Instrument Definitions for softsynth plugins

Sleetah2000

Question

Is it possible to create/edit instrument definitions for softsynths comparable to the methods available for outboard synths (.ins files or Preferences/Instruments)?

I realize that only a limited number of plugins respond to bank/prog change commands, but for those synths it would be quite handy to control the selection from the inspector window, and better still to run a search from the patch browser.  Initially, I’d be interested in creating a definition for True Pianos (Control 0, and Patch nnn), and also trimming out unused user patches from TTS plugin.  I think there may be some other legacy plugins for which this question may apply as well.

For plugins like DimPro and Rapture (where bank and patch change don't respond), I assume that the softsynth options page or a track template are the best, and maybe only methods to grab a favorite patch.

Thanks

3 answers to this question

Unfortunately not. Instrument files don't work on soft synths.

Cakewalk also doesn't send Bank Select messages (Ctrl 0, Ctrl 32) or SysEx to soft synths. I really wish it did.

Cakewalk retrieves the patch list from the VSTi itself.

VSTi's have a list of parameters. Cakewalk saves the values of these parameters  along with your project, so they're recalled the next time you open it.

• Thanks 1

Mark,

Thanks for the thoughtful response.  I’ve learned a good bit from many of your prior contributions in the forum, so I'm glad you chimed in.  That being said, I'm still having trouble understanding one of your comments

• ·         I fully accept the statement that “instrument files don’t work on soft synths” because I certainly couldn’t find any corresponding files for existing plugins.
  • ·         Also, because every time I open a project with existing DimPro, Rapture, or any random FX, said plugins and parameters restore exactly as desired.  So, the following explanation rings absolutely true by personal experience…

VSTi's have a list of parameters. Cakewalk saves the values of these parameters  along with your project, so they're recalled the next time you open it.

• ·         The statements that I’m not understanding  are...

"Cakewalk also doesn't send Bank Select messages (Ctrl 0, Ctrl 32) or SysEx to soft synths. I really wish it did. 

Cakewalk retrieves the patch list from the VSTi itself."

What prompted me to post the original question was an accident I observed yesterday.  I had copied an old midi clip into a TruePianos  track I was working with.  It included the following  2 events

Control 0 1

Patch normal --- 2

This resulted in the ”Emerald” module (bank 1), “Bright Piano” (patch 2).  For TruePianos, modifying the Control 0 (bank msb) and Patch parameters at least appear to mimic sending bank and patch select messages.  TTS  and PSyn II (Ctrl 32 = bank select) also appear to have patch and bank select functionality as well along with patch browser support. 

Absent named instrument definition for the patch browser, it would be nice to be able to select banks and patch names directly from the inspector window, rather than burying these in the event list.   In TruePianos, inspector bank selection is limited to bank 0.  If I could expand that to banks (Control 0, MSB = 1 through 6), I think that would get me as good a workaround as I could hope for.  Are these bank and patch options limited by the retrieved patch list provided by the VSTi, or is there a way to tweak these to include additional banks?

The Bank No. / Program No. must be being reported back from the VSTi.

I've got a few VSTi's that I know respond to bank select (like Yamaha's old XG softsynth), but don't report a patch list.

If I host the XG VSTi in Cantable, and route from Cakewalk via a hardware MIDI interface it will receive the Bank Select, but hosted in Cakewalk, it never gets it. Same with SysEx.

• Like 2