Melodyne 5

bitflipper

Celemony has been pestering me to upgrade for months. I've resisted because

• version 4 already does everything I really need
  • it's going to be offered at a lower price before year's end 
  • I wasn't convinced that the new features weren't just bells 'n whistles
  • iLok requirement
  • they don't take PayPal

Then I discovered this guy, Rich Crescenti. He does for Melodyne what Dan Worrall does for FabFilter, namely gets you excited about using the product, even if you already do. Like Dan's FF videos, Rich managed to take a tool that I thought I already knew intimately and showed me new ways to use it. It was his piano leveling demo below that made me cry "uncle" and give them the $149, Black Friday be damned.

Here's a link to all his videos, which mostly pertain to vocals as expected, but also bass, drums and piano. Plus some Studio One-specific tutorials for you S1 users. Note that even though he's pushing Melodyne 5, 95% of what's demonstrated applies to version 4 as well, so it's worth a look even if you're determined to postpone the upgrade for now.

I feel like a hypocrite, as I hate iLok and I don't like giving out credit card info online. Oh well. It was only a matter of time before somebody got me to capitulate. But this is the last time. Really.

• Thanks 4

Yes, version 5 requires iLok. However, the hardware dongle is optional. You can use the software-only Pace driver instead. [EDIT: SEE CORRECTION BELOW]

This locks it to your computer, but they allow multiple registrations if you use more than one computer. Just don't forget (like I once did) to delete previous registrations if you upgrade your computer, lest you run out of authorizations (like I did). Unlike some other companies who employ draconian protections (rhymes with "Raves"), Melodyne has never left me in the lurch by suddenly deciding I didn't own it. Hopefully that continues to be the case.

Also note that

• Windows 10 is required
  • There is no 32-bit version
  • An internet connection is necessary for authorization
  • VST2 is no longer an option (VST3 only)
  • Rewire is no longer supported (but not needed in CW and never worked well anyway)

37 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

Yes, version 5 requires iLok. However, the hardware dongle is optional. You can use the software-only Pace driver instead.

This locks it to your computer, but they allow multiple registrations if you use more than one computer. Just don't forget (like I once did) to delete previous registrations if you upgrade your computer, lest you run out of authorizations (like I did). Unlike some other companies who employ draconian protections (rhymes with "Raves"), Melodyne has never left me in the lurch by suddenly deciding I didn't own it. Hopefully that continues to be the case.

Also note that

• Windows 10 is required
  • There is no 32-bit version
  • An internet connection is necessary for authorization
  • VST2 is no longer an option (VST3 only)
  • Rewire is no longer supported (but not needed in CW and never worked well anyway)

Thank you for the info, and the video links. As long as I don't need an iLok Dongle, I'm okay with the software. 

7 hours ago, Bapu said:

I'm Pro-iLok. Been using it for over 8 years now with nary a problem.

Did you just use the term "nary" ? Could that be a problem???  🕵

Meanwhile, me too, 2 dongles across 15 years, no big deal, even the time their system took a dump and screwed the entire world for three days or summat.

Correction: I may have been wrong about the Pace requirement. I've been unable to find the paragraph that said that (or that I interpreted as saying that). It may be that the options are between an iLok dongle and software-based protection that is similar to Pace but not supplied by Pace. The difference is that while it's still tied to your computer, you don't need an iLok account to make it work and won't need to have the Pace driver service running.

• Like 1

This is from the requirements page:

Activation

Computer-based or iLok USB dongle (2nd or 3rd generation), Melodyne essential only computer-based. Internet access is required for the first activation.

and this is from the FAQ:

How many activations can be transferred to an iLok dongle?

If you bought a "Melodyne assistant”, "Melodyne editor” or "Melodyne studio” edition, you can transfer only one of the two activations to an iLok2 or iLok3 USB dongle. One of the two activations always has to remain with our computer-based activation system.

Please be aware that we do not support iLok’s Cloud activation system. You need an iLok2 or iLok3 USB dongle to activate the supported "Melodyne” editions.

so it looks like iLok is optional, but you need at least one activation on Celemony's system.

On 10/23/2020 at 7:50 AM, bitflipper said:

Apologies to anyone who may have been put off of Melodyne 5 by me mistakenly assuming the software copy protection was Pace. It isn't.

BTW, the upgrade was worth it just for the new leveling feature. Saved hours of editing.

I can’t live without it. Just blows Antares Auto-Tune away. I think I got my first copy through Cakewalk. A long time ago....... 

Antares saved the world from having to deal with the singing of a couple of friends of mine.  They apparently thought the 12 notes could be sung with only three, so I recorded them and played them back using Antares (I had both the hardware and software versions).  When they heard how much correction was required, they stuck with their instruments instead thus saving lots of ears everywhere! 😁

I remember an argument with a bandmate, wherein he explained that "there's no set way to sing a melody" and his was just his own interpretation.

I countered that if he expected the rest of us to provide backing vocals he'd do well to stick with notes that were within the key of the song. This seemed to be an alien concept to him. And he wasn't even a bass player.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bitflipper said:

I remember an argument with a bandmate, wherein he explained that "there's no set way to sing a melody" and his was just his own interpretation.

I countered that if he expected the rest of us to provide backing vocals he'd do well to stick with notes that were within the key of the song. This seemed to be an alien concept to him. And he wasn't even a bass player.

Ahhhh ... drummer.

3 hours ago, bitflipper said:

The  Tambourine player...😏