DCO-106 UPDATE WARNING (not a deal)

ZincT

There is an update available in DCO-106 this morning (1.0.13 to 1.0.17) BUT...

It offers to update within the UI - FOR NOW DO NOT DO IT!!!

What it did for me was to update DCO-106 AND DELETE all the other VST2s (and subfolders) in my VST64 folder.

I have been slowly installing things on my new system since around late July / early August so this is a bit of a nasty bug for me!

The same thing happened to others over on the KVR forum so it's not just my setup. You have been warned.

Fortunately, I have a backup from about a week ago but also found that the excellent and free version of Recuva seems to have found and recovered a lot of the files (not the subfolders). Just remember not to write anything before running Recuva to the drive if this warning is too late for you (portable version is best as you can run it from a usb drive).

Edited by ZincT
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, simon said:

wow - that's pretty disastrous 

Indeed! Ironically it even deleted the Voltage Modular plugins 😵

7 minutes ago, chris.r said:

Say whaaaat?! Really, what going wrong with this programming of today...

Thanks for the warning, Zinc. Did you update in the plugin or standalone?

I updated from within the plugin. I can't understand how this bug got out.  I even like how their VM stuff auto updates (must remember to turn that feature off).

Incidentally all VST3s were left alone (as they are in a different folder). It's also the first time I was happy about forgetting to reset the default Waves plugins folder as they were all left untouched :) 

Edited by ZincT

6 minutes ago, ZincT said:

I updated from within the plugin. I can't understand how this bug got out.  I even like how their VM stuff auto updates (must remember to turn that feature off).

I bet it's a fairly simple typo in the code.  It's trying to quietly delete the old plug from the vst2 folder and deletes the entire contents of the folder instead.  That kinda thing gives me nightmares......pretty inadequate beta testing ! 

• Like 1

I just checked and my VST2 installed into separate folder, guess I left the default path untouched when installing. Theoretically I should be safe, but no, I'll wait until this gets confirmed being safe to update.

Edited by chris.r
  • Great Idea 1

I have a habit to let the installers run through their paces in a sandbox first and see what kind of mess they do on my disk. As an example the installation path folder can be the a folder where developer pours out all of their library dlls and all sort of config files for one developer and puts another subfolder with a single dll plugin in it for another, you can only try guessing what an installation folder means for them.

But with this, new to me, updating from within the gui I'm vulnerable again.

Edited by chris.r