[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2020.10 Early Access

Morten Saether

44 minutes ago, Promidi said:

In all my keyswitch articulation maps, I have checked "Transpose",  and it is set to "Drawn. I also make sure the articulation map duration covers all of the notes I wish that keyswitch to play. Of course, I am using note events for the keyswitches.

When I start playback in the middle of an articulation map, that is the behaviour I am seeing.  i.e. Only the most recent articulation event is sent.

I think I am closer to understanding what is going on here.  I think the MIDI Chase function may not be handling the MIDI Channel of the events properly when they come from articulation map.

According to MIDImonitor, the MIDI channel the articulation map (as configured above) is sending reverts to channel 1 (which is neither that of the MIDI track, or as programmed in the articulation map) .

It's almost there.  However, until this is sorted, I will have to continue to use Drum maps for keyswitching on a separate MIDI track.

Let me know if you would still like a video, I am happy to do one and PM it to you.

A small project would be more helpful, as I can more easily get to the root of the issue using both your articulation map and your track data.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Canopus said:

Articulation Maps is a great addition. But when starting to create articulation maps of my own, I notice that the space required to uniquely identify a map through its name is a bit scarce. Of course, I would have preferred that articulation maps could have been put in sub-folders under the default Articulation Maps folder. That would have made it possible to make the unique part of the name shorter, i.e. by having the sub folders sorted by Manufacturer and then Library. But as that unfortunately doesn’t seem to be an option at least in this initial implementation, very long names are sometimes necessary. So what happens when you need to call a map something like “NI Symphony Series Brass Ensemble Trumpets”? Well, as can be seen in the picture below, the name of the articulation map will be truncated in the list box. And I can foresee much longer names being necessary in the future…

67K9wyN.png

So, if possible, allow for nested folder structures. And if that’s not possible, please make the full name somehow (at least more) accessible. Perhaps the icon can be removed and the articulation map name be left-aligned in the Articulation Map listbox?

Maybe don't write out the entire name of the product (for now)? Instead of "NI Symphony Series Brass Ensemble Trumpets", why not "NISS Trumpets" (since trumpets are obviously part of a brass ensemble)?

2 minutes ago, Canopus said:

Articulation Maps is a great addition. But when starting to create articulation maps of my own, I notice that the space required to uniquely identify a map through its name is a bit scarce. Of course, I would have preferred that articulation maps could have been put in sub-folders under the default Articulation Maps folder. That would have made it possible to make the unique part of the name shorter, i.e. by having the sub folders sorted by Manufacturer and then Library. But as that unfortunately doesn’t seem to be an option at least in this initial implementation, very long names are sometimes necessary. So what happens when you need to call a map something like “NI Symphony Series Brass Ensemble Trumpets”? Well, as can be seen in the picture below, the name of the articulation map will be truncated in the list box. And I can foresee much longer names being necessary in the future…

67K9wyN.png

So, if possible, allow for nested folder structures. And if that’s not possible, please make the full name somehow (at least more) accessible. Perhaps the icon can be removed and the articulation map name be left-aligned in the Articulation Map listbox?

Previously after importing, you had to use the export button  to "save" your articulation maps for use in other projects. This fired up a standard Save dialog, allowing you to create directories etc, to find a suitable location for them.  But a decision was made at to automatically save imported articulation maps to the articulation directory.

What you can do is organise the folders yourself in Windows Explorer.

The location of the articulation maps is specified in Preferences:

image.png.80d99539976c1030de097e6c3ebb01f7.png

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

What you can do is organise the folders yourself in Windows Explorer.

To create a sub-folder of my own was actually the first thing I tried, but the folder failed to show up in the Articulation Map Editor. But now that you mentioned it, I did put an articulation map in that sub-folder and the folder showed up in the editor. I probably didn't have a valid CbB articulation map stored within the sub-folder at first and that also blocked the display of the folder. Thanks! Problem solved!

Edited by Canopus
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Canopus said:

To create a sub-folder of my own was actually the first thing I tried, but the folder failed to show up in the Articulation Map Editor. But now that you mentioned it, I did put an articulation map in that sub-folder and the folder showed up in the editor. I probably didn't have a valid CbB articulation map stored within the sub-folder at first. Thanks! Problem solved!

Ah yes, this is part of the filtering. It'll only show folders with articulation maps in them.

Also, if you use the search filter, it'll hide any folders / subfolders that don't have articulation maps that match the string.

• Thanks 1

Hm, I was a bit quick in my reply there. I see now the Articulation Map Editor only allows for one folder level. The recursive search stops as soon as it finds a folder without at least one valid artmap file. Additional sub-folders are unfortunately ignored unless you fool it by having at least one valid artmap file on each level . Too bad. Is that something that could be taken into consideration?

15 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Ah yes, this is part of the filtering. It'll only show folders with articulation maps in them.

Also, if you use the search filter, it'll hide any folders / subfolders that don't have articulation maps that match the string.

The whole problem is with converting expression maps to articulation maps and with restarting and renaming and restarting. It seems you need to convert everything, then arrange folders, then start Cakewalk. Not complaining, just saying. I can now do Spitfire BBC Orchestra in a top-level folder with sub-folders Brass, Strings, etc. Nut had to work towards that.

11 hours ago, Maestro said:

No folder nesting, yet?

Needed to organize large orchestral templates.

Being able to ditch BandLab Assistant...  Great choice.

How does EA work.  When it goes gold, can we just update from the  EA to the final release, or does this require a re-install?

It will update in place to the final build.

>>Why is folder nesting taking so long?  It's a relatively simple feature that has huge benefits to usability and workflow.
Folder nesting will have to wait until we do further work on the user interface.  Its not as simple as you might think

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nigel Mackay said:

The whole problem is with converting expression maps to articulation maps and with restarting and renaming and restarting. It seems you need to convert everything, then arrange folders, then start Cakewalk. Not complaining, just saying. I can now do Spitfire BBC Orchestra in a top-level folder with sub-folders Brass, Strings, etc. Nut had to work towards that.

You can't do:
     Articulation Maps -> A -> B -> xx.artmap
     Articulation Maps -> A -> C -> yy.artmap
     Articulation Maps -> A -> D -> zz.artmap

There MUST be an Articulation Maps -> A -> ???.artmap, otherwise B, C and D are ignored. Sub-folders need a dummy.artmap to survive.

But we are getting there.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nigel Mackay said:

You can't do:
     Articulation Maps -> A -> B -> xx.artmap
     Articulation Maps -> A -> C -> yy.artmap
     Articulation Maps -> A -> D -> zz.artmap

There MUST be an Articulation Maps -> A -> ???.artmap, otherwise B, C and D are ignored. Sub-folders need a dummy.artmap to survive.

Yes, I think that's exactly what I said.

• Like 1

I just started install and selected Advanced so that I could pick VST and content paths to match my file location preferences. However, I was unable to select the VST path and stopped there.

The path shown seemed odd to me as well. I have three Cakewalk VST folders: G:\Cakewalk\vstplugins_32-bit, G:\Cakewalk\vstplugins_64-bit and G:\Cakewalk\X2\vstplugins. The path the installer was going to use was: G:\Cakewalk Content\X2\vstplugins. I don't have any plugins in the Cakewalk Content folder.

57 minutes ago, Bill Phillips said:

I just started install and selected Advanced so that I could pick VST and content paths to match my file location preferences. However, I was unable to select the VST path and stopped there.

The path shown seemed odd to me as well. I have three Cakewalk VST folders: G:\Cakewalk\vstplugins_32-bit, G:\Cakewalk\vstplugins_64-bit and G:\Cakewalk\X2\vstplugins. The path the installer was going to use was: G:\Cakewalk Content\X2\vstplugins. I don't have any plugins in the Cakewalk Content folder.

It looks like it's picked up your paths from a previous SONAR X2 install.

Just go into Preferences->File->VST Settings and set your new paths.

You'll probably also want to check the paths in Folder Locations and Audio Data are correct (they're also under Preferences->File ).

• Great Idea 1

3 hours ago, msmcleod said:

A small project would be more helpful, as I can more easily get to the root of the issue using both your articulation map and your track data.

Here you go.  This file contains a small CWP file, the MIDImonitor DLL (This is a 64 bit vsti), the articulation map, for just in case, my Cakewalk.ini file.

I have also added some screenshots hopefully showing the issue is more detail.

http://users.on.net/akm/Promidi_Articulation_Maps.zipx

Just in case my Cakewalk.ini and TTQSEQ.ini file were having an effect, I temporarily renamed than to *.bak, but it did not make a difference. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Skyline_UK said:

Still not sure I understand articulation maps.  Will it help me, for example, when using RealGuitar, where  presently I put music notes in one section of the PRV and articulation notes lower down for upstrum, downstrum, muted strings, etc? 

Yep, that's exactly what its for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Canopus said:

67K9wyN.png

Honestly, that name is too long.  You can easily abbreviate that to "NI SS Brass Ens Trumpets."

I think there is enough space, just try to be less verbose with the naming.  These super descriptive names aren't really necessary.

13 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

There are no changes in this update that would affect this. Please troubleshoot your latency settings.
Also list the dropout code that is displayed when it drops out.

The dropped out code is 0 or 16. I send picture when i wake up and drink my first cup of Coffee. 

The UI Performance is much much better than before. On a Template with 149 Tracks and 36 Busses it is really smooth . 

Is it normal when i make steprecording, i get crackle click and pop when i play. After recording it works.  it is an issue that is very long time in this daw (in sonar days). Hasnt no other this issue?

Greetings from Germany and thx for cakewalk.

• Thanks 1