Komplete Kontact and MIDI in Cakewalk

Brian Johnston

I have a plug-in/midi question.  I can run Komplete Kontrol (Native Instruments) as a stand-alone... I use my Casio keyboard as a controller and I can hear all the different sounds, etc.

Now, when in Cakewalk, I have Komplete Kontrol (and Kontact... another program) come up as a plug-in... and I can assign those plug-ins to a Track. My issue is this:

I can't seem to get Cakewalk to recognize my piano as a midi controller, viz., I cannot hear the Komplete Kontrol patches, nor record anything. It's likely something simple, but in Cakewalk's preferences I chose the piano as midi in, also mini out, and other combinations, but nothing.  Typically I record and can hear via my interface when playing electric guitar, whereas the piano has to go via USB. Again, via USB and I can hear the program as a standalone (outside Cakewalk), and so, what am I missing?

I can't even hear it, let alone record it. To my knowledge, no recording.  Keep in mind, I'm trying to record an AUDIO track... maybe this is where I'm messing up... that track with the plug-in needs to be a midi track rather than an audio track?  Also, when I open the preferences, what should my audio indicate and what should my midi indicate?  I tried different combinations, but I'll give anything a shot.

1 minute ago, Anders Madsen said:

If recording audio, you should connect your Casio into your soundcard, and not use the USB.
If recording MIDI (connected to USB), the keyboard would appear here: (where you must tick the radiobox.)

So far this makes sense.  I want only the controller as I don't was the sound of piano (or anything) alter the sounds being utilized in the Komplete Kontrol program. As for Cakewalk, my only two options for the MIDI devices is both the Casio piano and my interface (using a Line 6 Tone Port UX8). The Komplete Kontrol A DAW does not appear as an option.  Is that something I add somehow, or is that necessary? Thanks!!!

First: You don't need the "Control-a-daw" This is only if you have the Komplete kontrol keyboard. (I have the Komplete kontrol A61, listed there) In your dialogue, the Casio should appear, when connected to USB.
If you don't want the sound of the Casio piano, you should not record as Audio.
This will be using the sound of a soft synth installed as a midi instrument plugin. (In that case, you must connect via USB, and choose the keyboard in the dialogue box in picture.)
Using the control/transport keys is another question. I will not try to answer that, as I don't know Casio products.

3 minutes ago, Anders Madsen said:

First: You don't need the "Control-a-daw" This is only if you have the Komplete kontrol keyboard. (I have the Komplete kontrol A61, listed there) In your dialogue, the Casio should appear, when connected to USB.
This will be using the sound of a soft synth installed as a midi instrument plugin. (In that case, you must connect via USB, and choose the keyboard in the dialogue box in picture.)
Using the control/transport keys is another question. I will not try to answer that, as I don't know Casio products.

Thanks again.  I'll try some recording tomorrow, with everyone's input!

On 10/22/2020 at 3:11 PM, Anders Madsen said:

Not sure what I'm doing wrong... still no sound or ability to record.

CakewalkMidi1.jpg

Edited by Brian Johnston

On 10/22/2020 at 2:55 PM, Brian Johnston said:

Keep in mind, I'm trying to record an AUDIO track . . . 

On 10/22/2020 at 3:03 PM, Brian Johnston said:

I want only the controller as I don't was the sound of piano (or anything) alter the sounds being utilized in the Komplete Kontrol program. 

10 minutes ago, Brian Johnston said:

OK... finally got it.  Not sure how.  

Glad you got it, but I am curious to know about the above.  To me, if you only want to record the controller (not specific sounds) you do not want to record audio. 

27 minutes ago, Brian Johnston said:

OK... finally got it.  Not sure how.  But I had to start from scratch (open new file rather than adding a midi track, etc.). Then I used the instructions on the Cakewalk help online. 

Just to make sure: It is not enough to add a midi track. You must add a soft synth to that track.
I never add a midi track, going straight for the synth/piano/drums or whatever midi instrument I want, which will be added as a midi track.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anders Madsen said:

Just to make sure: It is not enough to add a midi track. You must add a soft synth to that track.
I never add a midi track, going straight for the synth/piano/drums or whatever midi instrument I want, which will be added as a midi track.

Confirmed.  If you hear static while playing (and the static also records), is the sampling rate or something off?

1 minute ago, Brian Johnston said:

I inserted a soft synth and it worked fine (not routed to audio or anything). I'm likely causing confusion since I'm new to this.  Up to now, I've been doing everything through real instruments and recording on audio tracks.

Thanks for the clarification.  The seemingly contradictory comments make sense now!  Real instruments on recorded on audio tracks [external audio sources] v. audio from soft synths recorded either on (1) hybrid instrument tracks [midi + audio combined] or (2) audio tracks with a midi track pointing to an audio track [split instrument track].