Read Automatic slash?

Terry Kelley

A friend sent me a bundle and it has something I've never seen before. The R for Read Automation is grayed out and it has a slash (on all tracks.) I can add automation and it reads it but I've never seen the grayed out R with the slash. Toggling it just changes the density of the gray.

Any idea what this means? (Beside, yeah, ya didn't read the manual did you? Admit it!)

Edited by Terry Kelley

33 minutes ago, Terry Kelley said:

A friend sent me a bundle and it has something I've never seen before. The R for Read Automation is grayed out and it has a slash (on all tracks.) I can add automation and it reads it but I've never seen the grayed out R with the slash. Toggling it just changes the density of the gray.

Any idea what this means? (Beside, yeah, ya didn't read the manual did you? Admit it!)

Actually, I looked up "automation" in the most recent Theme Editing Guide (v.2020.10.13) rather than the Reference Manual.  Do the buttons on page 24 look like what you are seeing?

Edited by User 905133
changed page 23 to page 24; its on page 23 in an earlier version

From p. 1650 of The Cakewalk Reference Guide:

"Read Automation and Write Automation buttons are fully colored when they affect the entire channel strip. If only a subset of the
channel strip’s controls are affected, the Read Automation button and Write Automation buttons are only partially colored."

I found this by searching for "read automation."

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 1

A subset of controls .... hmmmm

I've only seen blue for Automation Read. I've never seen it gray or with a slash and the documentation doesn't explain how to even get that to happen. This is the first time I've seen it.

I wonder if it has something to so with some controller he has. Frankly, I don't think he knows what caused this.

Edited by Terry Kelley