I thought it was about time too...

Rain

7 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

Nice to see you back Rain !

I certainly Love Telecasters .  Yours , Steve's and Bapu 's are very nice ....

I hope you don't mind if I  drop a clip in your thread . I just did this one tonight using  one of my Tele's .....

Kenny

That was a lot of fun Ken!  But, I'm confused...  How can you have the Blues in the happy key of C??! 🤔😆

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

Nice to see you back Rain !

I certainly Love Telecasters .  Yours , Steve's and Bapu 's are very nice ....

I hope you don't mind if I  drop a clip in your thread . I just did this one tonight using  one of my Tele's .....

Kenny

Hey, Kenny - good hearing from you, man! And always a joy to hear you play too!

• Thanks 1

On 10/23/2020 at 5:37 AM, DeeringAmps said:

the only possible improvement to a Tele is the “B” bender, simply amazing in the hands of a real Tele man...

I remember I heard a guy playing a Telecaster with a B Bender in a bar - I was only dropping by but I ended up staying until the end of the set just to have a chat with him and to ask him how he did that stuff. Took me forever to learn to love Telecasters, but I was hooked to the B Bender on the spot. 

Maybe on the next Tele.

• Great Idea 1

On 10/24/2020 at 3:53 PM, Rain said:

Hey, Kenny - good hearing from you, man! And always a joy to hear you play too!

Hey Rain ! thanks for the kind word ☺️

Since we are talking about the Telecaster,

One of the things that amaze's    me about the Telecaster is the guitar itself is the embodiment of a perfect Idea made manifest in a physical form .

Leo Fender used the most direct guitar design possible with the goal of mass producing this guitar to be user friendly and cost effective from day one .

History has show  The Telecaster design has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to have withstood the test of time .

60 + years ago Leo kept it simple ...you wore out your neck , frets or fingerboard , no problem just bolt on a new neck ...

The Telecaster was conceived as and to be a  Mass Produced guitar  for everyone .

Now 60 + years later ...you don't like the sound of your Tele pick ups ...no problem ..you can get Tele pick ups from hundreds of pick up manufacturers  ...

IMHO , The Telecaster  and The Stratocaster  are two of the most perfect guitars to Hot Rod . 

Currently I have 5 Tele's (  now it's 6 Teles since I bought a Red one  a week ago )  and I can honestly say "anyone that can do a basic guitar set up " such as action , intonation , truss rod adjustments  , bridge adjustments , and pick up height adjustments  can get pretty far and deep into dialing in a Tele to their personal taste .

When you add  in some light electronic abilities  such as being able to  handle  a soldering iron   then it can become a pretty unlimited horizon for customization for the average guitar player that doesn't own a wood shop or a variety of super expensive tools .

After being on a number of Telecaster Forums as a member and a Lurker for a few decades . I am convinced that some of the members on these Telecaster Forums that are doctors , dentists and other assorted professionals  in their day gigs  would gladly walk away from all that financial security  just to be able to work  in a guitar factory building and customizing Telecasters   🤣

How do I know this ? I have seen a few of those guys on my usual Tele forums  posting pictures of the  Tele's they own and play ..

Man!  some of these guys have over 30  + Tele's and no 2 are alike ....

nice talking with you ,

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 1:28 AM, Rain said:

In all honesty, I used to feel exactly the same. The headstock in particular seemed an assault on good taste. It also didn't help that they became very popular with hipsters for a while.

But the design eventually grew on me. 

I can’t get past the headstock. What was Leo thinking? I was looking for one with a CBS Strat headstock and have come to the conclusion that I may have to build one....

I’ve been pretty much a Les Paul or Jackson player. Until three years ago when I broke down and got me a Strat. Now I’ve got three of the things. Even my wife has been questioning my Metalness. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Doc H said:

I can’t get past the headstock. What was Leo thinking? I was looking for one with a CBS Strat headstock and have come to the conclusion that I may have to build one....

I’ve been pretty much a Les Paul or Jackson player. Until three years ago when I broke down and got me a Strat. Now I’ve got three of the things. Even my wife has been questioning my Metalness. 

I've always had extraordinarily conventional, boring tastes and guitars are no exception. The first quality guitar I've ever played belonged to the father of a friend of mine, and it was a '57 black Fender Stratocaster. I was 12. That became the holy grail to me - even in an era (mid 80's) that was all about flashy superstrats and pointy guitars, that guitar held its own - respected guitarists like Dave Murray, Matthias Jabs  and Glenn Tipton played (modded) black Strats.

Not like my cheap, sunburst Les Paul copy. That thing was about as metal as a cowboy hat or a bolo tie. Les Paul's really didn't get much love for a while...

When I saw David Gilmour in Live at Pompeii, it only reinforced my determination to someday own a black Strat - albeit not necessarily a 57, but if possible, with a similar headstock and neck color. Eventually, I go a cheap Strat copy from Sears, then a Fender Squier black Strat and, ultimately, in 96, the real black Strat I'd always lusted after, and it's been with me ever since. I've sold, traded or given away most of the gear I owned through the years but not that one.

92587785_10157416730302582_852789748308115456_o.thumb.jpg.2a228df55273757bb80e495c13f4291f.jpg

That being said, I picked up electric guitar because of Randy Rhoads, and last year I figured it would makes sense to at least test his design - so I bought a super cheap one, just to get a feel. I must say I love the ergonomics. Having studied classical, I feel right at home with the playing position. I may grab a better quality one in the future.

But ultimately, my main line up is remarkably traditional - and finally feels complete with the new Tele. 

Beauty_o4af_Fotor.thumb.jpg.413dd8af3391c3bcf8546c296391ff38.jpg

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...