Does This Happen To You?

Johnbee58

I put so much time and effort into a music project between the writing, arranging, recording and finally mixing that by the time I'm done with it I'm completely tired of the new song.  Does this happen to anybody else here and if so, how do you prevent it?

Thanks

😀John B.

4 hours ago, Johnbee58 said:

Does this happen to anybody else here and if so, how do you prevent it?

Not so much nowadays. I developed a penchant for sound design and ambient music and threw off the shackles of worrying about conventional song arrangements. Very niche market, for sure, but I really enjoy the process and the end results.

I am in no way suggesting that anyone else do this... It just works for me.

cheers

andy

• Like 3

It doesn't really happen to me, no. I try not to work on a piece for too long at a stretch, then I enjoy getting back to it the next day.  I particularly love listening to it when the drums are done, which always pulls the whole thing together.

What happens later on is that I'll listen to a piece from a few months ago and have little or no recollection of coming up with the parts, which is slightly worrying! 🤣

• Like 2

I do have a sometimes disturbing ability to listen to the same song over and over, but yeah some do just annoy after a while and I have to move on to something else. Most memorably some years back there was  one that I just couldn't shift out of my head for days afterwards and it irritated me to the point that I hated it. Eventually, I was released from it's hold and I have never listened to it since.

Try setting up on a different song. Once you’re  set up then tackle the real song. 

It helps me to get all the engineers assistant tasks out of the way and leave me to become the recording engineer. I have the arrangement settled before I go into that. 

I have to compartmentalise otherwise I get stuck and obsess over details I’m not really ready to tackle. 

Just time for a quick note. I’m in hospital and they’re coming to take me for an angiogram pre bypass surgery. 

See you all soon. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, MUDGEL said:

Try setting up on a different song. Once you’re  set up then tackle the real song. 

It helps me to get all the engineers assistant tasks out of the way and leave me to become the recording engineer. I have the arrangement settled before I go into that. 

I have to compartmentalise otherwise I get stuck and obsess over details I’m not really ready to tackle. 

Just time for a quick note. I’m in hospital and they’re coming to take me for an angiogram pre bypass surgery. 

See you all soon. 

hope all goes well MUDGEL

• Like 1

All the best, Mudgel! Hope everything goes well.

As for the OP -- happens to me all the time. Two things I have done that help:

1) I work on more than one project at a time, all the time, and I try to mix up the genre/styles as much as  I can, so that when I switch back and forth its refreshing and I don't accidentally copy ideas over from one project to the other. So, I'll have a classic, old school orchestral piece going on, alongside a sketch of Celtic ethereal folkishness, and/or maybe a hybrid, synth heavy trailer type thing.

2) Since Christmas, I have been trying to write and record music fast as I can, at least for the first draft. It gets the initial composition portion out of the way so that I get down to crafting the polished version. It cuts down on the overall time a project takes, and so far hasn't affected how the music turns out - to my great surprise. This is a total change of approach for me, and has been really helpful. I can be very painstaking and deliberate in what I do, and I'm a perfectionist -- and my own worst critic. So, I can get really easily bogged down in a project and grow to hate it in no time flat. I've headed that tendency off at the pass, to a certain degree, by just writing music in a white heat and ignoring mistakes. The first product is usually complete crap. But surprisingly the general shape and vision of what I was trying to create is usually there in some form, along with a few happy accidents and unexpected pleasures. And you can build on that pretty easily, I have found.

All this helps a fair amount. But there are still days I have to close a project up, and go do something else -- like grab a can of cider and go watch The Orville for the rest of the evening, or something.

Rob

I have songs in archives that are 25 years old. I still like to bring them up and find new techniques or replace instrumentation. I'll be danged if I get through 3 passes on it and I have to close it out. They're good songs and hold up over the years - but my brain is just way to saturated on them, even after a year or two hiatus since the last listen. 

7 hours ago, MUDGEL said:

See you all soon. 

Hope everything goes well! 👍

Afterwards we probably need to talk about more appropriate birthday gifts to give yourself! 😉

5 hours ago, craigb said:

Hope everything goes well! 👍

Afterwards we probably need to talk about more appropriate birthday gifts to give yourself! 😉

Well I had the pain in the ass last year but that didn’t work out so well. 

I’ve been so funny the last few days maybe I have a career in comedy ahead of me. Or not. 

Thanks for all the well wishes guys and guyzettes . I will return to taunt you one more time you smelly (insert noun/s of choice here).

Edited by MUDGEL
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 4:47 AM, MUDGEL said:

I will return to taunt you one more time you smelly (insert noun/s of choice here).

We are waiting your return  OLD EXALTED ONE.
With St. Patty's Day coming up we shall all smell like corn beef and cabbage :D

When this happens to me its so frustrating.

What I find even more frustrating, is that even after several years, I can play a intro/verse I've written (which I'm really pleased with), yet STILL get the same block on the chorus!

That's why when I write a new chorus type section, I'll go through the previews of my old projects in the media browser to see if it will fit with them.

On 3/10/2019 at 3:47 AM, InstrEd said:

We are waiting your return  OLD EXALTED ONE.
With St. Patty's Day coming up we shall all smell like corn beef and cabbage :D

I was trying to remember an “In search of the  Holy Grail” reference. The exchange of insults at the tower. “I fart in your general direction “ etc. etc

sorry to hijack the thread with my petty cardiac problems. 

Please continue discussing the inanities of music production. 

Edited by MUDGEL