• New Step Arp script
  • New Chord Strum script
  • New record option to Arpeggiator
  • New Gate Mod, Gate Mod Poly and Gate Mod Bernoulli scripts
  • Various enhancements
  • 40 new Wavetables
  • 100 new Factory Presets

So what's the deal?

Also, there’s 30 % off for those who doesn’t have a previous version. This deal is valid through October 18th and includes two free expansions worth €39/$39 each. Regular price €349/$349, now €244/$244.

PP_FALCON-2_SPLASH.png

• Like 2

To be clear, while UVI does say this deal includes two free expansions, in fact the deal is better than that--you get 100 euros to spend any way you want in the UVI store, and you have a little time to do it.

In my case, I bought Falcon during this sale last year in October and then waited until the 30% UVI Store-wide sale during Black Friday to spend my 100 euros. 

By waiting I got FOUR expansions for an addional 9 euros.   39x4=156    156x70%= 109.   

You could also spend your100 euros on anything in the UVI store, but accumulating expansions really takes Falcon to another level.  There are regular half price expansion sales that will help you add to your collection.

This deal is offered every year, only  at this time.  So if you want the best price on Falcon, the time is now.  But  if you aren't sure, you probably can wait for it to come around again.

I let this deal go by for years.   I'm very happy I finally jumped on it last year. To be honest, Falcon scared me, like it would take me a century to learn.  I think all the extensive documentation on the site backfired for me.  The truth is that if you know a thing or two about synths, it's not hard at all.  It's just sound sources, LFOs, filters, effects,arps and sequencers, etc.  You know all that stuff.  The difference is that Falcon has so many choices. 

The other thing is that you can click on practically any mod source and it will become a button or a switch on the front interface.  One click.  A very nice feature.  And if you make a preset you like, you can drag and drop a picture in as a new front page.  Very cool if you use a free source like Unsplash or Pixabay. 

There are also some odd drum sequencers that you won't find most other places.

Also, they did a lot of updates between the original Falcon and Falcon 2.0.  The kind of updates that other companies charge you for.  So this is an excellent investment as we are only on Falcon 2.1. 

On the negative side, I have found it to be a resource hog. You should be able to load up a lot of layers, but I haven't been able to do that on my computer.  It's main competition is HALion.  I prefer Falcon to HALion, but HALion is less of a resource hog, so it's easier to load up a lot of layers. 

I'm going to buy another 32GB of memory this season, so I will see if that makes a difference. 

And @Fleer  Unify is so light that it will definitely be a better way to layer up a lot of sounds. 

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

Falcon scared me

It should.  It's crazy scary and overpowered. 😃

On the negative side, I have found it to be a resource hog.

Some of those expansion presets will bring any computer to its knees in short order.  And yes I do mean any computer.  Though most non-Falcon UVI library stuff runs like a dream.

I'm going to buy another 32GB of memory this season, so I will see if that makes a difference.

My overclocked ~4.4ghz 16 cores/32 threads and 128GB doesn't make a difference. 😢

Edited by Matthew Sorrels
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Been thinking of getting Falcon and Halion, but I think I'm going to wait until Black Friday and pick up Halion if it goes on sale.  Unfortunately, I missed the last sale 😞

The lack of a trial doesn't help Falcon, either, since I heard it was a massive Resource Hog and didn't support Multi-Core CPUs. 

Also, Steinberg has a better/more diverse Factory Library - good for when I'm on the go and want to do some sketching on my laptop.  I'm pretty minimalist when it comes to these things.  I don't want 15 redundant pieces of software on my PCs; especially my laptop (cause I don't really want to invest more cash in doubling drive space - again - considering it's an all-SSD system)  😐 

On 10/9/2020 at 7:26 AM, Tomgu said:

Best price seems to be at AudioDeluxe.com, $244, but earning $17.07 DeluxeBucks. Anyone know how the free expansions are selected? Upon registration?

I checked and you select your two free expansions when you buy Falcon.    So you need to know the ones you want before you check out.

After your payment is received, they send you an email with a code for your 100 euro voucher code, which is good for two months.  You have to use it all at one time.

I waited until the end of November and got four more expansions.  108 euros during the BF sale.  It cost me 8 euros. 

Starting out with 6 expansions that retail for $39 each was pretty cool. 

On 10/9/2020 at 7:35 AM, Maestro said:

Been thinking of getting Falcon and Halion, but I think I'm going to wait until Black Friday and pick up Halion if it goes on sale.  Unfortunately, I missed the last sale 😞

The lack of a trial doesn't help Falcon, either, since I heard it was a massive Resource Hog and didn't support Multi-Core CPUs. 

Also, Steinberg has a better/more diverse Factory Library - good for when I'm on the go and want to do some sketching on my laptop.  I'm pretty minimalist when it comes to these things.  I don't want 15 redundant pieces of software on my PCs; especially my laptop (cause I don't really want to invest more cash in doubling drive space - again - considering it's an all-SSD system)  😐 

Falcon is less than a GB.   It's actually pretty lightweight, in size anyway.  Still,  I bet all the factory patches--that only use what comes with Falcon--would run fine on your laptop and you could tweak them.

Some of the Falcon expansions have a lot of GB and are very demanding, though.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

I checked and you select your two free expansions when you buy Falcon.    So you need to know the ones you want before you check out.

Thanks. They added the info about selecting the expansions later, at first only the Falcon's price was dropped.

16 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

After your payment is received, they send you an email with a code for your 100 euro voucher code, which is good for two months.  You have to use it all at one time.

I bought it, but I didn't receive the voucher code from AudioDeluxe, so I guess I can hold on with the registration to see, if they have good deals on Black Friday or not.  I've been thinking about upgrading my Vintage Vault in case there is a good deal when I have the 100 eur voucher. The upgrade is usually 299 eur, which is way too much.

The expansions I chose were Lofi Dreams and Plurality. Can anyone recommend other expansions? Where does Falcon shine?

Edited by Tomgu

7 hours ago, Tomgu said:

Thanks. They added the info about selecting the expansions later, at first only the Falcon's price was dropped.

I bought it, but I didn't receive the voucher code from AudioDeluxe, so I guess I can hold on with the registration to see, if they have good deals on Black Friday or not.  I've been thinking about upgrading my Vintage Vault in case there is a good deal when I have the 100 eur voucher. The upgrade is usually 299 eur, which is way too much.

The expansions I chose were Lofi Dreams and Plurality. Can anyone recommend other expansions? Where does Falcon shine?

As I said, you'll get two months to spend the 100 euros.  I bought directly from UVI, so that's why I got the email about the 100 euros right away.   You don't need any expansions to get busy with Falcon though, so no rush.   It has an excellent preset library, and you can get lost in the thing forever.  Start with all the sequencer stuff, like the Step Arp shown above and the Euclidean Drum and Tonal Sequencers.  Just playing the presets is fun.  

Plurality was a good choice IMO.  The other Simon Stockhausen expansion, Ether Fields, is also very good. I'm going to pick up LoFi Dreams the next timer there's a sale on expansions. Maybe during BF.  The only one I ever bought after the six I got at the beginning was Voklm, and I got it for 30% off or $27.   I don't know if they sell them for less.

I really like Atmospherics, Analog Motion, and Voklm.   But it's pretty personal.  What kind of sounds do you want?   If you want big bass, then Subculture. A few of them are heavy on sound design.  I just listened to the demos a lot before Black Friday came along. 

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Addendum: for those who have got a Groove3 subscription and haven’t yet noticed, Eli Krantzberg has expanded his tutorial UVI Falcon 2 Explained so that recent additions in Falcon 2.1 have also been included. The videos added to this tutorial are:

• Magnetic Bass Shaper (02:15) - Hear how this new bass-focused FX module adds the saturation characteristics from two different models of Fasel Red and Fasel Yellow inductors.
  • Feedback Machine (03:52) - The Feedback Machine is a variant of the standard Effect Rack with a featured feedback loop, providing control over feedback amount, feedback injection delay, and overall mix amount. Explore it in action on an aggressive organ lead.
  • Step Arp (05:45) - A beautifully designed hybrid step sequencer and arpeggiator, Step Arp gives unprecedented per step control over every aspect of pitch, time, and more.
  • Gate Mod (04:05) - Learn about this probability based tool that allows us to add note skipping with optional beat protection, delay, and adaptive ratcheting.
  • Gate Mod Poly (04:15) - See how this polyphonic version of the gate mod script is used to add probability based skipping, delays, and ratcheting on a per note basis, using a melodic sequence.
  • Gate Mod Bernoulli (03:38) - Explore this 2 channel probability based note router on a simple melodic pattern.
  • Chord Strum (01:36) - Watch how this new performance script is used to spread out the notes of a chord by pressing a trigger note outside the chord’s range.
  • Arpeggiator Record (03:16) - Discover this fantastic new arpeggiator feature, which allows you to create patterns by step recording the notes presses on your keyboard instead of using the mouse.
  • Like 2

I’ve had so much trouble with these monster synths. Had falcon for a year or so but although super powerful, I just found it way to unintuitive and sold it. Demo’d Halion for a long time but crashed all the time. VPS Avenger was by far the most fun but also that had tons of crashes and was just too flaky. Ended up impulse buying MSoundFactory on an intro buy and it’s by far the most complicated plugin I’ve ever used when trying to tweak 😂 I’m screwed.