Bandoneon VST?

mdiemer

Anyone know of a good free Bandoneon VST? I was using the one in NI Bandstand, a GM set, but they no longer support, it and after the last time I reinstalled Windows I can't get it authorized. I downloaded NI's Komplete Start last night, thinking it had one, but I must have confused Komplete Start with Kontakt Komplete. I don't need any of the other stuff so I'm going to uninstall it. what a waste of time.

I will need a Bandoneon soon, when I revise a piece that has it, which I began in sonar, finished in Reaper, and now will be revising ion CbB. Yes, TTS-1 has one, but that plug won't work on my system, and even if it did the Bandoneon is far inferior to Bandstand's. I have access to no other GM set. Bandstand was great for the odd instrument you only need now and then, but it's basically gone now. And NI did not replace it. I guess they want you to spring for Komplete.

I have tried everything I can think of to get TTS-1 working, including starting threads on it, all to no avail. I have given up on it, although it is a great little midi synth.  And yes I have tried J-Bridge. That didn't work either.  It just won't work on my system.   And that's that.

And I don't care for the Bandoneon in it anyway.  If I can't find anything I will use Dim Pros's Accordion 2, which approximates the tangy nasal sound of the  Bandoneon. but hopefully I'll find a usable one. 

I won't buy one, however. Out of all my projects, there is just one that has it. If I were a pro, I could charge the cost to the customer, write it off, etc. but I'm just an amateur. Although a very dedicated one.

Edited by mdiemer

It was my understanding Native Instruments had fixed Native Access to once again authorize these old libraries that they were planning to discontinue the authorization on.  I haven't had to try this though (all of my products were authorized before the May server shut off date on this computer).  But I thought you could authorize those discontinued products.  If it's registered in your account on the Native Instruments website you should be able to start Native Access and it will show up as not installed.  Bandstand I believe (I don't own it) will work inside Kontakt Player if you have the files (install from disc?) and an authorization.  You may not be able to use the 32-bit vst plugin though.

Here's a VI thread with some info about various other Bandoneon libraries.  Perhaps one of them would work for you?
https://vi-control.net/community/threads/best-tango-accordion-or-bandoneon.58209/

1 hour ago, Johnny Tsao said:

Does your TTS-1 also fail to load like this?

I also had this problem before. The solution was to execute Cbb once as a system administrator, and TTS-1 could be loaded smoothly. Next time you execute cbb, you don’t have to use the system administrator identity

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/8602-solved-via-cbb-update-tts-1-failing-to-load/

No, that's not the issue. It crashes as soon as I play it. I appreciate your input, but please don't turn this into a thread about TTS-1. As I said, I have given up on it. There's only so much frustration a guy can stand. at some point you have to say "enough." I am well beyond that point.

1 hour ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

It was my understanding Native Instruments had fixed Native Access to once again authorize these old libraries that they were planning to discontinue the authorization on.  I haven't had to try this though (all of my products were authorized before the May server shut off date on this computer).  But I thought you could authorize those discontinued products.  If it's registered in your account on the Native Instruments website you should be able to start Native Access and it will show up as not installed.  Bandstand I believe (I don't own it) will work inside Kontakt Player if you have the files (install from disc?) and an authorization.  You may not be able to use the 32-bit vst plugin though.

Here's a VI thread with some info about various other Bandoneon libraries.  Perhaps one of them would work for you?
https://vi-control.net/community/threads/best-tango-accordion-or-bandoneon.58209/

Thank you Matthew. Evil Dragon from NI forum told me that as well. He has been very helpful in trying to solve this problem. But, like with the TTS-1, my system seems to be misbehaving with Bandstand. I can get instruments into Kontakt, but they are invariably in Demo mode, won't save, and stop working after 30 minutes. I also tried copying the Bandstand Default folder into a new folder, and installing from there. Evil Dragon (I don't know the guy's name) said this might bypass the encoding, but, same result, it will only open in demo mode. NA has Bandstand listed as being there on my system. I suspect the issue might be with registry values, and the fact that this is the third computer I have had it on. It has worked successfully in the past, but it's like it's possessed by a demon. Along with TTS-1. Maybe I need an exorcist....right time of year, anyway.

1 hour ago, Johnny Tsao said:

I also use NI Bandstand’s GM sound library. As Matthew Sorrels said, the NKI files in the sound library can be used in Kontakt Player, but the 32-bit VSTi has a separate sound interface. After dragging it to Kontakt Player, use Standard interface module

1435593819_snapshot.thumb.png.ba0a2e8f238b06aeba8b3e74bbc21eb3.png

Thank you Johnny, that looks promising, I'll give it a shot.

4 minutes ago, mdiemer said:

It has worked successfully in the past, but it's like it's possessed by a demon. Along with TTS-1. Maybe I need an exorcist....right time of year, anyway.

I hate to be the guy to bring this up, but maybe it's time for a clean re-install of your OS? You seem to be having a lot of misbehavior with programs that should just be working for you.  Apologies in advance if that is not perceived as helpful, as intended!

1 hour ago, abacab said:

I hate to be the guy to bring this up, but maybe it's time for a clean re-install of your OS? You seem to be having a lot of misbehavior with programs that should just be working for you.  Apologies in advance if that is not perceived as helpful, as intended!

I have to wholeheartedly agree with this assessment.  Sometimes things need to be said, no matter how unpopular....

For me, TTS-1 just works... always has.

1 hour ago, abacab said:

It's not that important. The Accordion 2 in Dim Pro is almost identical to the Bandstand Bandoneon. so much so that I almost wonder if it's the same instrument. The Bandoneon sounds a bit better, but it's pretty marginal. 

5 minutes ago, Promidi said:

I have to wholeheartedly agree with this assessment.  Sometimes things need to be said, no matter how unpopular....

For me, TTS-1 just works... always has.

I'll avoid reinstalling as long as possible. There's nothing I hate more than taking two weeks to rebuild my system. At 68 (with 69 close on my trail), 2 weeks is time I need now. When I can finally catch a breather I will consider it. now is not the time. But I appreciate the suggestion.

8 hours ago, mdiemer said:

I'll avoid reinstalling as long as possible. There's nothing I hate more than taking two weeks to rebuild my system. At 68 (with 69 close on my trail), 2 weeks is time I need now. When I can finally catch a breather I will consider it. now is not the time. But I appreciate the suggestion.

When the time comes, get someone who knows what they are doing to do it for you.....

9 hours ago, mdiemer said:

There's nothing I hate more than taking two weeks to rebuild my system. At 68 (with 69 close on my trail), 2 weeks is time I need now. When I can finally catch a breather I will consider it. now is not the time. But I appreciate the suggestion.

Yes, I agree, and sympathize. I'm only running a few years behind you! Last time I rebuilt Windows from scratch was 4 years ago. Took me about two weeks to re-install and authorize everything. No fun at all!

But nothing like a fresh install feeling with all of the loose ends built up internally over the years swept away. I wouldn't do it just for TTS-1 either, but if the system stability is in question and affecting more than one application, then it's something to seriously consider.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Alan Bachman said:

I believe Motu Ethno Instrument and I believe it has it in their sample library.   I have found some really good sounds in it.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Thanks also for responding to the actual topic of this thread, which is about Bandoneon VST's,  not reinstalling Windows. And thanks too for not being insulting.