Mastering in BANDLAB'S and LANDR'S online services.

Waldemar Pawlik

I just mastered a song in Bandlab's free mastering service, and to my ears, I think it did a reasonable job.

I had tried mastering the song myself but was not impressed with my own efforts. I then tried LANDR which only gave me a low resolution MP3 which was I thought was still better than my own effort. However, it requires subscription for higher quality masters for which I'm not ready yet. 

I then found that Bandlab offers free unlimited masters in CD quality, and I'm already signed up anyway via Cakewalk. I then made a CD quality and a MP3 master and imported them together with LANDR's version, into Cakewalk to compare the differences. The LANDR version was just a dB or so louder, and perhaps just slightly darker than Bandlabs, but apart from that I couldn't determine much difference between the three versions.

So, has anybody else here tried these online mastering services and what are your thoughts?

Yes, I've tried them and think they are pretty good.

Craig Anderton did a blind test with us comparing professionally mastered with landr. Many could detect the difference.

I think it is great for quick efforts, but if you really love your song, you might try both.

Edited by Gswitz

I passed a couple of tracks through Bandlabs Mastering service.

It did wonders to one track, but overly maxed out others.  The track that worked well was dynamically lower as I hadn't tried to peak everything to -1, whereas the others were already dynamically quite near the mastering limit so Bandlab just crushed them and maxed out the sound. 

So, a hit and a miss - not bad though.

I tried bandlab a month of cloudbounce and landr. I prefer ozone mastering where i can adjust many aspects of the process. I remember reading an online in depth comparison review that went into details of the differences but it was a while back and i forgot where. I am new to mastering been learning a few years now so not an experienced opinion, but i like ozone best