SOLVED - Panning.

Will.

I'm gonna try to keep this short and direct. 

Here it is, I never get true " Mono Pan" in Cakewalk. There's always a little bleeding on the opposite channel - even when the illusion of "True Mono Pan" is being projected. With other DAWs this is not there.

Hence - I have to add, this is only noticeable when going really close to the opposite speaker/channel. It was never an issue until I had my wallet placed on the right speaker and had it fell off behind, when I first noticed this. Since then its been bothering me. 

Anyone that can help me with this.

Edited by Will_Kaydo

19 minutes ago, Craig Anderton said:

Is the track interleave set to mono?

All the way and so is the output Craig. Even when I route it to dedicated mono channel it's still there ONLY when I move close to the monitor speaker. I can feel the vibrations too in the woofer. If I sit in my sweet spot, I can't hear it. 

Weird! Can the cause be from unbalanced cables perhaps? That's where me head is at right now. 

3 hours ago, twelvetone said:

I was going to say Offset is on...

Even if you create a fresh project, copy some audio in a mono track and pan hard?

It's off. Was one of the first things I had checked. 

10 minutes ago, Craig Anderton said:

Is there a mixer applet in the background?

Interesting. Does the windows 10 one counts? Plus, the motherboards onboard updated version - which is MSI. 

Let's take CbB out of the equation for a second. If you pan your track 100% left, then export a stereo WAV and then import that into a 2-track editor (Audacity, etc), do you see any audio on the silent channel at all?

If not, I'd tend to rule CbB out of this because if there was some kind of offset going on, you'd see it. I'd look at the environment then (mixer applets, "helpful" environmental enhancement things that some drivers like to install, etc.)

On the other hand, if there is audio happening in the silent channel when you look at the WAV then you can work backwards through CbB to track down when that begins.

Edited by Lord Tim

5 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

Let's take CbB out of the equation for a second.

We can't do this, cause I've tried another DAW, nothing like that happen. 

5 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

On the other hand, if there is audio happening in the silent channel when you look at the WAV then you can work backwards through CbB to track down when that begins.

Bingo! There's nothing on the opposite channel on the WAV when you export, but Cakewalk projects sound coming from there. I even tried looking into "DIM SOLO," made sense at the time lol. Fiddled with PanningCompactLaw as well it was on "False." Checked my panning law too. It's set to "0db Center, Balanced Control." 

One answer I'm not getting is if anyone else hear this when they go close to their monitor of feel the woofer doing something? 

If there's nothing being exported in the final WAV then that rules CbB out, pretty much.

The only other exception is if you've got multiple outputs and the WAV you're exporting isn't including them. Eg: You have an interface with Stereo 1/2 and Stereo 3/4 outs. Your master is set to output on 1/2 and that's the WAV that gets exported, but you might actually still be hearing 3/4 as well.

What audio interface are you running and how is it hooked into your speakers / headphones?

39 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

If there's nothing being exported in the final WAV then that rules CbB out, pretty much.

The only other exception is if you've got multiple outputs and the WAV you're exporting isn't including them. Eg: You have an interface with Stereo 1/2 and Stereo 3/4 outs. Your master is set to output on 1/2 and that's the WAV that gets exported, but you might actually still be hearing 3/4 as well.

What audio interface are you running and how is it hooked into your speakers / headphones?

😢 but why isn't it happening in (Hate to say it) Pro tools?  I tried Ableton lite too - works as it should. 

Using Focusrite Solo, set to output on Master Bus as default. When creating a new track it routes automatically to the Master Output, but even changing the track output to run solely the interface its still there. 

Connectivity is RCA inputs (Solo) to TRS jacks (Monitors.)

My QUESTION still stand. Why only in Cakewalk?

Really appreciate the effort to help here TIM. 

And like I'd said, when sitting in my "Sweet Spot" it's not noticeable -- only if you put your ear close to monitor. I discovered this few months ago, when I had my wallet fell down the back of my right speaker.  

Edited by Will_Kaydo

Only in cakewalk for you.

It doesn't happen for me.

Try a new project. Single track, mono interleave, panned hard.

Do bounce to tracks and split mono. Now normalize the quiet track.

When i take these steps i get a flat line.

Now when i add a nice stereo reverb to the master bus, i have signal on both sides.

Other fx will do this too. Console emulator on the master bus will bleed to the quiet track, for example.

No one is in a dither over this bc we are mostly thinking pibcak.

Edited by Gswitz
  • Like 1

@Lord Tim @Craig Anderton really appreciate the help. 

Managed to solve the issue. I've reverted back "5" version's of this saved template. Guess it was some sort of setting that was saved as such - don't know. Deleted those 5 newer ones and kept this one as "latest 0ct20th." Just have to copy it to my external drive, once I'm done with the custom keybinding - this time staying out of preferences. 

Thanks guys. 

• Like 1

Glad you got it sorted :)

There's plenty of things that can make a project go weird like this, especially anything that manipulates the stereo field or plays around with phase, or some console emulators like @Gswitz mentioned. It could also be a dithering thing as well.

The worst one I've had is having a headphone send going to output 3/4 on my TASCAM 16x08 and for whatever reason, if I didn't have those hardware outputs muted when I exported (and in one weird case, even actually in the project at all - I had to delete anything sending to 3/4 entirely), exporting 1/2 would clip the output. Wot 😐  Got to love wonky projects, hey?

Edited by Lord Tim
  • Like 1