The "K-System"

aleo

2 hours ago, aleo said:

Is anyone familiar with engineer Bob Katz' proposed "K-system" of integrated metering and monitoring?  Has there been any interest in this system among audio engineers who are doing mastering?

I use the K system usually along with several other methods. Probably overkill since the K system  generally works fine. I see the K-system as mainly an overall  monitoring solution to make sure the levels are correct. Since LUFS are probably more common with online streaming online I also use that system.

The main difference using the K systems is you'll need to generate pink noise to get the level set right. Pink noise generators are free. I think Studio One has one already included.

It's been awhile now, but I interviewed Bob Katz about his K system. He developed it back before LUFS was a thing. THat doesn't mean it's any more pr less relevant, just another way to monitor a mix. 

You probably want accurate additional monitor correction as well if your space isn't treated, and maybe even if it is.

Edited by Starise
  • Thanks 1

A reasonable presumption, I agree. However, I assume the OP wants to know if the K-system is worth learning about. Hopefully, my terse affirmative didn't come off sounding condescending, and instead conveyed that yes, it's worth investigating. And now thanks to your thoughtful addendum, he knows that it is neither coffee- nor coffee-house related.

So aleo, if there's anything you want to know about K-metering and speaker calibration, just let us know. Even InstrEd knows a lot about it. I, on the other hand, know nothing about k-cups other than to assume they are bigger than d-cups.

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone.  I appreciate all the responses and info.  I am a complete amateur/noob at mastering.  Katz' method or system seemed to have a lot of merit and I knew it had been used with success in the film industry.   I'm currently mixing down my tracks for an album, CD and other venues, but plan to have a professional studio do the mastering.  I also want to look into LUFS.

14 hours ago, aleo said:

Thanks everyone.  I appreciate all the responses and info.  I am a complete amateur/noob at mastering.  Katz' method or system seemed to have a lot of merit and I knew it had been used with success in the film industry.   I'm currently mixing down my tracks for an album, CD and other venues, but plan to have a professional studio do the mastering.  I also want to look into LUFS.

LUFS is a whole can of worms. Comes down to overall dynamic  program volume over time of performance. That’s the short story. 

Edited by Doc H