Life after death for musicians?

Notes_Norton

Bagpipes have their place, but they are just too easy to make jokes about. The thing that gets me is the drone pipe is intentionally out of tune and as a sax player who has to adjust the intonation of every note with my lip, I my ears want me to correct it.

But if it was in tune the bagpipes wouldn't sound right.

- - - - - -

Bayou Bill, that sounds like heaven to me, but not nearly as good as playing sax in an all-girl cabaret in New Orleans.

- - - - - -

When I was 18 I was underage but still playing in a band that did night clubs, We got a gig playing in a strip club. Mostly 12 bar blues in 12/8 time as this was right before strippers started disrobing to rock music.

It's a good thing they had us sitting down so my hormonal appreciation didn't show. ;)

The star of the show was a girl who's name I forget, but the byline was "with her million dollar wardrobe". None of which (except for pasties and g-string) stayed on throughout the show.

The dancers were quite nice to us, but the strict rule was no dating anyone who works there and absolutely no leaving with one of the customers. As an 18 year old kid, I couldn't help but dream about doing more than playing sax for them.

It was a good gig and lasted one season.

Oh, and we actually got paid for that!!!

Insights, incites and road stories by Notes

31 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

Bagpipes have their place, but they are just too easy to make jokes about. The thing that gets me is the drone pipe is intentionally out of tune and as a sax player who has to adjust the intonation of every note with my lip, I my ears want me to correct it.

That's most interesting. I never realised that the drone would be slightly out of tune.

I mustn't have a very good ear for intonation and all that haha! A bit worrying...

I could never get the hang of bagpipes.

I play sax & clarinet, so I'm used to the note coinciding with me blowing.

Blowing into a bag at random intervals, whilst using my elbow to trigger the sound was a coordination nightmare. I guess it just need practice... but these things are LOUD.

Playing the chanter on its own was much, much easier - kind of like playing an oboe though. It was extremely sensitive to over/under blowing - far more so than the sax from what I can remember.

But of course, there's no drone without the bag.

4 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

But of course, there's no drone without the bag.

And it's the drone that appeals to me... I like all manner of drone stuff. A sitar, for instance, that has drone stings... I can listen to that stuff all day long haha!

3 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

- - - - - -

Bayou Bill, that sounds like heaven to me, but not nearly as good as playing sax in an all-girl cabaret in New Orleans.

- - - - - -

When I was 18 I was underage but still playing in a band that did night clubs, We got a gig playing in a strip club. Mostly 12 bar blues in 12/8 time as this was right before strippers started disrobing to rock music.

It's a good thing they had us sitting down so my hormonal appreciation didn't show. ;)

The star of the show was a girl who's name I forget, but the byline was "with her million dollar wardrobe". None of which (except for pasties and g-string) stayed on throughout the show.

The dancers were quite nice to us, but the strict rule was no dating anyone who works there and absolutely no leaving with one of the customers. As an 18 year old kid, I couldn't help but dream about doing more than playing sax for them.

I thought getting paid for sax was illegal, no? 

(I'll get me coat...😀)

4 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

- - - - - -

- - - - - -

Wait,  you got paid to get a W******** :)   Luck you😉

45 minutes ago, craigb said:

I thought getting paid for sax was illegal, no? 

(I'll get me coat...😀) 

Them and the Guitar players get all the action. Us stuck behind the keyboards get no love :(  And trying a Keytar doesn't work!