Need help.

Will.

Question

Hi all. 

Need some answers; suggestions and perhaps general ideas/help. 

So, I've just started working with a group of senior members doing "classic rock." As I go through sorting and grouping certain tracks like percussions; guitars; strings and leads, an old favourable approach popped up, as I'm writing down idea's - and one them are volume ride. 

Question: With today's "modern" demands on taste and feel, do we still ride the volume up between 0.5 to 2db at the chorus with Rock? 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

2 answers to this question

Today you'd just strap an L1 over the master buss and crank it until the waveform looks like a huge square wave. ;) 

But as a serious answer, there's really no rules. For a lot of the non-metal stuff I do, I tend to find the chorus is naturally louder anyway because it's thicker with instruments. It's only really if things are getting lost that some parts may need to be cut and boosted, but that's really song-dependent. If the goal is to get it properly mastered at the end, bear in mind that anything you put on that final master (compression, stereo imaging, limiting, etc.) will also dramatically change what you do with any volume rides too so you might find that the part ends up sounding "quieter" in comparison because a volume boost makes the mastering limiter work more to rein it in.

I think the only real answer is, does it sound good to you? Does the client like it? If yes, go "yay" and call it done. :) 

• Like 1