Forum Strangeness... (can't connect at home)

synkrotron

Having a bit of a strange problem my end at the moment with regards to accessing this forum.

At home, while connected to my router, either hard wired or wifi I get an error trying to connect.

I am currently tethered to my mobile on its 4G connection as that seems to be working okay.

Any ideas?

I've tried doing the flush DNS thing.

I've cleared cookies.

I've rebooted my router.

image.png.890345d31b81804425ca036344150220.png

Edited by synkrotron

4 hours ago, Wookiee said:

This has been addressed now Andy there has been some issues with DNS at the cakewalk end of things.  There is a comment from Noel in the main forum upstairs.

Thanks @Wookiee,

I'll have a read of Noel's post.

Still not working for me at the moment but perhaps now is the time to flush stuff out of the system.

Cheers

andy

I had intermittent problems most of yesterday with this site only, slightly different error message, something about a bad tunnel, which means sweet FA to me, but it's fine today, so maybe craigb is right and Mrs S doesn't want me to give away any more of her secrets?😏

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, craigb said:

DNS fixes can take 24-48 hours to propagate to all the servers.  That might be the issue too.

Good point... I will give it a few more days and in the meantime I will feed my addiction by using my phone 4G connection.

@Wookiee, I can't find Noel's post you mentioned. A search didn't pull anything up either. Do you have a link?

cheers

andy

1 hour ago, paulo said:

I had intermittent problems most of yesterday with this site only, slightly different error message, something about a bad tunnel, which means sweet FA to me, but it's fine today, so maybe craigb is right and Mrs S doesn't want me to give away any more of her secrets?😏

Are you using a Virtual Private Network (a VPN)?  VPN's create a private tunnel through the internet and help with security because, if someone attempts to access anything in the tunnel, the VPN software basically drops that tunnel and creates a new one).  Of course, they can also mask the IP you're using which is why they're so popular with the bit torrent kiddies (who don't realize that their signup information is usually fully available to law enforcement anyway - lol).

A bad tunnel could also reference  one illegal immigrants dig under a border wall but find an underground water source instead... 😀

This forum disappeared for me yesterday too.

I normally use Chrome for this forum, but it was telling me the server refused my connection.

On Firefox however, I got some weird holding page - you know the sort that gives you loads of links to "related" sites.

I tried flushing my dns cache twice - the same thing.

I gave it 30 mins, and the forum was back.

I'm not running any sort of VPN here.