Cubase Expression Map list for importing into Cakewalk.

Steve Harder

Importing these into Cakewalk, it seems like it transposes all of the Key switches up two octaves, which is unfortunate.  it means the end user is going to have to edit    every articulation map and move every KS note down 2 octaves.

Not sure why it does that.

If this is the only library that is loaded for that project then Cakewalk base octave can be tweaked.  

The issue certainly isn't unique to the libraries you've been working with.  VSL BBO is different than CineSamples is different than EastWest.

A request was made to developers that each artic map could have a base octave assigned so won't need to tweak each entry in map.

Just another wrinkle to get sorted out.

But artic maps have me revisiting a couple of libraries that weren't "nimble" enough for me in the past.  Loving it.

9 hours ago, Maestro said:

Importing these into Cakewalk, it seems like it transposes all of the Key switches up two octaves, which is unfortunate.  it means the end user is going to have to edit    every articulation map and move every KS note down 2 octaves.

Not sure why it does that.

It definitely does not do this.  The MIDI note is a number between 0 and 127. This is translated exactly from the Cubase expression map to the CbB Articulation Map.

The fact that something shows as C2 in Cubase and C0 in Cakewalk means nothing.

This is simply down to how you've set your base octave in preferences:

image.png.6c9a9c08fcc40fc8b9775f5458dbf26d.png

• Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

The MIDI note is a number between 0 and 127.

Midi note number is an objective piece of data that we can hold onto while we work through the process of importing Cubase expression maps or creating our own from scratch.

Each sample library may assign a different midi note number to C0.  So C0 is subjective. 

Being able to determine what midi note number was assigned by that sample library to C0 will give you the objective data you need to understand what is happening in the articulation maps you build or import.

12 hours ago, Steve Harder said:

Midi note number is an objective piece of data that we can hold onto while we work through the process of importing Cubase expression maps or creating our own from scratch.

Each sample library may assign a different midi note number to C0.  So C0 is subjective. 

Being able to determine what midi note number was assigned by that sample library to C0 will give you the objective data you need to understand what is happening in the articulation maps you build or import.

This is exactly why the Articulation Map Editor shows the actual MIDI note number is shown in square brackets after the C0, C#0, D0 etc..

Every piece of software has a different definition as to what C0 actually is.

exchanging user made articulation maps.

I like this idea and Thanks to everyone that linked to sources and created Maps!
Would be nice to also make an AM Request List. is this something a mod would do or can I start it?

1. Artist Series - Tina Guo
  2. Chris Hein  Solo Violin Library
  3. Cinesamples CineOrch
    CineStrings RUNS
    Hollywoodwinds
  4. Kontakt Factory Library - Orchestral

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

This is exactly why the Articulation Map Editor shows the actual MIDI note number is shown in square brackets after the C0, C#0, D0 etc..

Every piece of software has a different definition as to what C0 actually is.

Is it feasible to provide an "adjustment to midi note number" within a individual articulation map, which would apply to all articulations within that map? 

This would aid when importing expression maps.  

The need for this will hopefully diminish after the Cakewalk community gets busy importing, tweaking and sharing.  Luckily there are a finite number of sample libraries to deal with.

Asking for input.

Has anyone created maps for VSL Synchron based libraries?

I'm getting ready to tackle the BBO libraries that I own and am weighing a couple of different structure scenarios.

###

Unrelated, fyi, most Cinesample libraries can be converted from the default velocity control of articulations to keysewitch.  Go to Mapping page where you can tweak trigger velocities and change to keyswitch.

My overall goal is to write articulation maps that use default library setups. But writing maps using velocity is a bit more complicated than keyswitch.

1 hour ago, sadicus said:

For VSL, So far only found :
VSL_Big_Bang_Orchestra_Expressionmap_v.2.0.zip

VSL_Epic_Orchestra_2.0_Expressionmaps_v.1.0.zip

This is a good tutorial. Does Cakewalk AM Editor have the "Chromatic" setting like this video?
Soundiron | Tips & Tricks - Setting Up Expression Maps In Cubase

Cakewalk doesn't have the chromatic setting - but for a case like this, I find it quicker to use the "Add from MIDI" button and just play the keys in:

addArtFromMidi.gif

• Thanks 2
  • Great Idea 1

On 10/30/2020 at 6:43 PM, msmcleod said:

It definitely does not do this.  The MIDI note is a number between 0 and 127. This is translated exactly from the Cubase expression map to the CbB Articulation Map.

The fact that something shows as C2 in Cubase and C0 in Cakewalk means nothing.

This is simply down to how you've set your base octave in preferences:

image.png.6c9a9c08fcc40fc8b9775f5458dbf26d.png

It definitely does.  I just imported them again, and my setting was the same as yours out of the box.  All of the Cubase Expression Maps imported with the Key Switches transposed UP Two    Octaves in Cakewalk by BandLab.

I am not talking about the "Remote Key" in Cubase Pro (whichi Cakewalk does not import, anyways).  I'm talking about the actual note assigned in the Key Switch.   For Violin Tutti it's C0 in Cubase, and when imported into Cakewalk, it's C2.  For Bass Tutti it is C5, and when imported into Cakewalk it's C7.  Repeat this for all Expression Maps imported.  I have 159 Expression Maps on my machine.  ALL of them import this way.

I can create an Expression Map for anything and when imported into Cakewalk, the Key Switches all get transposed up two  octave.

Cubase:

634613892_ViolinMulti.png.4c9f53c5ce327282fc3f6af3c6a40a9d.png

Cakewalk:

703163034_CakewalkViolinMulti.thumb.png.4ab4fa25fb1fe2b0662e3d21849d7b86.png

Edited by Maestro

6 minutes ago, Maestro said:

It definitely does.  I just imported them again, and my setting was the same as yours out of the box.  All of the Cubase Expression Maps imported with the Key Switches transposed UP Two    Octaves in Cakewalk by BandLab.

I am not talking about the "Remote Key" in Cubase Pro (whichi Cakewalk does not import, anyways).  I'm talking about the actual note assigned in the Key Switch.   For Violin Tutti it's C0 in Cubase, and when imported into Cakewalk, it's C2.  For Bass Tutti it is C5, and when imported into Cubase it's C6.  Repeat this for all Expression Maps imported.  I have 159 Expression Maps on my machine.  ALL of them import this way.

I can create an Expression Map for anything and when imported into Cakewalk, the Key Switches all get transposed up two  octave.

Cubase:

(Note Edit in Progress)

Can you attach an example expression map, so I can take a look?

Another good and expanding resource for articulation map usage.

Nico Schuele

Composingtips.com, his new website to complement his Youtube channel.

Nico is uploading a number of the Cubase expression maps that he uses as a professional composer.

Composingtips.com asks that you create an account to download files.

I've tested both the Play ewi files and imported the Cubase expression maps.  All works 100%.  Bingo, you are up and running with a full string ensemble contained in 5 instances of Play.

Edited by Steve Harder
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 10:52 AM, msmcleod said:

The import is definitely not changing the notes, it's the difference in base octave setting that is causing it to display differently, but the note is the same:

noteNumbersArtMapsExpMaps.gif

Makes sense.  I will change the base in Cakewalk to -2 becuase otherwise it is confusing to me, since I have become accustomed to Cubase's base.

Thanks for the response.  I was out a few days, so couldn't respond quicker.

• Like 1