Klevgränd skaka

Joakim

Klevgränd Skaka shaker instrument with 50% intro ($24.99)

Skaka is a sample-based sequencer plugin for shaker percussion instruments. It has 12 slots, each with its own instrument, parameters (lots of them!) and pattern. We've built both the sequencer and the sampler from the ground, to optimize this instrument for these types of sounds. Each pattern contains events, with individual parameters like pitch, velocity (as in how fast the instrument is shaken), and envelope.

With full control over shuffle/swing amount, an advanced humanizer function, internal awareness of in- and out shakes (yes, they sound different), using grids divided into triplets/quintuplets/septuplets, timing fine-tuning and variable sequence lengths, Skaka can get very close to how a human percussionist would sound in almost any tempo without any use of degrading time stretching or similar techniques.

https://klevgrand.se/products/skaka

ui_skaka@2x.jpg

Skaka = shake in Swedish 😉

Edited by Joakim
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tom said:

Been meaning to get Shimmer Shake Strike for ever but price put me off, maybe I’ll go for this!

I now have both and while Shimmer is great Skaka is simpler to use, mostly because Kontakt is a clunky platform from an interface perspective.

The built-in sequencer is more flexible and powerful than Shimmer Shake, so the only real advantage is the larger library that comes with the latter. 

One thing that put me off slightly was that you can´t combine single shots with shaken sounds in the same cell, but you have 12 cells at your disposal so it´s not a big deal.

Both get the job done anyway, but at $24.99 you can´t go wrong with this. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Joakim Lundberg said:

I now have both and while Shimmer is great Skaka is simpler to use, mostly because Kontakt is a clunky platform from an interface perspective.

The built-in sequencer is more flexible and powerful than Shimmer Shake, so the only real advantage is the larger library that comes with the latter. 

One thing that put me off slightly was that you can´t combine single shots with shaken sounds in the same cell, but you have 12 cells at your disposal so it´s not a big deal.

Both get the job done anyway, but at $24.99 you can´t go wrong with this. 

Just demoed and yeah Skaka does everything I want. Thanks for the info, purchasing!

Edited by tom
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, tom said:

Been meaning to get Shimmer Shake Strike for ever but price put me off, maybe I’ll go for this!

I did a side-by-side comparison just last night, after a friend turned me onto Skaka. I had a project that needed some simple percussion, just shakers and tambourine

Shimmer Shake Strike has been my go-to for hand percussion since it came out, but it's a quirky beast that often requires an inordinate amount of tweaking before it does what I want it to do. I thought Skaka might be a simpler quick-n-dirty alternative.

Well, it is and it isn't.

Skaka is indeed pretty simple to use and cheaper - way cheaper if you count SSS's Kontakt prerequisite. But there is always a price for simplicity. The two products are not interchangeable; their only real similarity is that they both do sequenced hand percussion. SSS has better-sounding samples, many more instruments, finer control, more rhythmic variation and more automation options. But Skaka is slightly quicker to set up and supports up to 12 instruments at once (SSS does only 3 at once).

In the end I decided Skaka wasn't a waste of $25 and threw it into the toolbox along with the dozen other hand-percussion instruments I've collected over the years. But in my comparison test, SSS was the clear winner and that's the one that will stay in the song. 

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

This Ting  is also cool.  My kind of ting.

And ting = stuff in Swedish 🙂

Love that ting one too, so simple to add some rhythmic spice and interest 

Edited by Joakim
Added comment

This instrument could be so much more versatile if there was a way to either import or reference external samples. Unfortunately, the samples are baked into the DLL, so that's not going to be possible under its current design. That seems to be its biggest limitation: a measly 8 instruments to choose from (and none of them are a cowbell!).

• Like 1