Saddest song you have ever heard?

garybrun

The kid next door learning to play clarinet, then two weeks later the oboe, then two weeks after that the alto sax, then two week after that the trumpet. The kid finally stuck with that and can actually play fairly well now. But man it was painful for a few months. Gotta give that kid some credit for sticking with it. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Doc H said:

The kid next door learning to play clarinet, then two weeks later the oboe, then two weeks after that the alto sax, then two week after that the trumpet. The kid finally stuck with that and can actually play fairly well now. But man it was painful for a few months. Gotta give that kid some credit for sticking with it. 

As a young boy, I often had to endure a relative "learning to play" the violin. I still find it hard to listen to those things. *shudders*

On 10/25/2020 at 5:14 AM, Doc H said:

I probably tortured my neighbors and parents. I could practice hours on end learning how to 'master' songs like "On Top Of Old Smoky", "Merrily We Roll Along" and other beginning band classics. ;)

I grew up in Florida and our next door neighbors lived in Canada in the summer. Mom used to make me go next door and play in their empty carport because I was driving her crazy in the house.

Sad songs. An strange concept for me. The lyrics are the last thing I ever listen to in a song. At first they are just articulation in the lead line which I am listening to in relationship to the rhythm section and other comp parts. After my mind understands and even semi-memorizes (to the point of being able to 'sing along' to the parts in my head) the meanings of the lyrics slowly register in my brain. I've heard some sad lyrics, but I can't say the song is sad.

I guess that's why I suck at songwriting. But I'm a decent arranger and can write some pretty good Band-in-a-Box styles.

Josef Suk wrote his Asrael Symphony after his teacher/mentor/father-in-law composer Antonín Dvořák and his wife Otilie Suková (Antonín Dvořák's daughter) died. It must have been sad to write, but to me it's beautiful.

BTW, Leilani and I are in the audience in Prague on opening day of the Czech Philharmonic's 2014 season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFoFxa7Hc04

So for me there might be sad lyrics, but no sad songs.

Notes

• Like 2