cakewalk and UAD (2408 buffer not available)

jono grant

I have a friend with an Apollo firewire unit.

If he sets the Apollo to 2408 buffer size, everything okay but the second he opens Cakewalk, blue screen of death!

I had a similar problem with having a motherboard soundcard online, when I disabled it, the problem went away.

We've eliminated the possibility of any other sound device by completely disabling them, so only UAD.

What could still be causing Cakewalk to bug out Windows enough for a BSOD when UAD set to 2408 buffer? (PS, this could be 48 kHz or 96kHz, doesn't make a difference.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks very much!

At that (high) buffer size, I wonder if it's a case where CbB needs more memory allocated - there's an aud.ini setting that changes this for plug-ins, but I forget the details (ExtraPluginBufs - default 0, I believe).  Might be worth digging into that?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kevin Perry said:

At that (high) buffer size, I wonder if it's a case where CbB needs more memory allocated - there's an aud.ini setting that changes this for plug-ins, but I forget the details (ExtraPluginBufs - default 0, I believe).  Might be worth digging into that?

I think this is all related to a recent Windows build that has a compatibility issue. Unfortunately it's been too long to roll back, those windows files were deleted after ten days. Interesting what you mention about the aud.ini though. Not sure it will help but I saw a few people saying it made some larger files have less issue with the plugins. Thanks!

Jono

• Like 1

@Noel Borthwick my colleague is blue screening when opening Cakewalk on Windows build 2004  using UAD Apollo firewire and when set to higher buffers like 2048 and sometimes 1024

Wondering if you've heard anything about conflicts with this Windows build? I have been staying on an older build because I also had conflicts. He is unable to roll back to the older one now.

Thanks

Jono 

On 10/23/2020 at 7:33 PM, jono grant said:

@Noel Borthwick my colleague is blue screening when opening Cakewalk on Windows build 2004  using UAD Apollo firewire and when set to higher buffers like 2048 and sometimes 1024

Wondering if you've heard anything about conflicts with this Windows build? I have been staying on an older build because I also had conflicts. He is unable to roll back to the older one now.

Thanks

Jono 

Perhaps something else causing blue screen when opening Cakewalk with UAD. @Noel Borthwick - could you let me know if you saw this? Thanks

Jono

On 10/26/2020 at 10:20 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

Its not Cakewalk crashing  its the UAD driver crashing. Bluescreens can never be caused by user mode programs, only kernel mode drivers can bluescreen.
This is not a question we can answer, only UA can debug and solve this issue so I suggest contacting their technical support with the recipe.

Thanks Noel... just looking at possibilities 

Cheers

I use Apollo Firewire. I can't understand a scenario to use that high of a buffer.  Maybe I can't fathom that high of a track count or Plug load that would require it. I typically run UAD at 64 buffers with a decent plug load and maybe 25 tracks - I've needed to bump it to 128 - and up to 256 for processing heavy projects. I run it at 32 - or 64  when monitoring real time guitar tracks. This is a pretty slow computer with Win 7 too. I've run it once or twice 1024 for dense mix only scenarios - but usually lower when editing. If you're experiencing drop outs at 512 or 1024 -there is likely some other system issue that is affecting latency -  or you're running an extreme VSTi  heavy load.

Edited by RBH