Project loading hang

Brian Sheen

I'm still trying to find an answer to this relatively common issue. When opening a project it is hanging up at the Creating UI notification. All projects seem to open in safe mode fast. But not in normal mode. Even the CbB templates are getting stuck, and I haven't added anything to them. No VSTs nothing. Just the template file. When I opened a file in safe mode and selected "no" option to load Groove player it loaded up fast. I thought...that's it. So I closed it then tried opening it in safe mode, only choosing yes to load groove player. Mind you this is project that I had one audio track recorded, nothing else. So I'm assuming groove player is preloaded? Anyway. It loaded fast even when choosing yes. I then tried to load in normal mode and it hung up again at the Creating UI notification.

Apologize for the bit of ramble....

If it opens fine in safe mode but not otherwise, it seems that would be plug-in related. You can try a few things.

1. First, the easiest, most obvious but also maybe not likely...make sure there's no hidden splash screen from a plug-in that wants to be authorized or updated or whatever. Check the Taskbar to see if anything is asking for attention.

2. After opening in Safe Mode, do a reset and rescan. The reset part is important.

3. Check your file paths to different folders that contain plug-ins. Rename the folders, like putting an x in front of the name, so that Cakewalk doesn't recognize the path and therefore doesn't try to load any plug-ins.

If (3) solves your problem, enable/disable various plug-ins until you find the one that's causing the problem. Good luck!

If I'm opening a fresh CbB template and its taking forever to get through the Creating UI, how would it be plugin related, if no plugins have been opened yet?

For what its worth a few of the full projects I've done load fine after I've renamed them. The originals open slow, but the renamed version open fine.

I will give your suggestions a try.  

I just removed all vst folders, restarted and it still is hanging up at the "Creating UI". As mentioned it will eventually open, but it can take 4-5 minutes.

When I opened the "basic" template in safe mode the only thing that is visible is the transport. I just clicked on view "track view" and it populated.

With out any vsts I'm not sure what CbB is looking for when in normal vs. safe mode.