Vocal FX advice

acewhistle

Question

Hello peepz,

Just starting to mix a song that I have tediously fixed for almost 2 days to get all vocals in sync and in time with the beat. 

Complete newbie if you are wondering why it took me a long time so if anyone has got advice how to get a group of vocals in sync in less time, I'm all ears :)

Anyway, as you can see from the pic attached, not sure if what I am doing is correct. I've setup some VX-64 and Gsnap to make the vocals sound dynamic and make it clean.

But going through some tutorial via Youtube and in here, I am not getting enough info on what to do with vocals cleanup and making them sound professional.

One thing I picked up from watching Youtube is that I need to create busses for FX so that it will be shared for the group I want to apply it to.

Is that correct? Kinda stuck now really after spending for almost a week just trying to figure what I'm suppose to do so can anyone kindly share your ideas and FX setup on how to achieve this pls.

Many thanks for your patience and effort as I slowly build up my mixing skills and knowledge.

Vox fx.JPG

7 answers to this question

I don't see anything wrong with the way you have audio tracks containing vocals with  fx in their fx bins. Like you say you can also make a bus or busses and route the vocals to the bus and put fx there. Either way will work, it might depend on what your goals are. If I want to align various things on different tracks, I use melodyne to do that, I have studio version 5. The subject of making vocals sound clean and professional is very broad starting with recording the vocals and then everything you do to them after that. Maybe you could explain what it is that you think is wrong with them, how are they not sounding clean and professional to you as is? Clean and professional are a little broad for commenting on how to improve so more details might help you get answers on here.  I think it is common to use reverb, delay, compression,  eq, chorus maybe as fx on vocals to improve how they sound to taste. It does take time to learn stuff so just keep at it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treesha said:

I don't see anything wrong with the way you have audio tracks containing vocals with  fx in their fx bins. Like you say you can also make a bus or busses and route the vocals to the bus and put fx there. Either way will work, it might depend on what your goals are. If I want to align various things on different tracks, I use melodyne to do that, I have studio version 5. The subject of making vocals sound clean and professional is very broad starting with recording the vocals and then everything you do to them after that. Maybe you could explain what it is that you think is wrong with them, how are they not sounding clean and professional to you as is? Clean and professional are a little broad for commenting on how to improve so more details might help you get answers on here.  I think it is common to use reverb, delay, compression,  eq, chorus maybe as fx on vocals to improve how they sound to taste. It does take time to learn stuff so just keep at it.

Hi Treesha,

Many thanks for your encouraging word :)

To be honest, I am still at the stage where I don't know if my understanding is correct so I am hoping to see other people's project on how they mix from voices, instrument, fx, and etc just to give me more ideas on how to improve my knowledge.

I think making it sound professional at this time sounds far fetch at my current level so just thinking of making it sound clear and crisp to begin with. So that's my target first before moving to the next stuff :)

Do you have in depth tutorial or blog I can learn from you?

No ha i am always learning myself and self taught via youtube and forum reading and  videos and experimenting. First start with how the raw recording sounds. Does it sound clear? What does the meter show you. If it is too hot or distorted you have to fix that first. Redo. Do you like the way the mic sounds?  Is the room too reverberant? I dont know what fx you have, since i got some ozone izotope stuff i have been using those on my vocals. And scheps omni channel before that. I dont know what gsnap is. I use melodyne a lot to pitch correct and phrase adjust. But first you need a recording as good as you can to start. What example of vocals is like what you want to sound like? Maybe see how the mix or master achieved that. What style? Maybe google vocals for that type music for suggestions. Its a very broad and rich topic. If you post something you are working on in the song forum you can get suggestions and feedback on your mix. Lots if experienced ppl on this forum. Have fun 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, treesha said:

No ha i am always learning myself and self taught via youtube and forum reading and  videos and experimenting. First start with how the raw recording sounds. Does it sound clear? What does the meter show you. If it is too hot or distorted you have to fix that first. Redo. Do you like the way the mic sounds?  Is the room too reverberant? I dont know what fx you have, since i got some ozone izotope stuff i have been using those on my vocals. And scheps omni channel before that. I dont know what gsnap is. I use melodyne a lot to pitch correct and phrase adjust. But first you need a recording as good as you can to start. What example of vocals is like what you want to sound like? Maybe see how the mix or master achieved that. What style? Maybe google vocals for that type music for suggestions. Its a very broad and rich topic. If you post something you are working on in the song forum you can get suggestions and feedback on your mix. Lots if experienced ppl on this forum. Have fun 

Hi Treesha,

Gsnap is a free VST for pitch correction for vocals that I learned from one of the Youtube videos I watched and can't remember who was it from. Anyway the link is, https://www.gvst.co.uk/gsnap.htm

Don't want to pay commercial stuff first until I get the hang of what each VSTs capabilities are till I fully understood how it can help with the  mixing process :)

Many thanks for the support :)

Thank you very much for all of your wonderful support here.

I wouldn't have learned it if it wasn't from all your suggestions and advice.

Really appreciate for your time helping out a newbie like me.

Many thanks all :)

Edited by acewhistle
grammar