Midi over Bluetooth, Yamaha YDS-150 Digital Saxophone

twelvetone

I'm into my wind synths and Yamaha have just announced the new YDS-150 Digital Saxophone.

I downloaded the manual and was surprised to find midi only ever mentioned once, in connection with Bluetooth.

Under Specs they say: Bluetooth version 4.2, supports profile A2DP, complies with Bluetooth Low Energy MIDI Specification, Wireless output Bluetooth Class 2, 10m Max, 2.402-2.480MHz, Max out EIRP 4dB, FHSS modulation.

There is a mini usb but that is for powering the unit only - not for Midi.

So I looked up Bluetooth Midi and it would appear there are different standards.

Yamaha themselves have a Bluetooth midi device (Yamaha MD-BT01 Bluetooth MIDI Adaptor). It is two DIN jacks connected by a short wire. It draws power from the Midi out itself.

But the product description says it is intended for iOS. Are there Bluetooth standards that apply to iOS only?

Will I even need such an adapter? Is the Bluetooth in my laptop not enough? Is it the right standard? Will I need a special driver so CbBl sees it?

I thought I knew midi, but I feel like I'm starting school all over again.

IIRC you need to set your MIDI driver mode to UWP to use Bluetooth MIDI in CbB.

This certainly works with my Korg nanoKONTROL Studio in Bluetooth mode, but it doesn't play well with my other MIDI interfaces (midisport 8x8 / midiface 8x8), so I use the wired connection with MME.

Windows has built in Bluetooth MIDI support (no custom drivers supported) and Cbb supports it via the UWP MIDI driver mode.
I don't know anything about this Yamaha device, but some vendors also release custom MME drivers that support bluetooth. You can talk to Yamaha support and ask about that. The bluetooth UWP MIDI stuff works pretty well, I used it in a very crowded space for a demo at the Microsoft build conference with Pete Brown (thousands of people with bluetooth on phones and other devices) and was surprised that it stood up even at a range of about 20 feet away. 

Let us know how it works out if you do get the Yamaha interface.

Hi Noel, yes I'll do that.

The device has only recently been announced and there's not even a formal Midi support table in the downloads.

I expect the information is just not complete yet.

Thanks very much for that link, been looking for it for quite a while.