a new audio issue

greg54

I was playing a song back, and 1 monitor just cut out....then the other one cut out.   After a couple of seconds, they both came back on and seem fine.  Nothing wrong in the connections that I noticed.  I've never had that happen before.    Any suggestions as to what may have caused it  (so it doesn't happen again)?

Thanks!

Greg

Kurre:   That computer is not connected to the internet at the moment, so it wasn't an update.   I've had the computer for about 3 years, and it's never done that before.

Cactus Music:  Monitors are KRK 5's.   I don't think it was a power surge because 1 went out first for about 2 seconds, then the other went out.   A few seconds later they were back on.   If it had been a power surge, i would think they both would have gone out at the same time.   But I could be wrong about that.

It hasn't done it since, but it could do it again.   I'll keep looking for something.

Thanks!

Greg

Well it looks like I spoke too soon.   I just went in and turned on my system and began listening.   After a few minutes, the monitors cut out again.  I have them going through  a Coleman Audio LS3 line selector because I use a mono monitor sometimes to check the mix.   

When the KRK's cut out, I switched to the mono one, and it was working fine.  I would switch back and forth, and the mono was working, while the KRK's were not.    I tried to see if the LS3 was defective, but it seems to be fine.

I have an old pair of M-Audio BX5's, so I switched.  These seem to be working fine for now  (but they don't sound near as good as the KRK's).   If the BX5's don't cut out, then I'll know there is something wrong with the KRK's.  It's just odd that both KRK's go out pretty much at the same time - and start working again at the same time.

Edited by greg54

odd, my Rokits have a cut out that shuts them down after 30 minutes if there is no noise going into the speaker, then if I play something through them, you can hear them cut in, first one, then the other, doesn't really bother me. I have heard that if the sound is turned down enough, they may cut out. This has never happened to me though, perhaps there is something wrong with the automatic cut out of your rokits however it is difficult to believe both of them would develop the same fault at the same time.

Maybe you are one of those people where you have your sound low and they cut out. Or maybe it's the line selector you are using interfering with the automatic cut out. The BX5's don't have a cut out so they should be fine.

Edited by Tezza

Tezza, I believe you're right.   After I thought about it last night, I realized that my room currently has no acoustic treatment, and the volume is deceiving.  Because of the excess reverb in the room, it sounds louder than it actually is.   So I realized that I keep the volume pretty low.   And yes, one speaker always comes on a second or 2 before the other, just like one cuts out a second or two before the other.  And this is what's happening.

I'll try it a little later today, but I'm pretty sure that's the issue.

Thanks!

Greg