Console Emulation

sadicus

About to mix a song and thought I find out here at the forum about Console Emulation and how best to use it.

1. Since there are both Bus and Channel If you have it on a channel would you also want it on the bus? 
  2. do you calculate the amount of channels and do Drive fractions that add up to (1)?
    CHNL 1 Drive = .5
    CHNL 2 Drive = .5

Open to any suggestions from anyone that has Console Emulation workflow.
Not sure if it matters but the recording setup is:

48hz / 24 bit no dithering (Dithering is added when doing the Mastering in Ozone 6)

Hi Sadicus,

I think the recommendation is to use this feature on a "More Is More" basis,as the advantage is stated to be cumulative,so the higher number of channel strips the emulation is used on,the more noticeable the effect.

I've personally never determined a quantitative effect in terms of the relative settings,however there should be a noticeable effect on the overall sound of your mix if you change the emulation model,so there is probably some subtle EQ movement taking place under the hood.

I only have a low-spec machine,so I'm limited anyway in terms of real-time effects and use track freezing to the fore.I'd give a try on all channels,buses and master,and then change the emulation model and see if you can see a difference.There is some CPU impact if used across a large project,I think track freezing should help here.

Regards,

Neil

• Thanks 1