Waves Plugins updated to V12!

cclarry

8 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Do they still include v10 in the new Waves Central or is that now relegated to the v9 and prior MASSIVE 3+ gig  offline installer package.

Wondering how mad I need to be with this failure of an update program.

I see a drop down with a choice of V10, V11, and V12 in the new Wave Central.  V9 is still the crazy extra thing.

• Thanks 4

On my windows machine the resizing of one test (Abbey Road Chambers) was great. 200% was nearly crystal clear. 75% was too small (DUH!). This was in Studio One Pro V5. 

In CbB 200% was ever so slightly fuzzy, but workable for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I updated this morning.

The resizing is so so on some plugins, good on others. It is pretty bad on the Scheps Omni Channel.

The preset browser is quite nice for me. On the Scheps Omni Channel it makes it much easier to check out presets and zero in to the best preset (starting point) for a particular track. ex. just typing 'el' makes it easy to find all the presets for electric guitar. Very very nice!

One feature not mentioned in the upgrade info: I got a ton of new presets for the Scheps Omni Channel which was well worth the 13$ I paid for WUP. Very nice surprise!

All in all, I find v12 worth it.

Just now, locrian said:

What is this marvelous, magical, mysterious trick you speak of?

I gave everyone a way to get 2 years of WUP for the price of one when you were ready
to buy WUP.  Buy a new plugin, then include that new plugin in the WUP purchase.
WUP is renewed from the LAST expiration date of your plugins, which would be 1 year
from the purchase of the NEW plugin, giving you 2 years for the price of one...
but they've killled the ability to do that!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cclarry said:

I gave everyone a way to get 2 years of WUP for the price of one when you were ready
to buy WUP.  Buy a new plugin, then include that new plugin in the WUP purchase.
WUP is renewed from the LAST expiration date of your plugins, which would be 1 year
from the purchase of the NEW plugin, giving you 2 years for the price of one...
but they've killled the ability to do that!

So that means if you WUP now renewal is calculated relative to the expiration date of each plugin (which at most will be just one year) ... yes?

2 hours ago, Jacques Boileau said:

The resizing is so so on some plugins, good on others. It is pretty bad on the Scheps Omni Channel.

The preset browser is quite nice for me. On the Scheps Omni Channel it makes it much easier to check out presets and zero in to the best preset (starting point) for a particular track. ex. just typing 'el' makes it easy to find all the presets for electric guitar. Very very nice!

One feature not mentioned in the upgrade info: I got a ton of new presets for the Scheps Omni Channel which was well worth the 13$ I paid for WUP. Very nice surprise!

What's bad about the resizing?

Omni Channel is the only one I own that has expired. I was planning to WUP it for the sole reason of being able to resize it larger, but after reading what you wrote may not bother.

4 minutes ago, locrian said:

So that means if you WUP now renewal is calculated relative to the expiration date of each plugin (which at most will be just one year) ... yes?

Now you get the following message:

1 year of Waves Update Plan coverage is capped at $240 for all non-identical products.

Your Waves Update Plan exceeds the $240 cap due to either selecting multiple identical licenses, or the coverage you’re about to purchase is for more than 1 year for some of the selected licenses.

So they have, indeed, capped it at one year for the products you select.  If those products go beyond 1 year, you pay more!

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, locrian said:

Edit: This covers the same as Larry's post but leaving it up for the example case.

It looks like in some cases extensions can go for more than a year, like before, but now you're paying for that time, at the rate of maximum $240/year. I'm having a hard time finding the right words to easily explain what's going on... always reassuring when a company sets their business model up that way :) . But my account's example is pretty straightforward:

I have plugins V9, V10, V11. Many purchased, several free, but that doesn't seem to matter with WUP.

When I go to upgrade I see two groups:

Group A, "Expired": Many plugins that have fallen out of WUP. All purchased or obtained over a year ago.

Group B, "Covered": A handful of plugins still in WUP. Purchased or obtained for free within the last year.

By default, all the plugins in Group A are selected and none in Group B. My offer is $240 which will renew WUP for one year from today. 

As soon as I start selecting plugins from Group B, the extension date for all the plugins is set to one year past the latest expiration date. However the price scales up to match. 

My most recent plugin is a freebie from the last sale. It has WUP through September 2021 already. If I choose to extend it along with all my expired plugins, my WUP price increases from $240 (one year cap) to $476 but all plugins are extended to September 2022 -- just under two years of renewal for just under two years of cost.

As a bonus, the plugins are licensed to a single machine. You get two licenses so long as you pay for WUP but the day your WUP sub expires the extra licenses vanish. Sort of seems like the worst of artificial upgrades and subscription business models.

Edited by mister_tea
typo, and Larry was faster
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mister_tea said:

As soon as I start selecting plugins from Group B, the extension date for all the plugins is set to one year past that date. However the price scales up to match. 

My most recent plugin is a freebie from the last sale. It has WUP through September 2021 already. If I go to extend it along with all my expired plugins, my WUP price increases from $240 (one year cap) to $476 -- just under two years of renewal for just under two years of cost.

As a bonus, the plugins are licensed to a single machine. You get two licenses so long as you pay for WUP but the day your WUP sub expires the extra licenses vanish. Sort of seems like the worst of artificial upgrades and subscription business models.

I went through the same steps you described above and, at first, thought I had to pay (WUP) to have all my "Group B" plugins converted to V12; I like the new resizing and prest browser options.  But then I realized that everything in Group B could be updated for free (which, of course, I just did).

I'm not sure if you, or others, realize this, so I'm mentioning it to make sure that no one who's entitled to upgrade for free misses the opportunity.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, simon said:

FWIW - the resizing on Windows is pretty poor, the quality image quality is terrible....75% and the text is unreadable - 150% and all the images are out of focus..... and with things like Waves Tune you don't actually get any extra space to work in

AND

the new preset browser is like an weird addon - pretty clumsy.

So no real reason to WUP if you haven't already....and I quite like waves (runs and hides !)

Maybe the v13 WUP will include important and ground-breaking features such as

• Readable text at more zoom sizes, e.g. 75%
  • Clearer graphics at larger zoom sizes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1