Where will it end?

Vernon Barnes

and now this:

Second strain of coronavirus causing pigs to vomit in China 'could spread to humans'
SADS-CoV is thought to have come from bats and has been threatening the livestock industry since 2016 but new research shows humans could be vulnerable to infection

On 10/7/2020 at 2:42 PM, Vernon Barnes said:

I think the last 10 years have been a golden age for non-mainstream music but things are looking grim for independent music in the UK, already squeezed by streaming bands have now lost their touring income and the associated merchandise sales due to the pandemic.  Two weeks ago Anathema call an end to a 25 year career at least in part to the extra pressures https://www.loudersound.com/news/anathema-go-on-indefinite-hiatus

Today Big Big Train announce they have lost two members, while not citing the pandemic the cancellation of this years European and North American tours cannot have helped.

From their social media accounts it seems most bands are soldiering on in increasing despair.  Venues were already under pressure financially and from developers, how many will survive is unknown. The final deal between the UK and EU is unknown and could result in a massive increase in cost for UK bands touring Europe adding another level of uncertainty.

The cancelation o f SXSW and the closure of music venues put a lot of our local musicians here in Austin into a tail spin. I think the same can be said about Nashville. Getting creative to market a bands music was thoroughly squashed on the FaceBook front effective October 1st (though I haven't seen any enforcement of their no music policy. We are just opening up over the last two weeks to live music here. Many venues found a loop hole in state guidelines (serving food) and found a way to partially fill venues.

The additional pressures of techies moving to the greater Austin area also has not helped by driving the cost of housing up both in the purchased and rental markets ($150 USD per sq ft 18 months ago to $300 USD per sq ft.). It makes you wonder how will the music scene be transformed in the Live Music Capital of the USA

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Leadfoot said:

So it's YOUR fault then!!😁

heheh,

no, not me.

the original covid-19 probably came from bats,

but it's not bats' fault.

people should not eat bats.

Bats don't get sick themselves (superior immune system) but they can carry all kinds of nasties,

because they road trip a lot.

Bats are the only mammal capable of true flight

Insect-eating bats may save US farmers $3.7bn each year by reducing crop damage

Hundreds of plant species rely on bats for pollination

Bats are under unprecedented threat from habitat destruction, climate change, hunting and other pressures