CD burning -- what do you use?

Michael McBroom

I've been using CDBurnerXP for years -- until it decided to screw around with my computer's new CD/DVD drive. When I insert a  new blank CD into the drive, CDBurnerXP sez the drive is empty. I've tried reinserting the disk, going though its settings menu, whatever limited means it has to offer, but it still sees my CDs as blank (I've tried 2 disks so far). 

So, I decided to try something else. I started with the Windows Media Player, but I couldn't figure out how to get it set up to burn what I wanted. Then I tried my iTunes player. Same sort of thing with it. I'm having lots of trouble just getting my tunes recognized and organized. At least they both saw the empty CD drive though, so I know there's nothing wrong with the drive -- I hope. 

-- Oh, full disclosure -- the music I'm trying to record is a group of my own compositions which I've already converted to .wav format using the 44.1/16 redbook standard.

I know Cakewalk has the capability to burn CDs, but I heard from a user here, probably a few years back now, that Cakewalk's CD burning ability was rudimentary, so I've never tried it.

One thing I like about CDBurnerXP is I can input my name as the composer and the album's name for each song. I dunno yet if I can do this with iTunes or WMP -- or Cakewalk, far as that goes. Whatever I end up with, assuming I can't get CDBXP to work again, I still want this ability.

So, what do you use, and why do you like it? Is it a free application you found or does it cost money, and if so, how much? Or do you find that Cakewalk does what you need? I'm in the process of building a set of filenames for a burn in Cakewalk, so I'll know shortly.

Edited by Michael McBroom

Yeah, I imagine Sony CD Architect is a hard product to find.

It was sold to MAGIX in 2016 with the rest of the Sony Creative Software.

MAGIX carried it as part of their product line for a while but no more (not sure when they stopped selling it).

CD Architect was bundled with SoundForge Pro but when CD burning was integrated into SoundForge, MAGIX stopped distributing CD Architect with it.

I have CD Architect and a couple of other pieces of software that burn CDs and DVD but I have not used any of them in some time.

CD Architect is controlled by MAGIX.  Unfortunately, my version 5.2 which came with Sound Forge no longer can be activated, although MAGIX will take you through the steps to do so.  At then end, however, it says my version is 5.4 and says my  serial number/product key don't match that version.  I have gotten no help from support.

But, yes, it is a good program.

Windows Media Player will do the job quite nicely.  Just  click on the "Burn" tab on the right and drag those wave files into the "Burn List."  Then click on "Start Burn."

36 minutes ago, Michael McBroom said:

Well, apparently CD Architect lives on -- and is being marketed by Sony, no less. A bit too pricey for my tastes. Here's a link to v5.2 at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-CD-Architect-5-2-Download/dp/B00DQG89XU

That page is confusing.

It links to the Sony store but the Q&A at the bottom has MAGIX replies.

It has not been a Sony product since 2016 and I could not find it on the MAGIX site today.

I did not check Amazon but they appear to be the only place that claim the product is available.

After I posted that note, I did some poking around on the web, and found a lot of sites that were offering free copies of v5.2 that had been  cracked. I d/l'd a few of these cracks and none of them worked. Heh.  I suspect that's an old page on Amazon and they haven't gotten around to 86ing it yet.

Well, as it turns out, I have a bit of good news, at least. I went to the CDBXP website and d/l'd their latest version, installed it, and now its recognizing my CD/DVD drive again. That's a relief. It might not be the greatest, but it gets the job done.

20 hours ago, Michael Fogarty said:

I use Nero Burning Rom. Never fails.

I agree.  I do too, largely because of the ease of inputting metadata and saving it for tracks within the Nero "compilation."   You can then update those tracks later with new versions of your wave files and still keep the metadata you entered for the earlier version, as long as the name of the file is the same..

I bought Nero 7 a long time ago and it seems to still work great. Because I have that I have never even tried anything else. 

But I know all of my Wave editors offer CD burning options. And some of them I got free. 

I have Gold Wave, Audacity, Sound forge, Wave Lab and Acoustica. 

I bought a copy of Nero back in my Win 98 days. I still have the CD around here somewhere, but I have my doubts it would still work, or even be worth pursuing. I might look up the new version, though. Heinz, thanks for the link. I'll give burnaware a try.

I'm mostly after inputting data about the stuff that's on my CDs. CDBXP is light in this regard -- composer's name, name of the album and name of the track, that's it.

11 minutes ago, Michael McBroom said:

I checked a little further. According to this site, v9 was the last free version of Nero:

https://nero-9-free.en.lo4d.com/windows

So, no stolen software. You should double-check before you make such assumptions. Turns out it's v9.4.12.3.

given this post I did not bother to check

On 10/20/2020 at 3:22 AM, Michael McBroom said:

After I posted that note, I did some poking around on the web, and found a lot of sites that were offering free copies of v5.2 that had been  cracked. I d/l'd a few of these cracks and none of them worked. Heh.  I suspect that's an old page on Amazon and they haven't gotten around to 86ing it yet.

Well, as it turns out, I have a bit of good news, at least. I went to the CDBXP website and d/l'd their latest version, installed it, and now its recognizing my CD/DVD drive again. That's a relief. It might not be the greatest, but it gets the job done.

There are quite a few sites that offer "free" software without permission.

The best source for free software is the manufacturer.