Web Domains and Websites

Vernon Barnes

I am wanting to set up a website but I am not sure where to start. It will be for a music project so having the ability to insert media is require. Ideally it would be a .co.uk domain.

For hosting I am thinking about Wordpress or Go Daddy, just because I have heard of them. I would envisage the site traffic to be low.

Any ideas, advice or warnings? Thanks.

Namecheap is great for registering the domain.  Go Daddy will nickel and dime you to death!  Wordpress is more of a platform, so you'll still need a hosting company.  We've used InMotion and Bluehost lately with success.  You'll want a hosting company that can easily be used with FTP (File Transfer Protocol - an excellent and easy to use FTP client is FileZilla plus it's free!).  With FileZilla, after the initial setup, it's just a matter of connecting then drag and drop just like you would on your desktop.  You should be able to set up a guest FTP account with your hosting company too, so someone else can add media (if desired).

To summarize:

Step 1 - Use Namecheap to find a good domain name (like theglynproject.com)

Step 2 - Find a hosting company that supports Wordpress

Step 3 - Download and install FileZilla

Step 4 - Setup a Wordpress account using your domain and hosting company

Step 5 - Create a basic website using a Wordpress template, find a knowledgeable kid to help, or pay through the nose for a professional site (a "real" business website starts at $5,000 and goes up rapidly from there!).

Step 6 - Use FileZilla to upload and manage your media.

Good luck Glyn!

I use Network Solutions for my domain name. I suspect there might be some deals out there, but I signed with them when they were the only game in town and they've always been reliable. I figure if it isn't broke, why fix it?

I use Hostway for my web host. They are rarely down, and give me good service. The price is a flat rate per year.

I use a separate shopping cart service. If interested PM me because there is a lot to write about. The good thing about a separate shopping cart services is if my web host ever gives me trouble, I can get a new host and won't have to change any shopping cart tags.

I learned to write web pages with a book called HTML in plain English. That was back in the early 1990s when I think it was HTML version 1. I'm sure the book is no longer in print.

I learned the basics of coding, and the basics are still in most websites (tags for paragraphs, headlines, tables, fonts, pictures, links <which are called anchors> etc.)

Years later when I wanted something a bit more user friendly like the javascript menu on my Norton Music site, I just analyzed what someone else was doing and customized it to my own needs.

Now there are probably tutorials all over the web, but back then, the web was slow, dial-up modems were 14k baud, Mosaic was the popular web browser, and the worldwideweb was still new (and had no spaces in the spelling). A book was the only way to go, and I had post-it note bookmarks between a lot of the pages.

I use an old HTML compiler called HomeSite. It's also no longer available. I type the code in myself, but it has key combination shortcuts and clickable buttons for the most common HTML tags, which saves typing time. Then with a click of another button I can see the results in Firefox, Chrome, Edge, or other browsers.

I tried a couple of WYSIWYG programs for making web pages, but after learning to code, I found their code wasteful and sloppy. Repeating the same tags over and over again when they didn't need to was one example. Say for instance you wanted to put a number of paragraphs in a different typeface/font, each  one would start with the tag <font face="Times New Roman" color="#800000"> and ending with the tag </font>. For a dozen or so paragraphs, that's a lot of wasted tags which slow down the browser at the end user's computer. One at the beginning and the other at the end of the dozens of paragraphs would be sufficient.

HTML 5 has a nifty new code for playing music. I plan on converting all my samples (all I need is the time).

My sites are http://www.nortonmusic.com and http://www.s-cats.com feel free to borrow any HTML code.

Insights and incites by Notes