Typical Boot up time for Cakewalk

Bassfaceus

Hi all..

unless im mistaken the old Sonar used to boot up my projects quicker than  Cakewalk BB

now a typical project approx 24 tracks  maybe eq comp on most tracks /one or 2 delay/ rev busses

Takes at least 45 sec

intel i7 860  samsung ssd  16gig ram..(same system i had when using sonar)

what are some your boot up times?

It depends on the project. For me, most of my projects start from my own template, which has a ton of plugins already in place ready to use. My default template without any audio data opens in about 30 secs. With audio data, say 20 - 30 tracks, maybe 45 seconds as you say. However, if I open up one of the default blank Cakewalk templates, for example "16 Track 4 Bus Console (S-type)", that will open in about 3 seconds. So it all depends.

On a typical 32 track, mine takes about 10sec with my own template with the plugins bypassed - that's how I saved it. 

Keep in mind though, your anti-virus software also play a small part in this. It does a quick check before the program opens -- and runs a scan while the projects loads, slowing down the DAW's project scan.

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Like 1

The program loads in 10 seconds for me but I have the startup screen disabled.

The time to open a project depends on the size of the progect and the number and type of Vst effects and instruments being loaded.  FOr me the average is 20-30 seconds to load a project.

• Like 1

thanks for the replies..

i wonder if any of you can be bothered opening the default 16track template and time that.

its  one of the  templates  we all have access to. 

i know sys specs will have something to do with it

but if we all open the same thing and time it maybe we can have a ball park comparison?

for me with Cakewalk at the start screen its 17sec until i can hit play..

what ive noticed is the most time consuming phase for all my projects is the "creating UI" step

Opening 16-track.cwt from Windows Explorer takes about 4 seconds (includes running the VST scanner in the background)

The template is on a spinning HD, the program is on an SSD

The PC uses Win10 Home and an i7-4790 running at 4GHz

Windows Defender is running with CbB excluded.

4 hours ago, Bassfaceus said:

cakewalk BB is pausing at "creating UI" so is it something with WIN 10

and the way its handling my graphics?

Try to keep your system smooth. You can try some of these steps below. 

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/16404-solving-known-issues-please-try-this/

Remember, your system needs to be treated just like your car - it needs to be serviced. Every 3 months, I'd clean my fans, CPU fan and rams - also check my CPU if it needs more Thermal Paste. 

Under 2 seconds here for the CbB 16 track template.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (6 core/12 threads), stock speed (3.4GHz, but it boosts itself to ~3.75GHz all the time), 32GB RAM, NVMe Windows/application disk, SSD (Samsung 860 EVO 250GB) data drive, 2GB nVidia GT 1030 video card.  So nothing that special (for 2020!).

Windows Defender realtime scanning disabled completely.

CbB 16-track template in <2 secs (I did wait for the initial plug-in scan to finish on first CbB launch prior to testing). <5 secs to load CbB and open the 16-track template from double clicking the template shortcut in one step.

• Intel i5-9600K 6 cores locked at 4.6GHz on Asus Prime Z390-A motherboard.
  • Intel integrated UHD graphics 630
  • RAM 16GB DDR4 at 2666 MHz XMP.
  • SSD Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SATA 6 Gb/s, benchmark sequential read 555 MB/s.
  • Avira Pro AV real-time scanning active.
  • Windows 10 Pro 2004
Edited by abacab

I discovered a while back that if CbB's Media Browser is defaulting to a path that includes large .ZIP files (even upstream of the directory to which its pointing), it can slow the program launch. If this is the cause in your case, you may need to move those archive files to a different path or change where Media Browser is looking for content.

• Like 1