Life is a Lady/Holiday - Santana - My studio session

PJH

This Santana song is not one of his more popular instrumentals but has been one of my favourite songs for a really long time. I’ve always wanted to do a version of this and thanks to my two very good friends, Dave Sharp and Larry Rose I’ve been able to do just that.

My first thought was to do a completely different take on the song but after listening to the original I realised that the playing, feel etc was perfect.

This is therefore my tribute to a guitar player who had a great influence on me when I was younger and probably still does.

The only change that we made was to lengthen the song. I felt that the original version is just too short.

I hope that you’ll enjoy this version of a beautiful song.

• Like 5

On 10/22/2020 at 1:50 PM, Wookiee said:

Nice.

23 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

Nice tribute.  I appreciate the video editing as well as the playing.  Classy all the way around.

Thanks for the comments.

Much appreciated!

Fantastic presentation! The video watching everyone's tasteful contributions, just so classy to watch your production and how you went about it.

You guys all overflow with chops. Keep doing these! And the multicamera treatment was really a treat.

All the more so, because I'll confess that I've never been a huge fan of the compositional stylings of Santana. So holding my interest was not about the song at all, for me - it was about the way you talented guys presented the song.

Very well done!

Cheers,

-Tom

On 10/23/2020 at 10:07 PM, Hidden Symmetry said:

Very tasty, enjoyed it.

On 10/23/2020 at 10:56 PM, Fred's Gratis Scores said:

Sounds great. Very nice listen on a winding-down Friday afternoon. I like your studio videos and how the  how you switched up the guitars in the middle.

On 10/24/2020 at 4:08 PM, mark skinner said:

The amount of seasoned talent in that room left me speechless ...   so that's all I'm saying.  mark

On 10/24/2020 at 5:01 PM, emeraldsoul said:

Fantastic presentation! The video watching everyone's tasteful contributions, just so classy to watch your production and how you went about it.

You guys all overflow with chops. Keep doing these! And the multicamera treatment was really a treat.

All the more so, because I'll confess that I've never been a huge fan of the compositional stylings of Santana. So holding my interest was not about the song at all, for me - it was about the way you talented guys presented the song.

Very well done!

Cheers,

-Tom

16 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

Wow, fantastic chops all round - bravo! Andy

Thanks you for your comments everyone! I'm glad you all enjoyed it. We had a great time recording and filming the whole session.

Much appreciated!

Cheers

Peter.

On 10/26/2020 at 8:29 PM, Kevin Walsh said:

I listened to this early this morning while I made my coffee. In a word, you guys nailed a great take on this. Marvelous stuff.

On 10/27/2020 at 3:04 PM, mark skinner said:

If I were in the market for a Kemper , this one would sell me. They'd do well to get a hold of this for a promo.  Enjoyed it again ..  mark

On 10/27/2020 at 3:26 PM, Paul Bush said:

Great video and music , really caught the feel of the song

22 hours ago, Bapu said:

Nice rendition and video Peter.

Thanks for your comments guys!

@ Mark, the Kemper was a game changer for me. The profiles used in the track were my own profiles which I created from my live rig.

Cheers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

I just echo all the above (with the exception of the Kemper comments, I don't need anymore gear, so I'll just pretend its a Marshall...)

👍

t

Well you're not wrong. The Kemper profiles were made from my Marshall.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

If anyone uses a Kemper, the main profile used in the first part of the song was my Marshall JCM2000/Drivemaster amp/pedal combination.

It's available as a free download on my website. www.peterhanmer.co.za

Cheers.

On 11/10/2020 at 1:11 AM, bjornpdx said:

You guys are really good. Great video, pretty cool watching you guys play together. Not being much of a guitar player myself, I don't know what a Kemper is and I always wonder how come the lead guitar player never needs a score sheet?  ☺️

Thanks, Bjorn!

Basically a Kemper is a digital hardware device that mimics the tone of a miced up guitar amp which allows you to record directly into your DAW.