[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2020.10 Early Access

Morten Saether

51 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

The crash seems to be in the ImpactLX-25 control surface DLL, although I suspect your issue might be related to running the EA release using non-english language (the resource DLL's for other languages haven't been done yet).

Oh, ok. I've been having issues with the Arranger displaying weird characters, which seems to be language related. I was told through email that those would likely be solved in the new update. Is that the case? Thanks.

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

Have you an example project that can repro this?  A lot of effort was made to ensure articulations are always sent out before any other MIDI event. If this isn't happening, then we need to know about it.  The only scenario I can think of that this might happen, is if you've spread your articulations/MIDI events over several tracks (e.g. MIDI events on track 1, articulations on track 2)... but for any given track, the articulations are always handled first.

This is happening on a new single MIDI track project. 

For example, if I have four Articulation maps in a row, and I start playback from before the beginning of the first one, the MIDI events get sent correctly all the way through past the forth Articulation map.  If I start playback in the middle of the 2nd, 3rd, or forth Articulation map, MIDI data from the first Articulation map gets sent.  I would have thought it would only chase back to the Articulation map that the now pointer starts playback on.

I am getting the feeling a screen video might show what I mean. I have a plug in that shows the exact MIDI events being sent.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Sascha Denda said:

Everytime when i change Tracks, change fader from mixer or effects or when i play my track, choose instrument, etc. I get audio drop out and i have no sound after update. I must change audio driver to fix it.

It is with asio 

There are no changes in this update that would affect this. Please troubleshoot your latency settings.
Also list the dropout code that is displayed when it drops out.

10 minutes ago, Promidi said:

This is happening on a new single MIDI track project. 

For example, if I have four Articulation maps in a row, and I start playback from before the beginning of the first one, the MIDI events get sent correctly all the way through past the forth Articulation map.  If I start playback in the middle of the 2nd, 3rd, or forth Articulation map, MIDI data from the first Articulation map gets sent.  I would have thought it would only chase back to the Articulation map that the now pointer starts playback on.

I am getting the feeling a screen video might show what I mean. I have a plug in that shows the exact MIDI events being sent.

This all depends on how you've set up the events in your Articulations.

If the "Transpose" button is checked,  and it's set to "Drawn" then only the most recent articulation event is sent, otherwise it's treated as a controller and all articulation events up to the now time will be sent in order.

We may offer more granular control over chase behaviour in a later release, but for this release we wanted to keep it simple - in other words Drawn Transposable events are meant to be musical (e.g. chord triads), so they're treated like notes. Anything else is assumed to be a key switch.

• Thanks 1

No folder nesting, yet?

Needed to organize large orchestral templates.

Being able to ditch BandLab Assistant...  Great choice.

How does EA work.  When it goes gold, can we just update from the  EA to the final release, or does this require a re-install?

Edited by Maestro

10 minutes ago, Nigel Mackay said:

With the Spitfire BBC Orchestra I extracted the sub-folders and called them Spitfire BBC Orchestra Brass, Spitfire BBC Orchestra Strings, etc.

A bit of work if nested more than one layer. 😟

I'm talking more like

String

- Sections

- - Violins I

- - Violins II

- - etc.

- Solo

- - Violin

- - Viola

- - etc.

[ Repeat for different sections ]

My Orchestral template is over 250 tracks, with Multis, Solo Instruments, and some that I need different articulations on different tracks (i.e. for polyphonically playing a trill and a sustain at the same time on a Solo Violin).  I need nesting, Otherwise it is a scrolling haven, and kind of don't want to work like that.

I have every instrument in my template, and I just disable the Tracks that I don't need for a specific project.

(Track Templates aren't a work around).

Why is folder nesting taking so long?  It's a relatively simple feature that has huge benefits to usability and workflow.

Edited by Maestro
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Articulation events are always handled before any other MIDI events, so it shouldn't matter if they're at the same time as the note.

That's great!

In saying that, there may be some VSTi's that require a delay before they'll respond to the changes, so in this scenario you may have to place them slightly in front of the note.

If there is a list of VSTi's that require a delay before they'll respond to the changes, it's probably nice.

This all depends on how you've set up the events in your Articulations.

If the "Transpose" button is checked,  and it's set to "Drawn" then only the most recent articulation event is sent, otherwise it's treated as a controller and all articulation events up to the now time will be sent in order.

In all my keyswitch articulation maps, I have checked "Transpose",  and it is set to "Drawn. I also make sure the articulation map duration covers all of the notes I wish that keyswitch to play. Of course, I am using note events for the keyswitches.

When I start playback in the middle of an articulation map, that is the behaviour I am seeing.  i.e. Only the most recent articulation event is sent.

I think I am closer to understanding what is going on here.  I think the MIDI Chase function may not be handling the MIDI Channel of the events properly when they come from articulation map.

According to MIDImonitor, the MIDI channel the articulation map (as configured above) is sending reverts to channel 1 (which is neither that of the MIDI track, or as programmed in the articulation map) .

It's almost there.  However, until this is sorted, I will have to continue to use Drum maps for keyswitching on a separate MIDI track.

Let me know if you would still like a video, I am happy to do one and PM it to you.

• Thanks 1

Articulation Maps is a great addition. But when starting to create articulation maps of my own, I notice that the space required to uniquely identify a map through its name is a bit scarce. Of course, I would have preferred that articulation maps could have been put in sub-folders under the default Articulation Maps folder. That would have made it possible to make the unique part of the name shorter, i.e. by having the sub folders sorted by Manufacturer and then Library. But as that unfortunately doesn’t seem to be an option at least in this initial implementation, very long names are sometimes necessary. So what happens when you need to call a map something like “NI Symphony Series Brass Ensemble Trumpets”? Well, as can be seen in the picture below, the name of the articulation map will be truncated in the list box. And I can foresee much longer names being necessary in the future…

67K9wyN.png

So, if possible, allow for nested folder structures. And if that’s not possible, please make the full name somehow (at least more) accessible. Perhaps the icon can be removed and the articulation map name be left-aligned in the Articulation Map listbox?

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1