A few Piano Roll View questions?

yeto

Question

In the piano roll view "notes pane" is it possible to show the notes with shapes versus flats? I searched Cakewalk documentation but could not find out how to make this change.

Also, I have "show clip outlines" selected but my clips are not outlined in the piano roll view pane. Can some share as to what I am doing wrong or maybe could provide a photo as to what this would look like?   

Thank you in advance for any help,

yeto

Piano Roll View.PNG

18 answers to this question

14 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Whether it shows sharps or flats seems to depend on the current key (ALT + SHIFT + 6).

I tried most of the keys and unless I am doing something wrong they all show the same notes. (Db, Eb, F#, G# and Bb) I wish there was some way to change the Db, Eb and Bb to sharps.

We may be talking about two different things. I am referring to the notes that show on the piano roll keyboard when I move my mouse around in piano roll.

Thank you for trying to help,

yeto

Edited by yeto

I can't see a change in either Tungsten or Mercury related to the background. The notes change color but not the background. Can you share a photo that shows what it should look like?

Thank you,

yeto

clip outline photo.PNG

31 minutes ago, scook said:

two clips in the PRV with "Show Clip Outlines" enabled using Mercury Theme

e6vw499.png

As usual, it takes me longer than everyone else to "get it". If I now understand correctly, all "clips" are highlighted not just the "one" where you are making changes. I wish there was someway to highlight just the one clip you are working on in piano roll like how track view highlights the one clip.

Sorry to roll up this old tread again, but that's exactly what I've been looking for hours on the internet and the documentation.

On 3/6/2019 at 5:14 PM, yeto said:

I wish there was someway to highlight just the one clip you are working on in piano roll like how track view highlights the one clip.

Is there any way in the PRV to see just the one clip that is being worked on?

Because there are too many informations wich confusing me when the entire song is displayed.

That's too bad. Maybe the developers can perceive it as a feature request.

The same goes for the "groove clip looping" so that you only see bars that are looped and not all of them. And as a small improvement, it should be noted that if you change the bar, the looped ones don't take over. It is only adopted when you draw the loop again.loop.gif.d926cf4bdb0e07ed4f62c4a4df703275.gif

EDIT:

Cakealk is a great DAW, the Pro channel is awesome, the VST3 support and also the 32bit VST support are a huge strength. But without the clip and the loop feature, I unfortunately have to continue doing my arrangement in Ableton and then do a stems export and then do the mixing and mastering in Cakewalk.
With these 2 features, Cakewalk would be the perfect DAW for everyone. For those who record a whole band or an orchestra and also for those who want to do EDM or HipHop on the PC.

Edited by Hans Sepp

18 hours ago, tecknot said:

There is no way to show just one clip at a time in the PRV other than zoom settings, perhaps.

Here's one way to do it.

1) Check "Hide Muted Clips".  This can be done in either Track View, or in PRV (see images)

2) In Track View, Mute the clips you DON'T want to see in PRV.

That's it.

Tip: You might not need to Mute ALL the clips, just perhaps the neighboring ones.

a.jpg

b.jpg

11 hours ago, Hans Sepp said:

That's too bad. Maybe the developers can perceive it as a feature request.

The same goes for the "groove clip looping" so that you only see bars that are looped and not all of them. And as a small improvement, it should be noted that if you change the bar, the looped ones don't take over. It is only adopted when you draw the loop again.loop.gif.d926cf4bdb0e07ed4f62c4a4df703275.gif

EDIT:

Cakealk is a great DAW, the Pro channel is awesome, the VST3 support and also the 32bit VST support are a huge strength. But without the clip and the loop feature, I unfortunately have to continue doing my arrangement live in Ableton and then do a stamp export and then do the mixing and mastering in Cakewalk.
With these 2 features, Cakewalk would be the perfect DAW for everyone. For those who record a whole band or an orchestra and also for those who want to do EDM or HipHop on the PC.

If you want to see clip borders clearly in the PRV you can if you change the clip´s background color. That shows in the PRV. If you are using Tungsten, clip´s default background color is about the same as the PRV background, that is why you cannot see it. What you can not do at the moment is hiding the other clips.

Your problem with looped clips is a matter of design. In CbB you can roll a groove clip across a few bars and edit some bars without changing all the repetitions. That is very useful if you want to make variations. If you want to change all of them you need to do what you show in your animation, that BTW can be done faster if you hit CTL-L to unloop it and then again to loop it ,  and then roll it out again. Not a big deal for me, but of course to each their own.

If you do not want to do that, you have other option, that is using linked clips. Linked clips will reflect any change that you make in one of them, and you do not need to have them one after the other, not even in the same track.

On 1/18/2021 at 3:01 AM, Hans Sepp said:

Sorry to roll up this old tread again, but that's exactly what I've been looking for hours on the internet and the documentation.

Is there any way in the PRV to see just the one clip that is being worked on?

Because there are too many informations wich confusing me when the entire song is displayed.

I don't know if you will have the same behavior as my machine, but as soon as I open a New PRV, it only shows the track I selected.
As soon as I try to change it to another track, the first track is ghosted and the second track is promoted, and so on as many tracks as I use.
But, if I close the PRV completely, I can open another single-view instance.

15 hours ago, tparker24 said:

Here's one way to do it.

1) Check "Hide Muted Clips".  This can be done in either Track View, or in PRV (see images)

2) In Track View, Mute the clips you DON'T want to see in PRV.

That's it.

Tip: You might not need to Mute ALL the clips, just perhaps the neighboring ones.

It looks like that's the only way.
But to mute the neighboring clips every time just because I want to watch my clip is too cumbersome for me.

12 hours ago, JoseC said:

If you do not want to do that, you have other option, that is using linked clips. Linked clips will reflect any change that you make in one of them, and you do not need to have them one after the other, not even in the same track.

I didn't know that before. But that the groove loop behaves the way it does, is not very intuitive in my opinion. I'm used to it differently from Ableton.

Thanks for the help, but I think I'll stay with Ableton for the arrangement for the time being. But I really like CbB for mixing and mastering. I will try to include CbB more in my workflow in the future. I'd like to do everything in one DAW, but maybe it's better to use the respective program for the tasks for which it has its strengths. If you do a Multitrack / Stems export in one DAW (e.g. Ableton)  and the mixing it in another DAW (e.g. Cakewalk), you are less tempted to constantly change something in the arrangement (volume automations etc.). I think it's not that bad to use different programs, even if I've always wanted the ONE perfect solution.

As a small suggestion for the developers. I saw that it is solved in Bitwig Studio as follows:

Pianoroll-bitwig.png.bb4198ce620e64a5b96c06546df841f7.png

You can decide whether the PRV should display the clip or the entire track.

EDIT:

I have now tried this new workflow and I run into another problem. Ableton Live Lite (which was included with my midikayboard) limits me to 16 audio and MIDI tracks, and that’s any combination meaning that you can only have 16 tracks total. So far I have always used the drum-rack for the drums and that's kind of one midi track that you can fold out for mixing. But if I want to export it as multitrack, I need the drums in separate tracks. So far I've always needed 8-10 midi tracks and 4-6 audio tracks for the vocals, now I need more than 16 tracks. I would like to stay with Ableton but some things are just frustrating for example, gain staging or that it doesn't have a real peak/RMS meter or routing up for parallel processing. Seems I have to keep looking for another solution or maybe I try to do the vocal recording also in Cakewalk and than 16 midi tracks should be enough.

Edited by Hans Sepp

On 1/20/2021 at 3:32 AM, Hans Sepp said:

It looks like that's the only way.
But to mute the neighboring clips every time just because I want to watch my clip is too cumbersome for me.

I didn't know that before. But that the groove loop behaves the way it does, is not very intuitive in my opinion. I'm used to it differently from Ableton.

Thanks for the help, but I think I'll stay with Ableton for the arrangement for the time being. But I really like CbB for mixing and mastering. I will try to include CbB more in my workflow in the future. I'd like to do everything in one DAW, but maybe it's better to use the respective program for the tasks for which it has its strengths. If you do a Multitrack / Stems export in one DAW (e.g. Ableton)  and the mixing it in another DAW (e.g. Cakewalk), you are less tempted to constantly change something in the arrangement (volume automations etc.). I think it's not that bad to use different programs, even if I've always wanted the ONE perfect solution.

As a small suggestion for the developers. I saw that it is solved in Bitwig Studio as follows:

Pianoroll-bitwig.png.bb4198ce620e64a5b96c06546df841f7.png

You can decide whether the PRV should display the clip or the entire track.

EDIT:

I have now tried this new workflow and I run into another problem. Ableton Live Lite (which was included with my midikayboard) limits me to 16 audio and MIDI tracks, and that’s any combination meaning that you can only have 16 tracks total. So far I have always used the drum-rack for the drums and that's kind of one midi track that you can fold out for mixing. But if I want to export it as multitrack, I need the drums in separate tracks. So far I've always needed 8-10 midi tracks and 4-6 audio tracks for the vocals, now I need more than 16 tracks. I would like to stay with Ableton but some things are just frustrating for example, gain staging or that it doesn't have a real peak/RMS meter or routing up for parallel processing. Seems I have to keep looking for another solution or maybe I try to do the vocal recording also in Cakewalk and than 16 midi tracks should be enough.

Hi Hans, I think in the same way about the piano roll in Cakewalk, Ableton and Bitwig are better in that, I answer only to follow the post in case there is a solution in the future haha.