not. For those products with an advanced install option, there is a drop down menu with a MInimal Installation option above the plug-in pick list to install the smallest functioning DAW possible.

1 hour ago, brandon said:

Thanks for the link above - however it states  "Another way to integrate mastering into your workflow is using the drag-and-drop functionality in the Tree View. Head to ‘Projects’ click the track you want to add a revision to, drag the track over the existing version and drop it in. Next you will see the save screen pop-up with mastering options to choose from: Automated, Manual or Off".

I am at a loss as to what the 'Tree View' is and where 'Projects' are if anyone is able to enlighten me?  In the Projects folder on my hard drive there is nothing in any of the songs individual folders that allows me to click on and send it for mastering.

Thanks in advance.

I believe these details refer to the online Bandlab app and not the DAW (and projects) on your hard drive.

• Like 2

Thanks so much for the info. I'm the OP, and I admit that I'm ignorant of what mastering does except that it seems to make everything louder. 

I tried using the Bandlab mastering - I tried the clarity setting. It wasn't ideal for my track. I'll try the CD setting next time. Thanks, L

3 hours ago, brandon said:

Thanks in advance.

You first need to export your Cakewalk project to BandLab using the Export Module, then log in to BandLab via your browser to access the project that has been uploaded:

image.png.70b4126333d6fe09a92f92d7d28192ac.png

Once you're logged in, click on your project, e.g.:

image.thumb.png.604807562bc24f31015480d5348553a9.png

Next, select the menu on the right to master your track:

image.thumb.png.bd125354f6a5a7391888a1768ef174d4.png

• Like 1

Msmcleod - thank you. I have a couple of extra questions if you dont mind?

1) I dont have the option to export to Bandlab (whilst in CbB). The only options are export to Audio, Video, Midi groove Clip, OMF or Track Template. Is there something I need to do to facilitate this?

2) When i finally do get to export to Bandlab will it export my project as a stereo wav file or will it be as multitracks?

3)  I have looked at the stand alone online version of the mastering tool and I  noticed there does not seem to be a way to download the newly mastered track. Again, am I missing something here?

And I do sincerely apologise to the OP and others - it does look like I am hijacking this topic I just went off on a tangent I guess. 

Many thanks

If I remember how i did it when i tried it out a while back 

1. I rendered the file as a wav format. It did not go to bandlab via exporting out of cbb

2 i uploaded my wav to bandlab and did the mastering process

3 i was able to download the mastered file but dont recall how

• Thanks 1