Bandlab Assistant will not install....

Brandon Bowles

• Bandlab Assistant wasn't updating Cakewalk
  • Tried to update BLA with "Update" button, didn't work
  • Tried to uninstall and update with manual download from website
  • Installation just hangs indefinitely with green progress bar at about 25%

I don't know why Bandlab Assistant hasn't been ditched b/c there seems to be consistent issues with it, but has anybody else had this particular problem and figured out a solution or workaround???

I had the same problem recently. I had to find the Bandlab Assistant installer file and delete it from my computer, then download a new Bandlab Assistant installer file from the website (they are all apparently named "bandlab-assistant-windows-latest.exe). Using the actual really latest version I was able to run it, getting a warning that Bandlab Assistant was already running and checking the button to close it. 

Might be a good idea to name the installer files with the version number, since the old one is always going to be named "...latest" too, and there is obviously room for confusion.

Edited by slartabartfast

It is still a major PITA that they never seemed to de bug the installer.  I get the notice to update Calkwalk and if the assistant also say's it needs updating I have to jump through the Assistant hoops to get it working.

Delete all old installers from your download folder

Don't bother clicking the assistants update button it never works, go to the website and re get the latest version. 

Make sure the old version is closed and not running via Task manager or system tray. 

• Like 1

For clarification, I am talking about the downloaded installer from the website.  I am trying to install the version that I downloaded from the website because the "Update" button was not working through Bandlab Assistant.  Nothing is working.  I have tried uninstalling the old version and that has not worked either.  So I am basically stuck to where I can no longer update Cakewalk b/c the Bandlab Assistant app is not functioning properly and will not even install anymore.  

The installer just gets stuck indefinitely at the point shown in the attached photo.

Screenshot 2020-10-25 211428.png

Edited by Brandon Bowles

Thanks Jonesey Your a friggin Guinness , whoops I mean Genius. That worked brilliantly. I remember being told about the new feature and totally spaced that. It's a more complete dialog as well. I just installed Version 061 early access, cool. I will now delete the Bandlab assistant from my system...

So are the rest of you paying attention? seems not...  

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Why bother with the Assistant?

TZVKtsC.jpg

Because it is required to update, unless you know a workaround that I am unaware of.  I would love it if you do.  Btw, I am trying to update to 2010.09.  So I can't do the Early Access as it requires the last full update which would be 2010.09.

Bandlab.JPG

Edited by Brandon Bowles

So i got to think...if it begins to install...it probably would have downloaded what's needed for installation.

I found the Bandlab update installer. It is in:

C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Local\bandlab-assistant-updater\pending\Bandlab Assistant Setup 6.1.0.exe

Run it as admin. It should be 56 mb.

So....

For those with this same issue, here is what I found that worked.  When I originally uninstalled Bandlab Assistant there were two versions showing in the  "Apps" list in Windows 10. 

• Bandlab Assistant 5.6.xxxxx
  • Bandlab Assistant 6.xxxxxx

Can't remember the exact version numbers.  I uninstalled the most recent one that was on my system.  Version 6.xxxx.  I then tried to uninstall the older 5.6.xxxx version but could not, because it kept giving me an error message that it couldn't locate the file, but it was still showing in the "Apps" list and I couldn't get rid of it.  Finally, it dawned on me that there may be some type of residual left over stuff in the registry.  I used the program "Ccleaner" and it's uninstall feature to delete BLA from the "Apps" list and it removed whatever was left over in the registry and VOILA, I was able to install the latest BLA version.

Hopefully that helps someone who may be having the same issues.

Edited by Brandon Bowles

I think you found the issue. I just looked in the apps list too and your right. Two versions yet only one , the newest will uninstall. So I think when you try to update the app it thinks there's a version still running so it hangs up. They need to fix the installer so that it removes the older version and cleans things up. 

And also as you say, I fired up my office computer and Cakewalk was out of date. So while I was buggering around with the assistant I deleted the new version. I opened Cakewalk and it allowed me to download the new version but then you do get the pop up saying you need the latest Assistant to proceed. SO we are still stuck with this buggy system to update. 

2020-10-26 (1).png

2020-10-26 (2).png

2020-10-26 (3).png

2020-10-26.png

Before and after uninstalling all instances of B-A and installing the latest version, the only way it will open is from the systray (hidden icons).

All desktop icons are rendered useless without first quitting it from the systray. 😲

Edited by sjoens

• 7 months later...
37 minutes ago, marc williams said:

We shouldn't have to do a "Work Around". Why can't they just "fix it"?

I don:t know if you've read the recent release notes but you no longer need BA to update Cakewalk. You can do it from the Help menu in Cakewalk.  So it is fixed.

J