IK MAX Your Workstation Promotion - 50% off SampleTank 4 MAX

Peter - IK Multimedia

2 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

You found one that is sponsored.  I made a thread some time ago about people in these forums using ST4 sounds.   I haven't come across those users in Live, FL forums.  One guy did a project in FL before ST4 came out.  I need to explore what I already have in ST before considering this. 

Did you listen to the 33 tracks made with ST4 on SoundCloud?

27 minutes ago, kevin H said:

Sounds are great.  I just don’t think going from sampletank 3 Max/4 SE to 4 Max should be $149 like everyone else. 

The pre-order price for the upgrade to ST4 MAX from ST3 was $199 in Dec 2018. I got in for $141 with $59 JamPoints on the pre-order.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, abacab said:

The pre-order price for the upgrade to ST4 MAX from ST3 was $199 in Dec 2018. I got in for $141 with $59 JamPoints on the pre-order.

Thanks.  I just think Max to Max upgrade should be less than standard to Max.  But that’s fine.  Did you keep ST3 installed or did you replace it with ST4 Max ?  Was told sounds were improved in ST4 so wondering if I can save some SSD space by removing ST3 related libraries altogether.

@Peter - IK MultimediaWhat do you think? Do I need to keep both ST3 Max and ST4 Max or is the installer smart enough to know what I have and I’m missing to avoid duplicates? 

25 minutes ago, kevin H said:

Thanks.  I just think Max to Max upgrade should be less than standard to Max.  But that’s fine.  Did you keep ST3 installed or did you replace it with ST4 Max ?  Was told sounds were improved in ST4 so wondering if I can save some SSD space by removing ST3 related libraries altogether.

@Peter - IK MultimediaWhat do you think? Do I need to keep both ST3 Max and ST4 Max or is the installer smart enough to know what I have and I’m missing to avoid duplicates? 

Just leave ST3 installed and don't re-install the libraries again, just because they are included in ST4 MAX. The ST3 libraries in the ST3 content folder can be added to a separate path in ST4.

My setup is like this:

D:\SampleTank 3 (contains all ST3 libraries, Syntronik, Miroslav, and ST3 sound expansions such as Neil Peart Drums, Alan Parson's Imperial Grand, etc).

D:\SampleTank 4 (contains all ST4 libraries and ST4 based expansions such as SpacePort 77,  Clavitubes)

ST4 Settings for sound content.PNG

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 2

Yes I have done the same as abacab. Have sound content for ST3 in one folder and for ST4 in another folder.

I also installed ALL of my ST2 and 2.5 stuff then imported it into ST3. Now it can be used in ST4.

And as far as I can see and make out, IKPM doesn't do this.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Grem said:

Yes I have done the same as abacab. Have sound content for ST3 in one folder and for ST4 in another folder.

I also installed ALL of my ST2 and 2.5 stuff then imported it into ST3. Now it can be used in ST4.

And as far as I can see and make out, IKPM doesn't do this.

Do the ST2 sounds reside inside the ST3 folders? When imported into ST3, have they been converted to ST3 format (as opposed to ST3 reading the older ST2 format)?  When I restore from backup, say after I install a larger HD, will I need to re-import the ST2 files or do they look like ST3 files now? All this to say, once I import them into ST3, can I treat them as ST3 files from now on?

21 minutes ago, fret_man said:

Do the ST2 sounds reside inside the ST3 folders? When imported into ST3, have they been converted to ST3 format (as opposed to ST3 reading the older ST2 format)?  When I restore from backup, say after I install a larger HD, will I need to re-import the ST2 files or do they look like ST3 files now? All this to say, once I import them into ST3, can I treat them as ST3 files from now on?

ST4 cannot import older formats. You need to convert them to ST3 format first in order to use them in ST4. There are dual synth engines in ST4, and that covers ST3 & 4. The ST3 format doesn't require import because it can be used directly in ST4.

If you open ST3 instruments in ST4, you will see a little icon in the editor that indicates you are using an ST3 sound, and the editor features will be limited to those designed for ST3.

Only ST4 instruments will show the new ST4 features in the editor. But you still can use ST3 instruments with other new features in ST4 such as the new UI and the new FX view.

Edited by abacab

16 minutes ago, fret_man said:

Once you import them into ST3, you can delete the old sounds as they are now in two folders in ST3, Imported Sample and Imported Instruments. And when you select these sounds in ST4 a ST2  icon show as a picture. The bad thing about it is the way ST4 displays the sounds you can't tell from the menu what's ST 2, 3, or 4 unless you know that instrument.

Maybe there is a way to filter this that I am not aware of, but that's one of the shortcomings I have found in ST4.

Edited by Grem

Abacab, understood. My question was about the ST2 format. Does ST3 only "read" ST2 formats or does it actually convert them to ST3? If I save away the ST2 files that ST3 uses, and then save them back again, are they still accessible to ST4?

In other words, will I always need ST3 present to access my ST2 files? Or, once ST3 converts them, can I save them away with no need for ST3 anymore?

Edited by fret_man

3 minutes ago, fret_man said:

OK, thanks, Grem. Sounds like I can do away with ST3 once it has converted the ST2 files.

Yes, that sounds correct based on everything I've read. I do not have any v2 instruments to test with, but once you have imported them to ST3 and they are in that format you should be good to go.

5 hours ago, fret_man said:

OK, thanks, Grem. Sounds like I can do away with ST3 once it has converted the ST2 files.

I don't know about doing away with ST3.

What I was explaining was that after importing ST2 sounds into ST3, you can then get rid of ST2 because now all ST2 sounds were converted to ST3 and put in folders inside ST3. Doing away with ST3 would also do away with the converted ST2 files. And this is where ST4 is getting all the ST3 sounds from.

Am I understanding you correctly?

10 hours ago, Grem said:

I don't know about doing away with ST3.

What I was explaining was that after importing ST2 sounds into ST3, you can then get rid of ST2 because now all ST2 sounds were converted to ST3 and put in folders inside ST3. Doing away with ST3 would also do away with the converted ST2 files. And this is where ST4 is getting all the ST3 sounds from.

Am I understanding you correctly?

You would need to retain your ST3 content library  (with the imports included). It will work directly in ST4.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1