Ableton Live 10 Lite FREE

Abstract

Just now, paulo said:

Also, popularity is always dependant upon who you ask and not necessarily a reflection of how good something actually is.

Agreed. But the best thing about DAW popularity is the number of quality tutorials and dedicated hardware controllers that seems to follow the market share...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, abacab said:

They speculate that WASAPI may not meet Ableton's standards for latency.

I guess that would be as opposed to MME/DirectX, which is supported, or ASIO4ALL, which is suggested in an onscreen tutorial within the program itself.

I see where a couple of people chime in with how poorly WASAPI performs on their systems. Probably as long as there have been standards and commercial software, there have been users who defend their favorite programs' failure to support a technology by saying that the technology is crappy anyway.

Latency with Cakewalk and WASAPI is just fine on my 10-year-old Dell notebook. Given the number of Ableton Live users who use the program on their laptops with no external interface, it seems like a big omission. It won't keep me from using it, it's just a pain and a WTF from an otherwise cool, really well-put-together program.

It's probably something as mundane as their engineering department not wanting to bother with implementing it (although it's not as if there aren't canned libraries and sample code), their QA team not wanting to test it, and their helpdesk not wanting  to support it. The company culture may play favorites with which OS platform gets the attention.

Edited by Starship Krupa

Programs using the WASAPI through the "new" Windows 10 Audio Engine, should work just fine, in regards to latency.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/audio/windows-threshold--what-s-new-for-audio

"In Windows 10 work was done to reduce the latency in the OS. Without any driver changes, applications in Windows 10 will experience 4.5-16ms lower latency. In addition, if the driver has been updated to take advantage of the new low latency DDIs that use small buffers to process audio data, then the latency will be reduced even more. If a driver supports 3ms audio buffers, then the roundtrip latency is ~10ms."

• Like 2

14 hours ago, abacab said:

....the best thing about DAW popularity is the number of quality tutorials and dedicated hardware controllers that seems to follow the market share...

Unfortunately true, and really the only drawback I see to the BandLab lean and mean development freeware era. There is no longer a Cakewalk, Inc. with a staff of people to handle bundling deals with hardware and software companies, as well as doing things like encouraging use in educational institutions.

Not that I would want it to go back, but it is a negative side to SONAR withdrawing from the payware world. We'll always think that BandLab could be doing more to push our favorite DAW, but that just doesn't seem to be their style. I'm happy that it even exists and is being developed with greater attention to excellence.

Every time I work in another of the DAW's I have (Mixcraft, Reason, Logic Pro X, Garageband, and now Ableton Live), I appreciate what a good thing we have in Cakewalk. I get exasperated by things like the kluge-a-rama that is setting up drum maps, but it's a....cakewalk compared to the klutziness of trying to make a comp track in Ableton Live, and the last time I tried Logic, it locked up trying to load a Meldaproduction plug-in.