Suggested method of installing Cakewalk to ensure access to previously purchased plug-ins

Ted Chmura

GREETINGS from a LONG TIME SONAR user who "left the game" for a few years and is ready to get back in !!  More specifically, I have a brand new dedicated Music Production computer with a totally "clean slate" and am looking to start installing Cakewalk.  I'm fixated on one particular Q&A entry:

Q.  Will Cakewalk by BandLab support my SONAR Platinum plug-ins?

A.  Yes – as long as they are installed on your computer and have been previously authorized

Now I have licensed the highest version of SONAR back to version 2 and I want to be sure that all those nice Synths, Fx, and Samples are available to me.  I'm getting the feeling that I should FIRST install the older Command Center and use it to download and install SONAR and all the "old" content - and THEN install Cakewalk by Bandlab.

My question is - is this in fact the "best" way to get a brand new computer setup with the latest/greatest version of Cakewalk WHILE STILL ENSURING ACCESS to all the "old" content from the prior versions of SONAR ??

Thanks in advance !!

Ted

The key is to know what must to be installed in order and what happens if the install order is not followed. 

The condensed version is

• advanced install using minimal installation of 64bit X2+X2a to get V-Vocal (there is an video in the thread about this)
  • install at least the 64bit Platinum program
  • install CbB

That is it for the items to install in order. Installing out of order usually means the most recent version of shared utilities is overwritten. The quick fix is uninstall and reinstall CbB.

At your leisure and in no particular order run the 64bit Platinum plug-in installers and use the advanced install option for 64bit X3 and older as needed to pick up older plug-ins.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ted Chmura said:

I have licensed the highest version of SONAR back to version 2 and I want to be sure that all those nice Synths, Fx, and Samples are available to me.

I don't think that all of the content from way back then will be available online, so if you don't have the original install disks, you may be out of luck.
But I'm sure that there are comparable (probably better) synths, samples and FX available.

This is true. Full downloadable version of SONAR started with X1.

The SONAR 8.5 update may be downloaded but it relies on an existing SONAR 8 install which was only available on disk.

Versions prior to SONAR 5 were 32bit only so I doubt the plug-ins would be very useful.