Windows 10 October 2020 Update now available

cclarry

I want to know when mickeysoft are going to emulate Core Audio and allow aggregate devices!!.. It's the 21st century, we are on 64bit OS and with silly amounts of RAM and CPU power... drivers from major audio hardware makers are stable.... excuses now still??... It's the one part of Windoze that still piiiii sss es me off :).

On 10/21/2020 at 2:36 PM, Tony Carpenter said:

I want to know when mickeysoft are going to emulate Core Audio and allow aggregate devices!!.. It's the 21st century, we are on 64bit OS and with silly amounts of RAM and CPU power... drivers from major audio hardware makers are stable.... excuses now still??... It's the one part of Windoze that still piiiii sss es me off :).

Unless those multiple audio interfaces are running via a single clock source, the aggregate device is all but useless.

Audio tracks recorded/played via two separate audio clocks will drift apart over time (due to the small differences between the clocks).

A more robust setup is two audio interfaces (same model/series) that were designed to operate (simultaneously) under the same driver (essentially adding more I/O).

Those with multiple audio interfaces all running from a single clock-source (those who'd actually/practically benefit from aggregate devices) are a minuscule part of the overall DAW using community.  The DAW using community is a tiny fraction of the overall number of computer users.  This is why MS doesn't spend development time... to allow aggregate devices. 

Edited by Jim Roseberry
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cclarry said:

2004 was offered, and performed, by Windows update.  I tried 8 times to update, and all failed.
I figured I would try to go to 2009 and see if it would work...same result...multiple times.

My machine with a Z94 chipset with a 4790 would not update either.  My FX6300 system got the update.  I'm going to assume my Intel didn't update because I have an AP2496 in it.  I'm not going to pull it out when the system is working fine as is.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 4:38 AM, cclarry said:

2004 wouldn't update on mine, and now this one won't either...
so whatever...

If you have one, did you disable your 3rd party antivirus/antimalware program prior to the attempt?

My 2004 update consistently failed until I did this. 

My 20H2 update was offered via Windows update and went smooth as (Even did not have to disable my antivirus/antimalware program)

I managed to upgrade to 20H2 using the media creation tool, and selecting the "Keep my files" option... which deletes all your program files (and all your stuff in ProgramData), but keeps your "personal" files intact. Copies of your program files / program data are in the windows.old directory, so it's easy to copy stuff over (e.g. VST's that don't have an installer) if need be.

I got about 1/2 way through re-installing programs before a reboot refused to boot again.  I've gone through this procedure TWICE this week (so wasted around 30 hours).

The second time around I was running sfc /scannow before every reboot, just to make sure no installation had screwed anything up.

The last time it failed was just after installing Antares AVOX 4.  I seriously doubt that would have caused the issue, but it was rebooting fine up until that point.

So now I'm back to square one having restored my 1909 image yet again.

I'm gonna re-enable system restore the next time I try this, in the hope I'll be able to rollback the state if this happens again, but I'm very close to losing all confidence in these Microsoft upgrades.

• Sad 2