FLAT_WHITE (2021.12)

Colin Nicholls

11 minutes ago, seakay said:

Yoooo this theme is sick (if you don't remember me, colin, its me caleb kim. You probably dont remember, but not too long ago I asked for an all white theme). I'm so happy for this!!!

I do remember; but FLAT WHITE wasn't directly in response to your request. However I did think you might enjoy it. I'm glad to hear that is the case.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 7:04 PM, Colin Nicholls said:

Please let me know if you spot something that doesn't work in the context of the theme.

I'm enjoying the Flat White theme very much.  I did run into one little problem, though.

This is with the "Clip header indicators" on MIDI clips.  (Clip indicators are those little icons on the top right of the clip, that show things like double-click action preference, FX presence, and several others).

As shown below, on an unselected clip, the indicators are "white on white" and are very hard to read.   Similarly,   on a selected clip, the indicators are "black on black" and also hard to read.

Thanks for any advice or modifications.

unselected2.jpg

selected2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for this theme, it's great! ❤️

I've been using Mercury for many years, but realized this theme increases visibility for many things, including automation. And the flat look also helps readability of the FX names in the FX bin! 😃

Is it time-consuming or difficult to learn how to make personal modifications to it with the Theme Editor? I would like to try slightly less dark lines between the tracks in the track view, and also have less saturated colors (I think I'd like pastel) for clips, for example.

Edit: In projects where track colors are set, the clip colors don't match the colors set for the track. Would this be technically possible to achieve? It would make more sense... 😉

Edited by GreenLight

4 hours ago, GreenLight said:

Is it time-consuming or difficult to learn how to make personal modifications to it with the Theme Editor? I would like to try slightly less dark lines between the tracks in the track view, and also have less saturated colors (I think I'd like pastel) for clips, for example.

Edit: In projects where track colors are set, the clip colors don't match the colors set for the track. Would this be technically possible to achieve? It would make more sense... 😉

It's not time-consuming once you know what you are doing but there is a learning curve.

For your specific issue, have you tried changing the option under the Track View menu:

View > Display > [X] Display Track Separators

I usually run with that option un-checked, as this specific UI element - Track Separator - is not affected by Theme customization, there just isn't an option for it.

Also, color customization is complicated by an older feature in Cakewalk that interacts/overlays the Theme options. Basically you can load a custom theme, but then any changes from "Normal" under Preferences > Customization > Colors that you've made will overlay or over-ride the Theme elements.

And there are some options under this Customization > Colors area that don't have a matching element in a Theme - the Track View Vertical Beat and Vertical Measure line colors for example.

Regarding the clip colors, this is another case where the Theme sets the default but the Colors preferences can override. And of course, in any project you can then customize the colors on a per-Track and per-Clip basis, which take precedence over any Theme or Color Pref option.

I get what you're saying about preferring pastel shades but you also have to be aware of how Cakewalk will tint, fade, or change these colors based on things that are happening in your project. I recommend reviewing this section of my guide: Clip Colors

Edited by Colin Nicholls
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2021 at 6:25 PM, Colin Nicholls said:

It's not time-consuming once you know what you are doing but there is a learning curve.

Regarding the clip colors, this is another case where the Theme sets the default but the Colors preferences can override. And of course, in any project you can then customize the colors on a per-Track and per-Clip basis, which take precedence over any Theme or Color Pref option.

I get what you're saying about preferring pastel shades but you also have to be aware of how Cakewalk will tint, fade, or change these colors based on things that are happening in your project. I recommend reviewing this section of my guide: Clip Colors

Thank you for your ambitious input and sorry for my late reply.

Oh, it can get a bit complicated then with themes and colors and different overrides. And thanks for the input about Track Separators, I had never seen that in the menu. 😃 I will check out the clip colors post as well.

I had my first stint at theming this weekend and I can see why you guys do it... it's addictive! It's easy to forget about the music... 😂

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...