Audio Plugin Deals

APD Offer: 79% Off Dicky Deegan's Uilleann Pipes by Xtant Audio

Dicky Deegan’s Uilleann Pipes by Xtant Audio is a beautifully sampled bagpipe library for Kontakt Full. Dicky Deegan is a well known bagpiper (he frequently plays with film director/producer Guy Richie of Sherlock Holmes 1 & 2, and Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels fame, and actor Jude law) as Dicky is one of the original embers of Guy Richie’s Punchbowl Band. Check out the video below to hear the instrument in action!

Dicky has teamed with Xtant Audio to release this authentic library of Uilleann Pipes, a common type of bagpipe (often called union pipes or Irish pipes). Uilleann is the Irish word for elbow, and Uilleann Pipes translates to “pipe of the elbow”, due to the bellows being inflated by the player using their elbow. They have a more warm and sweet tone than Scottish bagpipes, and also have a wider range for playing melodies. 

This library has 5 separate .nki files, including two sets of pipes in the key of D and C#, and each instrument includes drones (deep droning notes in one key/pitch), regulators (which allow the player to create chords by opening keys on the instrument), and the chanter (the main source for the melody and the highest pitched notes), which are all mapped across the keyboard. Each section is controllable with their own volume knob so you can mix it just the way you want it. Here are some audio demos below.

KEY FEATURES

• Full set of uilleann pipes in both C# and D
  • Extended regulator range with the addition of the double bass regulator
  • Bellows & bag sound fx patch
  • Three mic positions
  • Independent volume control over the three different parts of the instrument – drones, regulators, chanter
  • Formant correct playable glides/sliders/glissandos
  • Velocity sensitive drones can be turned on or off like the real instrument
  • Polyphonic regulators for playing chords
  • Smooth legato when playing melodies on the chanter
  • Velocity controlled on knee/off knee playing
  • Legato retrigger enabled real time performance of trills and other ornaments
  • Requires the full retail version of Kontakt

Buy Dicky Deegan's Uilleann Pipes

(promo expires on October 27th, 2020)

• Like 2

I picked this up last night for the base price. It has a lot of potential but will need a bit of effort to learn the ins and outs required to get an authentic sound.  It certainly looks more capable than anything else I have come across.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. Been looking for a good bagpipe vst. Does it sound authentic enough?

2 hours ago, Fleer said:

Thanks. Been looking for a good bagpipe vst. Does it sound authentic enough?

A lot will come down to how its played, I think it has the potential to sound very authentic. Bear in mind these are Uilleann Pipes (Irish) and significantly more complex than Scottish pipes with quite a different sound.  Knowing how to use the drones, regulators and chanter will be critical and although I am familiar with the sound of the instrument I will need to study a bit to get it sound authentic.

• Like 1

Thank you. Sounds good. I’m a flute (traverso) player and I’ve always been drawn to Irish instruments. Even the Bodhran. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 4:59 PM, Fleer said:

Thank you. Sounds good. I’m a flute (traverso) player and I’ve always been drawn to Irish instruments. Even the Bodhran. 

Lots more here where that one came from:

https://xtant-audio.com/

Look under Products /virtual-instruments/world-ethnic/

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Thanks 2

Bought this .. but of course I would, being from Ireland, living near Cork City at heart of a trad area :D

One of the top UILLEANN Pipe players here is DAVY SPILLANE. Here are some vids .. watch closely for tips :D

This one is Beautiful, really nice ariel camera work of Ireland with davy on Uilleann .. that starts around 3.14min in

This one then is him with the most amazing band MOVING HEARTS, i advice you go look for these guys on Spotify, Youtube .. what musicians

• Like 2

Great videos, Aiden!  I always catch the Transatlantic Sessions bands when they come round, Jerry Douyglas, Aly Bain, et al, and including Michael McGoldrick on Uilleann Pipes, watching for tips to transfer to vst!  I got Dicky Deegan's pipes a few months ago and they're a beautiful sound although I haven't really dealt with the shake ornament with the same degree I can on the Kontakt factory pipes, but Deegan's are clearly worth working on.

If you're into Celtic music, don't miss this offer.

• Like 1

As we are on the subject of Uilleann pipes and Irish music .. CHECK OUT THESE GUYS - AFRO CELT SOUNDSYSTEM. Concert from 2014, unreal musicians

• Like 1