Home & Love

Jerry Gerber

1 hour ago, bjornpdx said:

Yeah, very nice tune for your daughter's wedding.
I was reading the poem without the music and wondering how I would have fit the words in a song. Did you write the melodic part for the singer or did she improvise it?

-Bjorn

Thank you Bjorn.   I wrote the melody, no improv in this piece.   I wrote it in two keys and let the singer choose which key is best for her range and gave her the written score and the vocal part.

Best,

Jerry

HI Jerry... well done.
To me...  little medieval with a touch of Disney!!
Female vocal was really good...
I think   (just my opinion) with a male vocal added also would really make the song hit the top shelf.

Seriously well done mate... a composition to be proud off.

1 hour ago, garybrun said:

HI Jerry... well done.
To me...  little medieval with a touch of Disney!!
Female vocal was really good...
I think   (just my opinion) with a male vocal added also would really make the song hit the top shelf.

Seriously well done mate... a composition to be proud off.

Thanks Gary..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I just remixed this song to better balance the voice with the music.  Kira has such a wide dynamic range that I had to use many volume envelope (fader) changes to make sure every word and syllable came through clearly.   I think this new version is an improvement..

Thanks for listening, stay safe.

PLAY

Jerry

www.jerrygerber.com

55 minutes ago, David Sprouse said:

Wow, I couldn' choose one singer over the other either! :D   Lovely song.  Would you say this is through-composed?   Reminded me of how Sondheim lets the words take primacy over form at times.   

I don't think I would call it through-composed.  The music obediently follows the form of the poem.  Seems more like 3-part song form.