Waves Plugins updated to V12!

cclarry

WHAT'S NEW IN WAVES V12

RESIZE YOUR PLUGINS

5 adjustable sizes to view your plugins as large or small as you want to.

LIGHTNING-FAST PRESET BROWSER

Find & audition the perfect presets with instant text search.

RETINA-READY GRAPHICS

Enjoy sharper graphics & optimized GPU performance on Macs with retina displays.

FUTURE-PROOFED COMPATIBILITY

Full ongoing compatibility with the latest DAWs & operating systems.

FREE PLUGINS ADDED TO SELECT BUNDLES

Platinum, Horizon, and Diamond owners get LoAir, Smack Attack, Submarine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My main WUP was expiring Oct 28th, so I just got in on this, which I guess is good because I wasn't planning to re-WUP (at least not without a good reason).  It seems clear now that Waves has changed their update model.  That long period (many years) of v9 minor updates without a major version change is gone, replaced with almost clockwork yearly major version updates.  I guess this is one of the costs to the $29 plugin model.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, chris.r said:

So basically they added GUI resizing and preset browser and that was enough reasons for stepping up the version... and giving more headache to those who don't regularly WUP-ing their collections. Lame.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner folks! 

Didn't they say the quick turnaround from v10 to v11 was because of mac problems? So they basically had to make a new version because of that, but v11 was supposed to stay longer. Well I guess they thought a year is long enough. This is a really sketchy business model

13 minutes ago, cclarry said:

He's agreeing with what you said Chris

Thanks, I was wondering what kind of game was it :D. Yes, I should be more clear it's my subjective opinion and I understand those who will benefit from it but I also noticed that if you want to (edit: have to) keep more and more legacy versions there is an additional wrapper added with each version and that can obscure computer resources quickly in a dense project, so I don't like it. Furthermore there is always much mess with updating my installed collection after buying a new plugin especially after announcing a new version like today. I like my waves plugins but I don't like the confusion with their authorizing method and the constant anxiety that they will drop support for legacy versions like v9 one day.

Edit: and I think Matthew was spot on with the change in their approach in his post above.

Edited by chris.r

FWIW - the resizing on Windows is pretty poor, the quality image quality is terrible....75% and the text is unreadable - 150% and all the images are out of focus..... and with things like Waves Tune you don't actually get any extra space to work in

AND

the new preset browser is like an weird addon - pretty clumsy.

So no real reason to WUP if you haven't already....and I quite like waves (runs and hides !)

Edited by simon
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Bapu said:

The single biggest arrrrgh is that I have a long wait on initial new scans in all my DAWs on both machines. 😞 

For me it's always the first one or two scans per windows session then it get's quicker. I blame defender.

While image resizing isn't as good as true vector resizing, it's still better than nothing.  The preset browser is also better than what they had.  They certainly could do some work though on making plugins that could use more work space not just resize the smaller GUI but rather resize the app.  I played with a few Abby Road plugins and it was nice to make them larger on my 4k screen.  Not worth paying more money for though.